Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Darn. Thanks for the info.
It's relative. They are normally able to do it if you have one segment with US and another one operated by AA on the same itinerary.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Standby, SDFC and irrops are very different and will often have different results.

I've had tickets endorsed to US, UA, LH and a number of others over the years, but always irrops. Eventually we'll wind up with a merged airline with unitary policies, but we're some time from that.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Not yet. AA and US are still separate airlines, with the same corporate owner. They are not one, yet.
It is possible if you have a multiple-leg itinerary and at least one leg is operated by AA and another one by US. I have done it.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
It is possible if you have a multiple-leg itinerary and at least one leg is operated by AA and another one by US. I have done it.
The post you're responding to is 6 months old.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AA
Standby from AA to US and vice versa? (not yet)

Curious what people's experience has been in similar situations.

I have an itinerary booked through US with some legs on US and some legs on AA. On an AA leg, can I standby on an earlier US flight (same day, origin, destination)? Or are the systems not yet communicating for that?

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Resident
Curious what people's experience has been in similar situations.

I have an itinerary booked through US with some legs on US and some legs on AA. On an AA leg, can I standby on an earlier US flight (same day, origin, destination)? Or are the systems not yet communicating for that?

Thanks.
From anecdotes I have read here, no, not supported yet.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Not supported yet under normal circumstances. But if you're dealing with IRROPS you can usually get switched across carriers if there's no good alternatives on your original metal.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
Not supported yet under normal circumstances. But if you're dealing with IRROPS you can usually get switched across carriers if there's no good alternatives on your original metal.
I recently tried to get on a US MIA-EWR flight when ticketed on an AA MIA-JFK flight and the US GA looked at me like I had two heads.

During IRROPS I'm sure there would be greater flexibility, but still you need your ticketed carrier to make the change. Even during IRROPS don't expect to show up at US with an AA ticket and expect it to be honored unless AA has switched your ticket over. But in this regard, US is just like any other alternative carrier that can get you to your destination.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Originally Posted by Blumie
I recently tried to get on a US MIA-EWR flight when ticketed on an AA MIA-JFK flight and the US GA looked at me like I had two heads.
Keep in mind JFK/LGA/EWR are still not considered Co-Terminals by US. If you were ticketed MIA-JFK on US, and tried to get on MIA-EWR you'd still be out of luck.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by plon
Keep in mind JFK/LGA/EWR are still not considered Co-Terminals by US. If you were ticketed MIA-JFK on US, and tried to get on MIA-EWR you'd still be out of luck.
I didn't know that, but I'm not even sure that that even registered with the GA. Her head still was spinning by the suggestion that someone holding an AA ticket might be permitted to board a US flight.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Blumie

During IRROPS I'm sure there would be greater flexibility, but still you need your ticketed carrier to make the change. Even during IRROPS don't expect to show up at US with an AA ticket and expect it to be honored unless AA has switched your ticket over. But in this regard, US is just like any other alternative carrier that can get you to your destination.
The MIA angels put me on a US flight when my AA metal was delayed. It may be a training or capabilities issue with that GA, but they can definitely do it in the AC. As you surmised, they did have to push the 001 ticket over to US and reissue but they handled it all for me, unlike when its done to an offline carrier and you have to schlep between ticket counters and hope the agent can find the eticket.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
+1 with most of the other posters; however, I have found some success when I have purchased the ticket on american paper and then requested to be moved up from an US segment to an AA segment.

+-ADT
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:33 pm

+1
Have had this done on 2 occasions this year when flights were delayed -
(a) US ORF-CLT-DFW switched to AA ORF-DFW direct
(b) AA CLT-ORD-MSP switched to US CLT-MSP direct

Talking to the GAs in a friendly appreciative manner and being flexible helps so so much.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
I generally have not had success with this. That said, I did have a situation where the ticket was issued by US, first segment on US and second on AA. I was able to get on an earlier US flight (and get upgraded). At first the gate agents said this was not possible, but after some persistence, explaining the ticket was issued by US, and the GA seeing my status, she was able to do it. It took a phone call by her to make it happen. She ended up with an A&B certificate.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
US standby / MoveUp differs from AA standby / Same Day Change

I just found out something very interesting about being an AA Plat and flying on a US Air award ticket with no checked baggage, for I only have carry-ons. If US Air cannot confirm your stand-by flights throughout your reservation, then you cannot stand-by for any segments.

For example, today I am flying RDU-CLT-JAX. Because there is no availability on a earlier US Air flight from CLT to JAX, US Air will not let me stand-by on an earlier RDU-CLT flight. That makes no business sense.

Am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.