Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
The current state of affairs for international arrivals at LAX is as under:

Due to on-going construction at Los Angeles International Airport, American’s operation will be affected over the course of the next year or more. For the foreseeable future, American’s international flight arrivals, with the exception of its Shanghai plane, will land and unload passengers at Terminal 4. The international passengers will then use nearby stairs to access the ramp where they will board busses and be transported to the new Federal Inspection Service facility at the new Thomas Bradley International Terminal. American’s Shanghai flight will arrive at TBIT. All of American’s international departures will remain at Terminal 4 for the near future.

American is working closely with Los Angeles Airport Authority officials to lessen the impact airport construction has on customers and airline employees. The construction projects are necessary to enhance our customer travel experience in the future. We appreciate everyone’s understanding.(Source; HT: gleff)
It is understood that PVG flights will be arriving directly to TBIT.
Print Wikipost

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Other than the bus (which from that last post might not always be required) and the walks to CBP and then TBIT>T4, the worse part of all this might be the (same as before) being thrown curbside and having to clear TSA again at T4, now that their putting kettles in the Pre line.
Sounds like the bus is required when landing in T4. That's enough of a deterrent that I switched an upcoming LHR-LAX trip to go via DFW.

The kettles in Pre-Check is a different issue, and from recent reports is making a nasty mess of Pre-Check.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
So just some info I thought I would pass along.

I came in on 137 last night - I'd taken a break over the summer from my 2+ RT TALTs a month, almost always routing back through LHR, so this was the first time I had the joy of the dreaded bus!

Indeed, Gate 41 welcomed us back like so many times before, and out my window were two LAWA buses idling and a orange cone lined walkway waiting for us. Sigh...

Trying to temper my anger we walked up the jetbridge, over, and then down stairs to the ramp and on to the bus. It was fast, efficient, and overall uneventful. Pleasenlty I thought "this might not be so bad..." Whoops. As others point out, we then went for a joy ride around 85% of TBIT! Just a "short ride" away? Oh no... I swear someone at LAWA looked at a map of the airport and asked aloud "how can we make them walk as far as possible?!"

Offloaded it was a hike up, and up and then over, and then down to CBP. Then an extra walk to the GE machines. (Frustratingly - US citizens that were with me in J, but not GE were able to clear faster than I was as #3 at the bank of GE machines due to the distance away the GE machines are placed.)

Overall - not terrible, but not the T4 CBP or even "tunnel-sprint" that I miss, and, in part, choose 137 on AA vs. a BA flight for.

The most important thing though was my conversation with an AA agent at baggage. Jokingly I said "so I'm on 137 three more times before the end of the year, which ones should I switch to BA before the tunnel is back?" She looked at me, laughed and then said "all of them... we're tearing out gates 41, 42 and 43 for good. We'll use the bus until the tunnel is back, but in 2014 we'll start sending international arrivals to the remote stands."

Ok - so I don't know for sure what that means... but my initial take away was T4 would be losing gates toward the first part of the terminal? Given my question, which was basically to say "I hate the bus" the answer was disconcerting to hear that apparently 137 or any international AA arrival would go to "remote stands" (I assume these are the slots out west of TBIT that also require buses?!)

Take that for what you will - could be misinformation, or still unconfirmed but thought I would share it here. YMMV.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Parkdesigner
The most important thing though was my conversation with an AA agent at baggage. Jokingly I said "so I'm on 137 three more times before the end of the year, which ones should I switch to BA before the tunnel is back?" She looked at me, laughed and then said "all of them... we're tearing out gates 41, 42 and 43 for good. We'll use the bus until the tunnel is back, but in 2014 we'll start sending international arrivals to the remote stands."

Ok - so I don't know for sure what that means... but my initial take away was T4 would be losing gates toward the first part of the terminal? Given my question, which was basically to say "I hate the bus" the answer was disconcerting to hear that apparently 137 or any international AA arrival would go to "remote stands" (I assume these are the slots out west of TBIT that also require buses?!)
I don't think the agent knows what they were talking about.

