Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Witnessed US Accident at PHL [13 Mar 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:39 pm

We need a Federal Law that says 30 days in jail for going down a a emergency slide with any luggage. You have to appear before a judge to get sentence reduced to a minimum of 24 hours.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by mbece
Will do -if I don't get killed by one of these bozos thinking their $1000 in crap is more important than peoples' lives.
Bag envy???
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I used to fly with empty pockets for comfort, but later realized I would want my phone and wallet if I evacuated a plane. So now they stay in my pockets rather than my under seat bag WHICH WILL STAY PUT IN AN EMERGENCY.

I'm also grateful that I moved up to a flight that arrived at ~1700 today, rather than 3771 which still hasn't left YYZ and is 2+ hours delayed.
So you sacrifice comfort every time you fly, for a one in a million chance you'll have to be evacuated in an emergency situation?? A bit irrational, IMHO. but then again, I find the doomsday preppers to be crazy too.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 6:05 pm

Delete

Last edited by scottsam66; Mar 15, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Old Mar 15, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by scottsam66
So you sacrifice comfort every time you fly, for a one in a million chance you'll have to be evacuated in an emergency situation?? A bit irrational, IMHO. but then again, I find the doomsday preppers to be crazy too.
I sacrifice a *small* amount of comfort (nothing different than how I walk around all day, phone and wallet in pocket).

Now, if I said I left my coat, hat, and gloves on during takeoff from cold climates - that would be irrational. Carrying my phone and wallet in my pocket isn't.

I also leave my seat belt on at all times when seated and actually take the time to read the emergency card and locate the nearest two exits any time I fly on unfamiliar equipment. To me, to do otherwise is irrational.

Feel free to do as you choose, but please read the report posted earlier in this thread about the dangers of pax with bags during an evac before you fly next.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
. . .

I also leave my seat belt on at all times when seated and actually take the time to read the emergency card and locate the nearest two exits any time I fly on unfamiliar equipment. To me, to do otherwise is irrational.
. . .
This. I landed back home at SNA one day... turn off the runway and you hear a few belts unbuckle. Out of no where (as stuff typically happens) plane brakes HARD. Comes to a complete stop VERY quickly. What happened to the people who took off their belts? Face planted the back of the seat in front of them.

What happened? Almost ran over a small Cessna (we were in a 737).
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Staymates788
I have a question about the flight attendant frozen in panic... After seeing the picture of the plane, tail in the air, along with the slide, do you think maybe she didn't want to open the door because the slide wouldn't reach the ground?
I wasn't there so can't assess the FA's behavior, but they're trained to assess the situation outside before opening the door. It may have been the tail-high attitude that caused her to not open either rear door, although he/she should be shouting "turn around, go forward, these exits are unusable". However, this may have been their first real evacuation and one never knows how anyone will react until they're actually in the situation.

As to serving alcohol, that just sounds bizare... I assume someone would be wanting to take your statement. I can't imagine that going well after a few drinks!
The NTSB will get everyone's contact information and be interviewing those passengers it deems necessary. But that will be in the days ahead, not within minutes/hours after the accident.

Jim
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by phllax
Jim,

One last question, in instances of high sustained winds right on the nose on take off, can Vr ever be before V1 on a non-STOL aircraft, and on a runway with enoug length, like Denver's 12,000 and 16,000 foot runways?
I've never seen that, but V1 can have a calculated reduction when there is extra runway available while Vr is not reduced so there would generally be a bigger difference, not a reversal of the two speeds.

One only needs to remember what the two speeds mean:

V1 = in theory the speed at which it takes the same amount of runway to stop as to get airborne. Generally it assumes an engine failure at V1 - the worst case for continuing the takeoff. Winds don't enter into the calculation as best as I remember.

Vr - the speed at which the nose is raised to the initial take-off attitude. Keeping the nose gear on the runway helps acceleration - having the nose up adds aerodynamic drag so reduces acceleration. So the plane shouldn't be airbourne at a speed less than Vr plus a few kts for the time it takes to raise the nose.

You mentioned DEN I believe and in the summer that's a good airport to watch planes taking off. Because planes fly on true airspeed and the indication in the cockpit is indicated air speed, you'll see almost all transport sized planes lift the nose at indicated Vr then roll along on the main wheels until reaching the true airspeed Vr. On the old 727 the difference was about 1000-1500' of runway.

