Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase upgrades on check in for award travel??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Purchase upgrades on check in for award travel??

Wife and I are taking a weekender to Long Beach. I was able to get two last minute coach award tickets for 40,000 mile RT total (one seat was immediately available, second ticket I had to go through CP desk and have seat released through inventory control). On check in I was offered the opportunity to purchase an upgrade to first for $65 per seat. I went ahead and purchased but now wonder if I could have sweet talked my way into an upgrade at the gate. Is the upgrade option on Y award travel on check in common? Thoughts?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
If you earned your CP with BIS miles rather than buying up to it, award tickets can be upgraded with the 85k special dividend. They process as a normal upgrade would.

You probably could have asked about it and gotten it for free.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by shawn67
...Is the upgrade option on Y award travel on check in common? Thoughts?
Not sure if it's common/widespread, but known to happen, e.g. this post. Probably easier to do when traveling alone. When traveling with spouse, you were wise to make her happy with confirmed upgrades

You also mentioned "last minute coach award tickets". Since the rules require booking at least 3 days before departure for the 85k Special Dividends upgrade on award travel to kick in, I gather you booked less than 3 days before and that was why the auto upgrades did not happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.