Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying US Envoy CDG-PHL, which lounge should I use ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Flying US Envoy CDG-PHL, which lounge should I use ?

I did a search but it doesn't yield too much information regarding lounges in CDG, if there is approiate thread I should read, please advise or move.

I had never flown US long haul, but in a few days will be flying US Envoy CDG-PHL (coming from BR C HKG-TPE-CDG, and connect to UA at PHL-ORD)

I have used the lounge finder on *A website, it said I can access AC lounge (T2A), LH lounge (T1), SK lounge (T1), and the official *A lounge (T1).

Do you think I can access all lounges ? I would like to do some lounge hopping as I had never been to CDG, not to mention I have 4.5 hours layover (6:40am-11:10am).

Another question is can I use the US lounge in PHL after arrival ? I am also UA*G (yes I know UA*G cannot access lounges for domestic flights, just curious any chance to use the lounge base on arriving US Envoy). If so which one should I go to ?

Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I did a search but it doesn't yield too much information regarding lounges in CDG, if there is approiate thread I should read, please advise or move.

I had never flown US long haul, but in a few days will be flying US Envoy CDG-PHL (coming from BR C HKG-TPE-CDG, and connect to UA at PHL-ORD)

I have used the lounge finder on *A website, it said I can access AC lounge (T2A), LH lounge (T1), SK lounge (T1), and the official *A lounge (T1).

Do you think I can access all lounges ? I would like to do some lounge hopping as I had never been to CDG, not to mention I have 4.5 hours layover (6:40am-11:10am).

Another question is can I use the US lounge in PHL after arrival ? I am also UA*G (yes I know UA*G cannot access lounges for domestic flights, just curious any chance to use the lounge base on arriving US Envoy). If so which one should I go to ?

Thanks.
I would stick with the *A lounge. At CDG 1, there is no central security, and I don't think you will be able to get into the LH and SK lounges, which are behind security in the Schengen zone in different satellites (so you would have to enter Schengen and clear security just to get to the lounges, and then exit Schengen and clear security again to get to your flight, assuming they even let you through security without a boarding pass for a flight leaving from that satellite.) I haven't been in the SK lounge, but the LH lounge is nothing special and wouldn't be worth the trouble even if you could get through.

Going to the AC lounge would involve entering Schengen and changing terminals.

The *A lounge policy says *G get lounge access in the US when traveling "in conjunction with an international flight," so you should have access. I'd go to the one in B/C, which will be closest to your flight to ORD. There are few differences any more between the lounges in A and B/C. You could also go to the tiny UC between C and D.

Last edited by Phudnik; Dec 23, 2013 at 7:40 am Reason: Added a comment about the LH lounge at CDG, also misread which airline OP is flying to ORD
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
When at CDG, which is several times a year, I just use the shared Star Alliance lounge. It's fine and I'm not tempted to try others at the expense of longer distances/wasted time.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by phlwookie
When at CDG, which is several times a year, I just use the shared Star Alliance lounge. It's fine and I'm not tempted to try others at the expense of longer distances/wasted time.
I agree. Plus you will get there rather early, which is nice as it tends to fill up with all the UA flights to the states plus a few Asian carriers leave around midday (I believe EVA left a gate or two over from our CDG-PHL flight last month).
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
You'll be able to access the *A lounge only imo. IN T1 LH and SK lounges are in their departure sattelite where you clear security so you won't be able to access those without a BP on those airlines respectively.

For T2 and the AC lounge you will have the same problem, as you won't have a BP for a flight leaving that terminal you will not be able to get in past security.

For all its worth, the LH lounge is a tight space underground with no windows, not really worth it imo. Whenever I am in T1 I always wait at the *A lounge which has windows, and a outside patio (only place past customs in T1 where you can smoke). Food is not the greatest but its fine enough!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phudnik
I would stick with the *A lounge. At CDG 1, there is no central security, and I don't think you will be able to get into the LH and SK lounges, which are behind security in the Schengen zone in different satellites (so you would have to enter Schengen and clear security just to get to the lounges, and then exit Schengen and clear security again to get to your flight, assuming they even let you through security without a boarding pass for a flight leaving from that satellite.) I haven't been in the SK lounge, but the LH lounge is nothing special and wouldn't be worth the trouble even if you could get through.

Going to the AC lounge would involve entering Schengen and changing terminals.
So when I arrive on the BR flight, where would it leave me I assume after I reclear security ?

Originally Posted by synd
You'll be able to access the *A lounge only imo. IN T1 LH and SK lounges are in their departure sattelite where you clear security so you won't be able to access those without a BP on those airlines respectively.

For T2 and the AC lounge you will have the same problem, as you won't have a BP for a flight leaving that terminal you will not be able to get in past security.

For all its worth, the LH lounge is a tight space underground with no windows, not really worth it imo. Whenever I am in T1 I always wait at the *A lounge which has windows, and a outside patio (only place past customs in T1 where you can smoke). Food is not the greatest but its fine enough!

^^^

That was my next question, I was about to ask if it is possible to tell them I need to go to a smoking lounge in T2 to smoke so that in order to use the AC lounge in T2. But what you are telling me about the patio in *A lounge seems like it solve the problem.

I prefer an airline operated lounge because it is more original and more style, and I would assume the *A lounge is really generic like a 3rd party operated lounge ?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
I use the *A lounge in CDG Terminal One. Easy to access....outside patio ( )....relatively quiet. The food offerings are sparse in the business section...but that's a non-issue....good enough for a coffee, a pastry, and a rest before flying.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:49 am

So when I arrive on the BR flight, where would it leave me I assume after I reclear security ?
I haven't made connections at CDG1, but at CDG arriving and departing passengers are segregated. Security at CDG1 is located in each satellite, and the *A lounge is after passport control but before security. My assumption (which I'm sure will be corrected if I'm wrong) is that following the signs for "Transfers" will lead you to the non-Schengen area in the central terminal. From there you can find your way to the *A lounge.

I prefer an airline operated lounge because it is more original and more style, and I would assume the *A lounge is really generic like a 3rd party operated lounge ?
The *A lounge isn't terrible. There is natural light (unlike the LH lounge, which is in the basement of its satellite) and a passable selection of food and drink. All things being equal, I would choose it over the LH lounge, even if you could get to the LH lounge.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: US CP
I'd stick with the *A lounge in T1, It pretty good although acn get crowded and seems to be very hot sometimes.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I assume there are showers in the *A lounge right ?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Yes.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: US CP
In the hallway on the left as you walk in the lounge
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EP
A point to consider when using the *A lounge @ CDG: The only way to get to the lounge is via 3 small lifts/elevators (accessing several levels) which can be very busy since they are shared by several lounges as well as a public smoking room. Back in September when I was there, it took me nearly 20 minutes to get into a single working lift as to be able to return to the boarding area. Yep, we were told that there were no stairways.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synd
I am in the star alliance lounge right now, actually found that there is a smoking "room" one level below the entrance to the star alliance lounge (I think the same level to the AF lounge) where anyone can access, and it is indoor.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
So do we have any info on what lounge Envoy passengers at CDG will be using once US leaves the *A?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.