Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Employees taking most of the choice seats on PHX-DFW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

US Employees taking most of the choice seats on PHX-DFW

Went on US AIR from PHX to DFW. Was upgraded but noticed a lot of people who knew each other and from the overheard conversation, it was clear that they were US Air employees going for merger related work. Many of them were in first and I could hear them talking about managing to get up graded or changing seats etc,

On return flight with refundable ticket booked days in advance, I could not get a seat assignment and could not even print a boarding pass and was told to go the airport. At the counter, I was told that the flight was over booked (not over sold) and I need to go the gate. At the gate (over an hour early), I was told that GA was working on it and I would have to wait.

Again noticed many US air employees in the gate area. Finally one minute before boarding began, I was told the only seat available was a middle and I was given that (No announcements that the flight was oversold and asking for volunteers). We all boarded, and many seats were empty and these were the good seats (including aisle and window).

Another passenger (Chairman Preferred) was also in a middle (and he also was assigned a seat only at that gate) and he had heard that there over 50 US Air employees were on the flight. Suddenly 10 minutes before departure a whole slew people (who obviously knew each other, walked in) and took all the good seats.

Having worked with M & A, I absolutely understand that there deadlines to be met, meetings to be attended, families that employees need to go back to etc. I get that. What I did not get is that revenue passengers were getting the short shift. Should not the non rev's defer to fare paying passengers at least as far as seating? What was even more irritating to me was the GA's refusal to tell me if I was being bumped. I was very concerned that I might not be on the flight especially as I had to be back in PHX the next day and the gate agent was not assuring me that I would be on the flight. Her stock answer was "I am working on your case".

From overheard conversation, there was a lot of people traveling between CLT and DFW also, so my guess is that there is a problem on that sector to.

Any one else have a similar experience or have you also noticed this.

Also, how do I get the message to US Air/American management that we are watching what is happening. I am most probably going to switch to WN even if there is an inconvenience of having to change flights or take a one stop. Again from Oct., I hope WN will fly non stop PHX to DAL and I do not have to deal with this as I think this will continue for at least a year.

Last edited by middlekingdom; Jan 17, 2014 at 3:12 pm
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:00 pm

Non Rev taking most of the choice seats on PHX-DFW on US and possibly DFW-CLT

They are probably traveling positive space and got their seat assignments ahead of tme. When we deadhead we always travel positive space and are seated in the front. Pilots get the exit rows. Our seat assignments are made well in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
That is annoying. I'd be feeling the same as you. I don't know if you have status or not (if you do it might make more of a difference), but call your status line and/or send an email via the US website. I could see choice and preferred seats being where they are placed. In any situation with any airline those are the ones usually left to the end and in an oversold situation the only ones available and probably why the employees got those, vs changing everyone else. With that many people though I'm not sure why they didn't just grab an RJ for themselves though....
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
These aren't exactly non-rev passengers, as GalleyWench pointed out, they are on what is called Positive Space, or Confirmed Space tickets, and can confirm seats just like an elite flyer can. If you had been removed from your seat for them, this would be a bigger issue, but in the end of the day, they are traveling for work just like anyone else.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, WN doesn't do any seating, so the chances of being stuck in a middle depend greatly on how early and quickly you are able to check in, not by your status.

Originally Posted by tashworth
That is annoying. I'd be feeling the same as you. I don't know if you have status or not (if you do it might make more of a difference), but call your status line and/or send an email via the US website. I could see choice and preferred seats being where they are placed. In any situation with any airline those are the ones usually left to the end and in an oversold situation the only ones available and probably why the employees got those, vs changing everyone else. With that many people though I'm not sure why they didn't just grab an RJ for themselves though....
The seats weren't assigned at the last minute....
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Also, just to play devil's advocate, WN doesn't do any seating, so the chances of being stuck in a middle depend greatly on how early and quickly you are able to check in, not by your status.
No, this is not correct, till this year I was SW A list preferred, and we had a few seats reserved for us. Else we could board after A numbers and before the B numbers, irrespective of what our number was for example C30 could board after A60. For the last five years, I never had a problem in WN. Yes, I would have to get back to A list preferred on WN but I could do that. Else you can buy the early bird that gives you priority boarding.

Also, while I get the positive space issue, it may not be an issue if say 5 crew members are dead heading. In this case it was at least 50 or more and I do not see this an one time event. I think this route is going to have this problem for the next few months.

Also to tashworth's comment, why cannot they get a dedicated plane for this if it is going to be in large numbers. Intel for example has its own shuttle on selected routes.

What was more annoying was not being told if I had a seat or not. If they were so over booked or if all seats were taken and they could not give me anything but a middle, they could have told me up front. Why drag me to the airport and keep me dangling to the last minute? I asked the question "Am I on this flight" and the answer was "I am working on it". What was that supposed to mean.

Also, in one of the conversations I over heard, one gentleman said he called someone to get upgraded. That was not assigned seating if he had to do something to get upgraded.

I have status, so I will complain.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by middlekingdom
Good - that's the only way such things get fixed.

