Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
The current state of affairs for international arrivals at LAX is as under:

Due to on-going construction at Los Angeles International Airport, American’s operation will be affected over the course of the next year or more. For the foreseeable future, American’s international flight arrivals, with the exception of its Shanghai plane, will land and unload passengers at Terminal 4. The international passengers will then use nearby stairs to access the ramp where they will board busses and be transported to the new Federal Inspection Service facility at the new Thomas Bradley International Terminal. American’s Shanghai flight will arrive at TBIT. All of American’s international departures will remain at Terminal 4 for the near future.

American is working closely with Los Angeles Airport Authority officials to lessen the impact airport construction has on customers and airline employees. The construction projects are necessary to enhance our customer travel experience in the future. We appreciate everyone’s understanding.(Source; HT: gleff)
It is understood that PVG flights will be arriving directly to TBIT.
Print Wikipost

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Question: what is the logic for making us pull into Gate 41? I can understand the fact that we will need to be processed through TBIT, but pulling up to Gate 41 is an additional step/problem/inconvenience for the travelers. Does it only serve AA's needs?
With all the extra steps/escalators and then long drive around, it almost feels as if the remote west gates would be better than Gate 41. Is it just so that the plane stays at T4?
Probably cost. It saves AA money by not having to "rent" and staff a TBIT gate and then tow the plane back to T4.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Arrived yesterday on AA137. Pulled up to Gate 41 then onto a bus to TBIT (all the way around to the north end) where we then wandered through the terminal upper level as if we had arrived in one of the new gates.

Question: what is the logic for making us pull into Gate 41? I can understand the fact that we will need to be processed through TBIT, but pulling up to Gate 41 is an additional step/problem/inconvenience for the travelers. Does it only serve AA's needs?

With all the extra steps/escalators and then long drive around, it almost feels as if the remote west gates would be better than Gate 41. Is it just so that the plane stays at T4?

I assume any sort of complaining/writing to AA will have no effect on this situaton?
It's not just easier to have the plane at 41. They would then need staffing at TBIT, which is a whole other terminal for 3 spread out flights. Yes, I know PVG comes in there, but TBIT gates are also limited right now on availability. West end gates would also require just as long of a bus ride....
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:05 am

I was on AA 182 (PVG-LAX) today. We were originally scheduled to arrive at 43X, but landed nearly an hour early and arrived at gate 130 in TBIT. Closest gate to immigration and I went from plane to curb in 10 minutes thanks to Global Entry.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The makeshift jetways at the remote gates seem prone to failure. Friday's AA 137 pulled into 1 but it wouldn't deploy and they had to wait a reported 1.5 hrs for a tow to another gate. Upon departure as AA 136 the jetway wouldn't swing out of the way and the already 30 min delayed flight was further delayed by another half hour.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:45 am
Suspended

"We're American Airlines doing what we do best".... (Probably down to LAX and the Government cutbacks closing CBP at T4. I think LAX is best avoided for the next year or so.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
I was on AA 182 (PVG-LAX) today. We were originally scheduled to arrive at 43X, but landed nearly an hour early and arrived at gate 130 in TBIT. Closest gate to immigration and I went from plane to curb in 10 minutes thanks to Global Entry.
I too was on this flight, but had to recheck my bag then walk over to T4 and go through security to make my connection. Not a big deal, but not the best experience. I'll look to avoid this route until 2015.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by SFO777
Probably cost. It saves AA money by not having to "rent" and staff a TBIT gate and then tow the plane back to T4.
AA is already arriving into TBIT with the PVG flight.

It is likely there simply aren't any gates available when the LHR, NRT and GRU flights land, and AA doesn't get it's TBIT gates until construction ends.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:49 am
Suspended

Any updates? Is the circus still going on? Cannot avoid LAX at Christmas unfortunately.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
wrong thread

Last edited by serfty; Nov 10, 2014 at 5:15 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Just arrived 135. TBIT gate and semi machine based CBP. Bit of a walk but fantastic. Good job guys.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is 135 still coming in to TBIT?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Is 135 still coming in to TBIT?
Hit and miss. On 2/11 it came into Bradley at a gate directly across from CBP. With Global Entry I was able to make it to T-4 Admiral's Club within 20 minutes of deplaning.

Today however it came into gate 41.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Are US flights still going out of terminal 6? Any reason this would change before August? I am flying Qantas down to Australia and back but haven't booked my PHX to LAX portion (it was cheaper to book separately) which I plan to do on US. I am just curious if landing at 6:25 at TBIT and leaving on a US flight at 7:45 is doable. I'll be in Business on Qantas and won't be checking bags and have global entry so I have to think that is plenty of time for me (also have TSA Pre).

Regardless, I'll probably wait until 6 weeks out to book that portion so I'll see if anything has changed around then but was curious if what I currently know is correct.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: WFBF
As of last Tuesday, US still flew out of T6 at LAX.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
US is not leaving T6 and American Airlines will be in T6 for a very long into the future indefinitely, well after the two combine entirely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.