Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
That's the policy for the MoveUp program, Award or Revenue ticket, and I assume standby as well. You can find it discussed in a thread in detail here:

Changes To MoveUp Program

Last edited by plon; Nov 3, 2014 at 9:20 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by plon
That's the policy for the MoveUp program, and I assume standby as well. You can find it discussed in a thread in detail here:

Changes To MoveUp Program
Is it different for award tickets? Or is standby different than Move-Up?

Last year (on a paid ticket), DFW-CLT-IAD, I did a move-up DFW-CLT while keeping my original CLT-IAD. The agent even commented that it was easier for her than if she had to check availability for the latter segment also.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
From the US website:

About MoveUp

We allow you to move up to an earlier flight on the day of departure on US Airways flights. You must be at the airport to MoveUp. The MoveUp fee is $75 for flights within the United States, Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada. It's $150 to move up on flights to/from Europe, Israel and/or South America.

You can move up for $75/$150 if the flight is:
  • Within 6 hours of your original scheduled departure
  • On the same day (departing after 3 AM) with the same number of stops
  • All flights have open seats (if you have connecting flights)

Flights that depart after midnight and before 3 AM count as the previous day.

We waive the MoveUp fee for Dividend Miles Preferred and AAdvantage elite status members. However, the same rules apply: the flight must be within 6 hours of your original scheduled departure, and on the same day with the same number of stops.

Standby

Seats on completely booked flights may become available if passengers with confirmed reservations don't show up for the flight.

If there isn't an open seat on an earlier US Airways flight that departs within 6 hours of your originally scheduled departure, you may stand by for that flight at no charge.

You cannot stand by at no charge if:
  • We can confirm that there's an open seat available for that flight
  • You have one or more connecting flights

Unlike a confirmed reservation, flying standby does not guarantee you'll get on the particular flight that you want and may involve waiting for two or more flights before a seat is available to you.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title updated to more accurately describe its contents.

~Moderator
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The post you're responding to is 6 months old.
It's a fluid situation and will change at some point so I personally am interested in any latest update.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I have a similar issue and have gotten no help from either US or AA. Based on what I've read here, it should be possible but I don't know how to go about it.

Here's what I booked: IAH-CLT-MSP

IAH-CLT operated by AA (I found that strange but nonetheless, true)

CLT-MSP operated by US

This was ticketed on US stock but may very well have been AA as the price was the same.

Issue is that I have a 2+ hour layover in CLT and all other IAH-CLT flights are operated by US, so if I were to switch, it would involve going from AA to US.

I called US and asked if I can use MoveUP as an US Preferred since it's their ticket - they said NO - you can't switch carriers

Then I called AA as they are operating the 1st segment and US advises me to check in with them - AA didn't brush me off right away, the agent put me on hold a few times and eventually couldn't give me an answer. If AA policies apply, I'd like to cancel the AA segment and standby for a later US flight that minimizes the CLT connection significantly. If I MoveUP to an earlier US flight, I can potentially also MoveUP the CLT-MSP segment as well. I have no idea how to do any of these - it may be possible at the airport but that would just move a layover from CLT to IAH and it's pointless.

I booked this as the price was significantly cheaper than pure US itineraries - $119 vs. $259

Since US and AA now operate flights for each other on multiple routes, I would have expected that this would have been worked out by now, especially for elites. This effectively takes away our benefits and was supposed to be the other way around. And I have status on both AA and US.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:37 am

I have not been able to cross-carrier standby or SDC.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bttc
I have not been able to cross-carrier standby or SDC.
I really don't think it exists at this point-- at least I've seen nothing to indicate it does.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Though the merger is in process, in many ways AA and US remain separate airlines. Separate FFP for now, separate policies, fleets and IT. This will change as the merger continues, but the two are more like separate airline partners for now.

In cases of irregular operations, one is more likely to get accommodated; under normal conditions, less so.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 14, 2014 at 10:20 am
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:23 pm

Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - USA?

This is YRMV at airport situation.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: National ES
I have an upcoming itinerary that looks like this:
US Ticketed:
AA 148 MIA - CLT 630-835AM
US 1923 CLT - DTW 1120-108PM

Preferred desk told me last week that I could Move UP to once I arrive in Charlotte:

US 5536 CLT - DTW 927-1122AM

No checked bags.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:13 am

Thought I would relay my experience. Mileage run Dfw-phl same day turn. Aa out to phl and us back. I called exp desk and inquired if I could fly standby on an earlier aa flight. I was put on hold for several mins and then he cane back and said yes, since I booked through aa I could do that. He said he would notate my account as well. Fast forward to morning of flight and I inquire at the gate to be put on the standby list. Told no way, no how (aa gate). Called exp desk and was told a completely different story and that no way, no how. This is about the 5th or 6th time this year that exp desk has told me the wrong info or not followed thru with a request I've made. Getting really frustrated with aa customer service or lack thereof.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I was just able to successfully SDC from a purely US operated itinerary to an AA flight. I was booked on AA stock on an AA codeshare on US metal. I called AA last night, but the agent told me I couldn't SDC because the flight was operated by US metal, but I could go to the airport ask for Moveup. However, the US liason in the LAX AC said I wasn't eligible for Move Up because AA issued the ticket but I could stand by for an earlier flight. Not wanting to sit around and wait for a couple of hours, I went down to the customer service center next to gate 42 as a last ditch resort. The agent there was able to process the SDC, but was unable to print my boarding pass. Since I was on an Eagle flight, I went to the Eagle Nest AC where an AAngel was able to print my boarding pass (needed US to release the ticket) and clear my upgrade.

So the moral of the story: YMMV
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:39 am

Just another point of reference from this week.

Was ticketed LAS-DFW-RDU on AA. Called the EXP desk to inquire about a standby redeye LAS-CLT-RDU on US.

Was told no chance. Only option was to apply the AA ticket value to essentially purchase a new ticket.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Can't standby on "other airline's" metal [currently]

I learned a new wrinkle today with AA/US ticketing. Booked on US operated/marketed flights on US stock. My outbound flight went mechanical, so I asked to be rebooked on AA flights to my destination. CP desk said they couldn't do it, since the AA flight was sold out. Fine, I say, I'll go standby. As disrupted EXP, should have a great chance of making it.

Went to see the AAngels at the club, and they inform me that I cannot standby for an AA flight with a US ticket--it has to be reissued by US to an AA segment first. Unfortunately, there were no confirmable seats that day on AA, so US could not close the record to reissue.

As usual, both the EXP and CP desk were helpful, and the AAngel at the club did everything he could, but the system could not accommodate the request. In the end, the flight had no-shows so standbys did get on. Me? I had to buy a walk-up ticket on WN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.