While I understand why these people - almost certainly HDQ mid to upper management and staff - are going back and forth, this is the type of thing I was referring to when I said that top management never sees an airline from the viewpoint of it's customers. Taking better seats and if high enough up the food chain being upgraded is certainly not thinking about those who pay their salaries - the customers.

Jim
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
No, this is not correct, till this year I was SW A list preferred, and we had a few seats reserved for us.
I never knew that WN did reserved seats. That's interesting, did it come from the AirTran merger? One of the great things about FlyerTalk, I always learn something new!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awaflyboy
I never knew that WN did reserved seats. That's interesting, did it come from the AirTran merger? One of the great things about FlyerTalk, I always learn something new!
Sorry, I do not want mislead you, there are no reserved seats, but preferred passengers board early and thus can get a good seat (front of the plane, aisle, window etc). Quite recent was the fact A list preferred who bought their tickets at the last moment could still board early, irrespective of what their card said. So they not have reserved seats, what they have reserved boarding slots i.e. you can board early and take a seat of your choice.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:09 pm
Suspended

No, this is not correct, till this year I was SW A list preferred, and we had a few seats reserved for us. Else we could board after A numbers and before the B numbers, irrespective of what our number was for example C30 could board after A60. For the last five years, I never had a problem in WN. Yes, I would have to get back to A list preferred on WN but I could do that. Else you can buy the early bird that gives you priority boarding.

Also, while I get the positive space issue, it may not be an issue if say 5 crew members are dead heading. In this case it was at least 50 or more and I do not see this an one time event. I think this route is going to have this problem for the next few months.

Also to tashworth's comment, why cannot they get a dedicated plane for this if it is going to be in large numbers. Intel for example has its own shuttle on selected routes.

What was more annoying was not being told if I had a seat or not. If they were so over booked or if all seats were taken and they could not give me anything but a middle, they could have told me up front. Why drag me to the airport and keep me dangling to the last minute? I asked the question "Am I on this flight" and the answer was "I am working on it". What was that supposed to mean.

Also, in one of the conversations I over heard, one gentleman said he called someone to get upgraded. That was not assigned seating if he had to do something to get upgraded.

The agent was most likely working down the list, and didn't have an answer for you at that point. The bookings for these supposed employees was also something out of his/her control, so s/he was doing the best they could with limited resources/seats. Additionally, a seat is a seat, regardless of if it is a middle, aisle or window seat, so just because there is only a middle seat available when it sounds like you didn't have an earlier seat assignment isn't a valid reason to not show up to the airport.

An upgrade also isn't the same thing as a seat assignment, seats may have been assigned upon booking, but he might have called a colleague to move him into a different seat.

Last, but not least, if you have status why didn't you reserve one of these seats ahead of time?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
While I can see both sides and I sympathize with the OP, I do not like how "non-rev" has become this pejorative term on FT that makes the employee seem less than a human being. It's more understandable in shenanigans threads but I think we should remember employees are people too just as they should remember the customers pay for the airline to keep flying.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
While I can see both sides and I sympathize with the OP, I do not like how "non-rev" has become this pejorative term on FT that makes the employee seem less than a human being. It's more understandable in shenanigans threads but I think we should remember employees are people too just as they should remember the customers pay for the airline to keep flying.
It's starting to become a term similar to "kettle," which equally disgusts me.

But you do have a point, there are several on FT who have shown a disdain for airline employees, making posts that make it seem like they shouldn't be seat mates with such lowly people and airline employees should be sent to a different part of the plane to sit in when flying for personal reasons.

Last edited by PainCorp; Jan 17, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Last, but not least, if you have status why didn't you reserve one of these seats ahead of time?
Right from the time I booked (6 days before the flight), I could not get a seat the message was the seat will be assigned during check in. I did not think much of it as in the past, I got a seat assigned during check in. I checked in about 20 hours before the flight as was told that I needed to check at the counter for a seat assignment but could not print a boarding pass. I did not have time to call the reservation desk. I went to the counter and they still could not assign me a seat and told me to go the gate with a boarding pass without a seat number. So I have been trying for 5 days.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Right from the time I booked (6 days before the flight), I could not get a seat the message was the seat will be assigned during check in. I did not think much of it as in the past, I got a seat assigned during check in. I checked in about 20 hours before the flight as was told that I needed to check at the counter for a seat assignment but could not print a boarding pass. I did not have time to call the reservation desk. I went to the counter and they still could not assign me a seat and told me to go the gate with a boarding pass without a seat number. So I have been trying for 5 days.
Well that is why, employee travel (for the level I am familiar with) opens up at 13 days, by then most tickets are booked and it is the least amount of inconvenience to travelers at that point. I'm 99% sure had you booked at 14/15 days you would have been able to secure the seats you were looking for.

Not trying to make excuses for what happened, as I can see your frustration, rather just trying to explain the process so it makes sense and you understand why this happened.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
I noticed the same exact thing on DCA-DFW-DCA last week. A TON of employee travelers both ways. I could tell by a lot of the bag tags, mingling together, etc...
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I don't have a problem with employees flying, but IMO, they should not be in the front if there are paying customers that have requested upgrades. That's just not good business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.