Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL-ISP crew kick off blind man w/service dog; flight cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
The top comment under that story is from a woman claiming to have been on the flight:

"I was the woman seated next to and with Albert the entire time. I witnessed first hand the blatant discrimination and threatening manner exhibited by this flight attendant. Albert had no seat in front of him, she kept telling him (as if he could see the interior of the plane) that he had to keep putting the dog under a seat when he had no seat in front of him. I gave up my foot space and we did our best to calm Doxy as we sat and sat. My heart broke when they threw him off and yes, I was the first voice to speak out bc we cannot tolerate this. The pilot told me first then all of us if we didnt want to leave without them then I and we could get off. We didnt budge so they kicked us off. The truth really has to be told."
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:03 pm

Do US Airways train flight attendants how to deal with this type of situation?
(mainline and express)

Guide dogs weren't invented yesterday.

Where is the common sense in all of this? The FA was clearly at fault based
on the YouTube video that was just posted. Would the FA have asked a
mother with a loud crying baby to muzzle the baby or "stow" the baby?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
The FA was clearly at fault based
on the YouTube video that was just posted.
I can't find it on youtube. Can you share the link?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: Motel 6, LLO Titanium
Time to speak up for the pooch! I loved the videos of the PAX with his Friend at his house. What a great dog and relationship!

I see that his luggage had priority tags on them...
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:50 pm

"This reduced the FA to tears." I wonder what an actual emergency would have done ...
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
"This reduced the FA to tears." I wonder what an actual emergency would have done ...
That's exactly what I was wondering. I don't want that FA on my flight.

In an actual emergency, she'll be as useful as Jell-O from the "Airplane" movie..

How come nobody has bothered to interview to dog yet? Perfect time
to test that iPhone app called "Dog Translator" !!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dog-...351995731?mt=8
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Why do I get the feeling that some people heard "blind man kicked off flight" and knew everything they needed to know to condemn the actions of the F/A?

Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
That's exactly what I was wondering. I don't want that FA on my flight.

In an actual emergency, she'll be as useful as Jell-O from the "Airplane" movie..

How come nobody has bothered to interview to dog yet? Perfect time
to test that iPhone app called "Dog Translator" !!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dog-...351995731?mt=8
I dunno. I think there's a HUGE difference between being berated by humans trying to hurt you emotionally, and dealing with an emergency.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by dml105

I dunno. I think there's a HUGE difference between being berated by humans trying to hurt you emotionally, and dealing with an emergency.
Yes, you're right... remember the flight attendants on Singapore Air 747-400(flight 006) that crashed?

quote: "The investigation has also found that even though some flight attendants risked their lives to save people, others failed to help passengers open emergency doors, fleeing the plane before all inside had been rescued...........
Passengers have testified that a flight attendant in the back section of the plane could not offer instructions on how to open an escape hatch because she was paralysed with fear. "Myself and another passenger were trying really hard to open this door but we couldn't," said Sally Walker, from the US."
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dml105
Why do I get the feeling that some people heard "blind man kicked off flight" and knew everything they needed to know to condemn the actions of the F/A?
Good to see a somewhat rational human enter this conversation, especially without using "wow" as his opening words ^

I believe the guy to be a freak, using his poor dog as a way of advancing his agenda. Note if you will the mention of a lawyer...

Really no different that a parent who can't control his small child...running down the aisle...a safety hazard that needs to be disembarked before becoming a true safety hazard. Kudos to the pilot in command for taking charge of the situation and seeing to it that everyone eventually got to ISP.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by GaryZ
Good to see a somewhat rational human enter this conversation, especially without using "wow" as his opening words ^

I believe the guy to be a freak, using his poor dog as a way of advancing his agenda. Note if you will the mention of a lawyer...

Really no different that a parent who can't control his small child...running down the aisle...a safety hazard that needs to be disembarked before becoming a true safety hazard. Kudos to the pilot in command for taking charge of the situation and seeing to it that everyone eventually got to ISP.
And the apologists have arrived.

Agenda, the word rich white guys and some gals use when someone wants their equal rights.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
The one thing I noticed in the comments so far is about the pilot canceling the flight. That is the one thing the Captain can't do. Only dispatch has that authority since they know what in the way of other aircraft/crews are available.

Jim

Actually, the pilot can kick the FA off and then if there are not enough FAs, the plane cannot fly.

This seems to me what happened. The FA was abusing her authority and the Capt refused to have her on his flight. As US Air paid for the bus, this makes the most sense.

Way to go passengers. The FAs who make their own rules should take this to heart. And while the union may protect her job, she may well have to undergo more training in customer relations (at less pay!). Plus if she gets a reputation, other Capts may refuse her on their plane!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would hope that the passenger with these huge emotional service animals would have been forced to buy two additional seats for them.
Well
You lost my vote with that comment. When they enforce the rules about large large people....
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by studentff
Simple. Flight crews that go on power trips are delusional in their belief that their power is absolute within their little

We have seen this time and time again; one passenger disagreeing with a crew member is "disruptive" while multiple passengers disagreeing with a crew member is a "safety hazard."

Don't these passengers know they are supposed to defer to the FA and cockpit crew like peasants deferring to royalty, regardless of how absurd the actions of the crew are?
Best post of the year
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Actually, the pilot can kick the FA off and then if there are not enough FAs, the plane cannot fly.

This seems to me what happened. The FA was abusing her authority and the Capt refused to have her on his flight. As US Air paid for the bus, this makes the most sense.

Way to go passengers. The FAs who make their own rules should take this to heart. And while the union may protect her job, she may well have to undergo more training in customer relations (at less pay!). Plus if she gets a reputation, other Capts may refuse her on their plane!

Wow... that brought back memories of a Pan Am flight attendant who made
me take off my Red Sox cap. She said loudly "Sir, you're in PAN AM
INTERNATIONAL FIRST CLASS, please remove your hat or else
you'll have to fly on a later flight or Lufthansa..."
Since it was
the last FRA-JFK flight that day, I removed my cap under protest. I still
believe she made me do it because the Red Sox had badly defeated the
Yankees the night before. (Pan Am was New York-based )

If I had a Yankees cap on, she would probably have given me a pat on the
back and an extra jar of caviar during the flight. Instead, she made me feel
like a 6-year-old kid.

Interestingly, the year after Pan Am went belly up, I moved to New York
City and became a Yankees fan ever since.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

John McDonald, the US employee who signed that Facebook post, is as worthless as Liz Landau, the US spokeswoman quoted in the Newsday article. Someone with some education needs to tell these two clowns to turn in their shovels, as they've both proven way too adept at digging the hole deeper when they should have been thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.