Jim
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
A post over here indicates a tail strike was involved: http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/5...-at-phl/page-4

I can't verify the source or the picture of the tail strike being of N113UW, but I also have no reason to disbelieve it. A tail strike could have occurred on initial rotation before the accident sequence got my visual attention. I haven't seen accounts from those on board indicating a tail strike, and a hard one should have been noticed on board.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:28 am

It could have also happened on the first bounce if whoever was flying pulled back hard at the last moment in an attempt to slow the sink rate - the trajectory of the plane doesn't change instantly due to inertia.

I can't put a number on the attitude required, but tail strikes usually happen with the longer A321 on takeoff since the shorter A320 can tolerate more nose up without hitting the tail - IIRC, the A321 has a replaceable skid pad on the bottom of the tail to prevent fuselage damage. On a normal landing the attitude is nowhere close to striking the tail.

Given that there would be some collapsing of the sheet metal with a cushioning effect and the mains hitting at almost the same time, it's not too surprising that the reports from people on board didn't mention it.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Mar 16, 2014 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:47 pm

Thank You

I would like to thank phlwookie for posting this thread with your eye witnessed details. As a passenger on this plane, I've been searching for more details to what happened. What has been posted in the news leaves out A LOT of detail and made this crash seem as though it was a little skid down the runway. I was starting to believe I was going nuts, literally. What happened on that flight was extremely traumatic and it was a CRASH, twice!

Our flight began with the usual safety talk/demo. Our pilot came on welcoming us aboard, discussed ft. Lauderdale's weather, etc. and prepared us for a bumby ride the first 10min. Or so of flight.

As we speed down the runway for take off our plane had a huge shift/jerk to the left, at this time I think we were off ground or at least the very beginning of that. After that jerk I looked at my friend and said "that's not normal." Right after that we accelerated, which to me did not seem like the normal acceleration. It's hard to explain, as I know nothing about planes. But the acceleration was very forceful but at the same time felt as though skipping gears (does this make sense?) my initial thought to this was the pilot hit turbulence, which he prepared us for and was trying to get the plane through it. We then plummeted what felt straight down as I was in the back of the plane. After we hit ground we then accelerated much like the acceleration from the first crash. And my thought was "why the f--- is he still trying to get us in air." We then smashed the ground a 2nd time...hard. I believe I blacked out at this 2nd impact, as I do not remember the rocking back and forth and skidding as another passenger stated in a previous post.

The next thing I remember is the person in front of me standing up and screaming "what the f was that?"

It was then 30-60 sec. Before the pilot came on and in a monotone voice said evacuate the plane now. I say 30-60sec. Because there was enough time for the girl in front of me to turn to us and ask if this was our phone she found on the ground. There was enough time for passengers to remove their safety belts and start standing up. Then the mid section of the plane had passengers saying we're ok, everything is ok, calm down. I believe this what made some people to start gathering their belongings because of people saying we're ok. Honestly, both impacts hit the ground at a lot of force, there is no way anyone was thinking logically. We were all in shock.

The passengers in the rear of the plane however saw and smelled smoke and started to scream to get off the plane. This is when the pilot came on....

We then turned to the stewardess who looked like a deer in head lights. I don't fully blame her because I do believe she was in shock, however her passengers were looking to her for help and assistance and she was unable to deliver. She did hesitate for awhile. I do believe it was a passenger who finally opened the door for us.

Again, thank you phlwookie!! At this point I still am looking for answers as to what caused this.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Survivor1702
I would like to thank phlwookie for posting this thread with your eye witnessed details. As a passenger on this plane, I've been searching for more details to what happened.
Thanks for your account of what happened. I am wondering if because some people started saying "everything's ok" is what started people to go and grab their bags? Many on here were quick to condemn those who grabbed their bags, but with the shock and then everyone seeming to be ok other than shaken after the landing there might not have been as much urgency to evacuate unless you were at the rear of the aircraft and smelled the smoke.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:13 pm

Right after that we accelerated, which to me did not seem like the normal acceleration.
My guess is that they were using a reduced thrust takeoff due to the runway length and then pushed the thrust levers up to full takeoff thrust if not more. The normal reaction would be for the pilot flying to just push the thrust levers forward because they're looking out the windscreen and not at the thrust gauges - let the other pilot fine tune the thrust as time permits.

Jim
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Again, thank you phlwookie!! At this point I still am looking for answers as to what caused this.
And thank you for your account, and I hope you're doing alright.

I also sent you a private message as an FYI.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
And my thought was "why the f--- is he still trying to get us in air."
It takes a lot longer than one might think for a jet engine to significantly increase or decrease its thrust. Several seconds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.