Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Demographic info for Preferred members

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Oh, gosh. This one made me smile. About 80% of the preferred flyers departing from and returning to my home base seem to be Democrats (I base this assertion on jokes about Boehner, Cheney etc that I have heard during long waits and layovers. Also I know some of the flyers.) The rest are so far to the left that they won't have anything to do with Democrats or the GOP. It if it were possible to establish facts from anecdotes, I'd have to argue that the entire group of US Airways elite flyers is dark blue--and half of them are women,too.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm Platinum (closing in on Chairman's) and only 1 of the 5 categories fits me. I'm between 30-60 (female, Democrat, middle class & from Central Florida).
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
My three year old daughter was silver last year.... I let the wife get it this year.... so technically they both qualify only for being near a US focus city....

Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
I'm all Five (US Gold)...and I'm surprised at how many people that fly enough for work to be elite would align themselves with the "D"'s. As a sales person who is paid solely on performance I can barely stomach the current President's so called policy of "fairness". Each to their own...

Last edited by davidsc111; Sep 28, 2013 at 7:17 am
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by NYCommuter

I would assume that Preferred members would be disproportionately:

(1) Men
(2) Age 30-60
(3) Republican
(4) Upper-middle to upper-income
(5) Located around US hub cities (and NYC and Boston, due to the Shuttle)

I'd be curious to see what others think, and if there is any data to back up this information.
4 for 5 for me.

My main airport is BWI so not near a HUB city (I never fly out of DCA).
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Out of curiosity, are there reports of Preferred members' demographic information out there? I never see US asking for demographic info about me
They've done sample surveys to sell ad space in the magazine and throughout the plane. Thus, US flyers (not just elites) look a lot like the traveling population at large, which largely conforms to your stereotypes:
60% male (most people taking trips are male, per National Household Travel Survey)
69% are 25-54 ("55% of business trips... 30-49" NHTS)
54% college grad
59% professionals/managers (these 40% of workers take 53% of trips - NHTS)
$129K median HHI (similar to $125K for all frequent flyers, from Clear Channel survey on in-airport advertising)
56% $1M+ household assets ("millionaires")

The US Airways link has different surveys for flyers and magazine readers, from which we can surmise that women are more likely to read the magazine.

I'd also surmise a Republican skew from the above demographic profile, and that might impact the products I'd seek out magazine advertisements for.

And if US really wanted to, they could probably glean a lot of information about you based on travel patterns and ZIP code. Predictive analytics, cross-referenced with consumer databases, allow an astonishingly detailed look.

Last edited by paytonc; Sep 29, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: US GP, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by paytonc
They've done sample surveys to sell ad space in the magazine and throughout the plane. Thus, US flyers (not just elites) look a lot like the traveling population at large, which largely conforms to your stereotypes:
60% male (most people taking trips are male, per National Household Travel Survey)
69% are 25-54 ("55% of business trips... 30-49" NHTS)
54% college grad
59% professionals/managers (these 40% of workers take 53% of trips - NHTS)
$129K median HHI (similar to $125K for all frequent flyers, from Clear Channel survey on in-airport advertising)
56% $1M+ household assets ("millionaires")

The US Airways link has different surveys for flyers and magazine readers, from which we can surmise that women are more likely to read the magazine.

I'd also surmise a Republican skew from the above demographic profile, and that might impact the products I'd seek out magazine advertisements for.

And if US really wanted to, they could probably glean a lot of information about you based on travel patterns and ZIP code. Predictive analytics, cross-referenced with consumer databases, allow an astonishingly detailed look.
Interesting stuff.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: US CP, Marriott Life Platinum, AVIS 1st
Out of curiosity, are there reports of Preferred members' demographic information out there? I never see US asking for demographic info about me (other than income and the like, when applying for a credit card, and I assume that the credit card issuer is very limited in what information it can give US).

I would assume that Preferred members would be disproportionately:

(1) Men
(2) Age 30-60
(3) Republican
(4) Upper-middle to upper-income
(5) Located around US hub cities (and NYC and Boston, due to the Shuttle)

I'd be curious to see what others think, and if there is any data to back up this information.
Pretty much spot on with the exception of #3. Consider myself independent - fiscally conservative but not socially.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: None
#3, 4, and 5 are somewhat problematic. Since most FF's tickets are paid for by either the employer or customer, the mere fact that most FF's fly doesn't mean much about political party affiliation. Depending on how "upper middle income" is defined, FF's may or may not generally make more than that. Finally, with the reduction in the number of hubs in the east, many FF's that were somewhat "hub captive" are now "hub orphans" but still fly US - US depends on all the passengers from non-hub cities making connections in the hubs and without them would probably be losing money or cutting service to those cities.

Jim
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mbece
I'm none of those, but that's what I'd expect to see too -except for the political bias, I know very little about US demographics, but it could be true if we think maybe income is a proxy for going republican?
I wouldn't expect many GOPers live in Austin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.