Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Same-Day Flight Change or Standby AA - US? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: None
US doesn't have SDS and US agents probably aren't that well versed in AA programs so that may be at least part of the problem. US has MoveUp for when seats are available on an earlier flight and standby when seats are not available on the earlier flight. There are some other requirements which must be met, including that either must be requested at the airport on day of departure.

The moral is that if you walk up to the US ticket counter or a US gate agent and say "I'd like to do SDS on flight xyz" you're likely to get a blank stare.

Jim
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I used MoveUp twice with no problem during the very first week of coordinated operations in January. That's not to say there aren't uninformed agents in the system.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
One thing that is odd.... As a former US flier (when I was UA), I used MoveUp once on PHL-LHR no issues. One area where AA is lacking (as a former UA flyer) is doing SDC on Intl flights - even pre merger UA allowed this. Each time I've tried doing an earlier available longhaul Intl segment pull in I've been told the entire ticket will need to be re-fared??

Tried going on the earlier LHR-ORD 4 weeks ago and this week SDC NRT-DFW-LAX vs. NRT-LAX and was told "no can do" - it would be a full refare. Hoping the US policy goes to AA to allow SDC on Intl flights.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by AAPlatRN
Two weeks ago was on US. Tried to SDC for earlier flight and was DENIED. Told that "systems arent integrated yet."
Were you flying US on an all-US metal itinerary bought on usairways.com?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
One thing that is odd.... As a former US flier (when I was UA), I used MoveUp once on PHL-LHR no issues. One area where AA is lacking (as a former UA flyer) is doing SDC on Intl flights - even pre merger UA allowed this. Each time I've tried doing an earlier available longhaul Intl segment pull in I've been told the entire ticket will need to be re-fared??

Tried going on the earlier LHR-ORD 4 weeks ago and this week SDC NRT-DFW-LAX vs. NRT-LAX and was told "no can do" - it would be a full refare. Hoping the US policy goes to AA to allow SDC on Intl flights.
That's consistent with my experience on intl AA flights, e.g., ex-FRA.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: None
For routes with enough frequency (JFK-LHR is a prime example), either SDC or MoveUp should be allowed but I have no idea if it will be. It's those 1-2 times a day destinations that are more problematic.

Jim
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
For routes with enough frequency (JFK-LHR is a prime example), either SDC or MoveUp should be allowed but I have no idea if it will be. It's those 1-2 times a day destinations that are more problematic.
For what it's worth, pmAA do not offer SDC or standby on intercontinental flights like this.

--------------------

Thread title updated slightly to clarify the topic further (AA and US both have levels called "Platinum" so clarification is needed in these cases @:-)).

~Moderator
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
What about using MoveUp on US flights in a mixed AA/US itinerary on AA stock? I have the following routing (on the same day): A - AA - B - US - C - US - D to get there. Can I use MoveUp when I get to B or C?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:49 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Data point to illustrate this is not permitted yet...had an AA issued ticket on the last daily MIA-PHL flight on AA metal. Since my layover was long I went to the earlier US operated flight gate to ask the GA if I could standby. Nope. Nada. Not yet. I was hoping to cut 3 hours off my layover.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Standby / MoveUp on DCA-BNA for OW elites

OK. My guess is no, but I would still like to ask if anyone has tried recently. On AA, as an OW elite, I have had no problem doing standby for free, which is a published benefit for us. However, on DCABNA and v. v., there are both AA and US FLTs, so I am wondering if Standby / MoveUp is limited to AA-to-AA and US-to-US only, or perhaps one can switch between AA and US FLTs. Does it matter whether one books on AA-code or US-code (e. g., if I am booked on a US-coded, AA-operated FLT, may I possibly change to a US-operated FLT)? I ask because OW members can currently get double miles on US-coded, US-operated FLTs, but availabilities on some FLTs are very limited. I am also aware that, unlike AA, US does not include OW elites for MoveUp, but I can give it a try anyway. I can always fly on the FLT I'm booked. Obviously if there is any AA or US elite members who have tried that and can give me recent feedback, that's highly appreciated, since I understand there may not be OW elites who have tried it on this route before.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Possible to standby on US flight if booked on AA Saver Award?

Booked on AA Saver Award from ORD-LAS with a connection in MIA. If I'm flying on US metal, can I standby on an earlier US direct flight? Is there a $75 charge to do this? Does the US policy apply here?

http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/trave...s/default.html

I have Plat status with AA and I'm pretty sure I can fly standby on an earlier AA flight without issue.

Couldn't find this addressed anywhere even though I suspect this is a common question.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
The applicable policies are those of AA, since you booked the award using AA miles. In general, AA permits changes on award travel at no charge as long as origin and destination remain the same.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JPG3392
The applicable policies are those of AA, since you booked the award using AA miles. In general, AA permits changes on award travel at no charge as long as origin and destination remain the same.
Can anyone that has done this comment on how it went down? Did the AA agent issue you a standby boarding pass to get through security on the earlier US flight?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA PLT
Also curious on this if anyone has any insight. Looking at booking ORD-CLT-ORD with Avios, where only one flight a day is operated on AA metal. It has availability, but would like to standby on an earlier US flight if possible. The only US flight availability is on the last flight of the day, which would put most of my desired flights outside of the 6-hour MoveUp window.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Also curious on this if anyone has any insight. Looking at booking ORD-CLT-ORD with Avios, where only one flight a day is operated on AA metal. It has availability, but would like to standby on an earlier US flight if possible. The only US flight availability is on the last flight of the day, which would put most of my desired flights outside of the 6-hour MoveUp window.
Booking with Avios is an entirely different animal - you will have to go back to BA to make ANY changes - NO standbys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.