Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

what's causing all the US Airways delays into and out of CLT today? (not the weather)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's causing all the US Airways delays into and out of CLT today? (not the weather)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:42 am
Original Poster

according to Flightaware, CLT takes first prize in the number of delays and cancellations today?

Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
METAR history shows visibility was 0.5 miles or less, with fog reported, for several hours this morning. That's the only possible explanation I can see.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I think we have a winner & I also just read on another forum a rumor and again it's only rumor that mtc is "working by the book" causing lots of intl delays.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: None
FAA status notices show CLT being below CAT I for a fair part of the morning followed by ground stops for flights going to CLT off and on.

Jim
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:34 am

CPRich and BoeingBoy pretty much covered the basic issue for CLT yestersday morning. The area of the airport got foggy starting around 6a, and didn't lift until around 9a. There was a point of time that you could not see across the ramp from D-conn to E-conn (D10 looking north toward E11,13,15). Some flights did get in during this period, but the backlog of early flights trying to get in along with the 2nd bank of inbounds didn't help with delays (at least express ops).
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by CLTmech
Some flights did get in during this period, but the backlog of early flights trying to get in along with the 2nd bank of inbounds didn't help with delays (at least express ops).
Mainline is all CAT III capable (i.e. autoland) as far as I know (but new captains have to get time in before they are able to do CAT III approaches) but not all Express carriers/plane types are. I think most are only CAT I. There must have been a lot of diversions - I've never noticed ATC putting out a status update calling for noting "diversion" on flight plans for flights into CLT that had been diverted.

Jim
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
I love when random people look out the windows, see a clear day, and just automatically assume its not the weather...
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Mainline is all CAT III capable (i.e. autoland) as far as I know (but new captains have to get time in before they are able to do CAT III approaches) but not all Express carriers/plane types are. I think most are only CAT I. There must have been a lot of diversions - I've never noticed ATC putting out a status update calling for noting "diversion" on flight plans for flights into CLT that had been diverted.

Jim
As a fill-in lead mechanic I have access to view the flight plot for our Mesa system flights, and was watching how some of the early flights were on the way and then ended up in GSO, or other spots, but a couple made it in somehow. Watched one switch to ROA and then sneak in on us a few minutes later. A larger number either returned to gate before leaving, or never pushed out.

Had one of our pilots comment yesterday that they are going to start training to Cat II standards when their recurrent training comes due. Hope that it will help with fog events, but might be more work for the MX department.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.