Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Issues Timetable for US Partnership Termination

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

United published details of the "wind-down" of its US Airways partnership.

It looks like a very civil breakup but I'm certain we'll hear of some kinks at some point.

United Airlines Issues Timetable for Ending US Airways Partnership

United Airlines issued a statement to its customers late Monday providing a schedule for the wind-down of its relationship with US Airways. US Airways consummated its merger with American Airlines on Monday and will exit its partnership with United as well as its membership in Star Alliance on March 30, 2014.

The Chicago-based airline said it will be “business as usual” until the partnership ends
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DCann
United published details of the "wind-down" of its US Airways partnership.

It looks like a very civil breakup but I'm certain we'll hear of some kinks at some point.

United Airlines Issues Timetable for Ending US Airways Partnership
This was in the US email to us this afternoon:

We'll exit Star Alliance on March 30, 2014 and, as of today, we'll no longer offer codeshare flights for sale on United Airlines. Rest assured any reservations you may have with United Airlines and other Star Alliance partners are safe, and you'll continue to earn miles and receive benefits until that time.
Does that mean earlier than United thought? Other than honoring existing reservations and allowing them to credit to US?

Confused.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Whats confusing? United has been winding down code shares for months. They simply don't exist anymore. US is still part of *A until March and until then you can earn miles on either airline and credit to Mileage Plus or Dividend Miles. Reward tickets are available for purchase up until US leaves *A and you can purchases any available ticket in the schedule even beyond March.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:17 am

Will UA Clubs still honor US membership until March 30?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Park3755
Will UA Clubs still honor US membership until March 30?
They should, per agreement

...As our agreement with United Airlines comes to a close, US Airways Club members will no longer have access to United Clubs after March 30, 2014. United Club members will no longer have access to US Airways Clubs after that date as well.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
And what is I have a US Airways reservation made before the merger but flying after March 30, where will the miles go?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:32 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chx1975
And what is I have a US Airways reservation made before the merger but flying after March 30, where will the miles go?
If you're flying UA metal, I'd guess UA or a *A carrier. If it's US metal, then US or a OW carrier.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: United PPlat, Marriott Plat, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
If you're flying UA metal, I'd guess UA or a *A carrier. If it's US metal, then US or a OW carrier.
After March, US flight might not credit to OW member that quick.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by NAHKGFlyer
After March, US flight might not credit to OW member that quick.
Yes - there may be a need to claim them manually
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by chx1975
I think it unlikely that you would be able to credit the miles to Aeroplan, if that's your intention. But you may be able to get a full refund, even if the ticket is non-refundable, if you wish to do so and are able to book an alternative flight within *A.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JPG3392
I think it unlikely that you would be able to credit the miles to Aeroplan, if that's your intention. But you may be able to get a full refund, even if the ticket is non-refundable, if you wish to do so and are able to book an alternative flight within *A.
Can you explain the rule(s) that will somehow make a paid nonrefundable ticket refundable?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I would be surprised if an inability to credit the FF program you would like is sufficient basis to request a refund.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm looking to get to OKC in mid February. Since code shares aren't available I can either fly UA and credit the flight to US or I can fly Phx-DFW and back and then book on AA from DFW to OKC and back. I'd have to coordinate things with AA and it may be a pain if I need to check a bag (which I unfortunately may have to).

Just to confirm - I can book on UA and still credit it to US since it is before the March 30th date, correct?

What seems like the better option? Pricing isn't a huge concern as my work will pay.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: None
I would hope that by mid-February they'd have the reciprocal US/AA booking/crediting worked out. That should include checking bags all the way to destination. Unfortunately only an official announcement will let you know for sure and given the HQs being closed for Christmas and New Years it may well be sometime in January before you know.

Jim
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I'm looking to get to OKC in mid February. Since code shares aren't available I can either fly UA and credit the flight to US or I can fly Phx-DFW and back and then book on AA from DFW to OKC and back. I'd have to coordinate things with AA and it may be a pain if I need to check a bag (which I unfortunately may have to).

Just to confirm - I can book on UA and still credit it to US since it is before the March 30th date, correct?

What seems like the better option? Pricing isn't a huge concern as my work will pay.
I just booked a transcon on UA for mid-January. Benefits are guaranteed until March 30th on UA and reciprocal benefits on AA are still too up in the air for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.