I'm not certain, but my guess is that 41 and 43 will be reconfigured without the international arrivals infrastructure as AA gets the preferential use of four new TBIT gates and will use those for all international arrivals. Essentially, 41 and 43 will become domestic gates.

There have been rumours that AA will dedicate two gates at JFK and LAX for the new A321 transcons, perhaps with jetways that can use the 2L doors (some airlines do not use them as the doors are somewhat close to the left engine). If those rumours pan out, look for 40 and 42 at LAX to become dedicated transcon gates as they're reasonably close to the AC/FL.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Sounds like CBP facility at T4 will be gone for good and Gate 41 and Gate 43 will become pure domestic gate, no international arrival capable. Assuming enclosed walkway between T4 CBP and TBIT CBP will be closed also, since there will be no CBP facility at T4.

What the agent said sounds like there will be some time gap between Gate 41 and Gate 43 become domestic only gate and the completion of underground tunnel between T4 and TBIT where AA will have access to TBIT gates. During that period AA international arrival at LAX will use remote gate.

Does not sound fun. Too bad that there will be no more CBP facility at T4, it sure was great going through the formality at T4 rather than TBIT. I hope TBIT will have larger CBP area for arrival upon completion of the renovation. Also Department of Homeland Security need to staff more people so that more international arrival passengers can be processed in shorter time.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm not certain, but my guess is that 41 and 43 will be reconfigured without the international arrivals infrastructure as AA gets the preferential use of four new TBIT gates and will use those for all international arrivals. Essentially, 41 and 43 will become domestic gates.
I thought one of the reasons for the new secured connector between TBIT and T4 was to allow int'l pax to deplane at T4, walk to TBIT, clear immigration and customs and security, then walk to T4 airside. No?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:52 pm
Suspended

This just gets worse. Why spend all that money on 777-300's and upgrade cabins, catering , turn down service and then screw up the one thing you did really well. Somebody at AA should get fired for agreeing with this.

Last edited by flyertalker54234; Nov 3, 2013 at 2:00 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by anabolism
I thought one of the reasons for the new secured connector between TBIT and T4 was to allow int'l pax to deplane at T4, walk to TBIT, clear immigration and customs and security, then walk to T4 airside. No?
It is to allow easy connections between TBIT and T4. AA will be moving all international ops to TBIT, and T4 will be domestic. With the new configuration, connections on AA between domestic and international will not require leaving the secure area.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rjlon
This just gets worse. Why spend all that money on 777-300's and upgrade cabins, catering , turn down service and then screw up the hung you did really well. Somebody at AA should get fired for agreeing with this.
The 77W is not exclusive to LAX. So they should have said "let's forget about the 77W until LAX improvements are completed"?
There's more to AA's world than the pit that is LA.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SFO777
The 77W is not exclusive to LAX. So they should have said "let's forget about the 77W until LAX improvements are completed"?
There's more to AA's world than the pit that is LA.
Absolutely right. In fact they should have just written of LAX to BA. However LA was prioritized although some flights London to Dfw and JFK get 77w and some Sao Paulo's do too. ORD immigration is pretty poor as is DFW. Both airports where CBP is shared so when all the international flights are timed to arrive together you get screwed. Wonder what plans they have to wreck JFK? In the old days this was awful But has improved over recent years though international baggage at JFK must be slowest on network. I shall use SNA via DFW or ORD for So Cal from now on. Hawaii connections through ORD when running and DFW when not. The new American certainly is arriving. Wish it wasn't. "The only US carrier to offer Turn Down service and bussing in First Class..."

Last edited by flyertalker54234; Nov 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
It is to allow easy connections between TBIT and T4. AA will be moving all international ops to TBIT, and T4 will be domestic. With the new configuration, connections on AA between domestic and international will not require leaving the secure area.
Originally Posted by anabolism
As MAH4546 posted, this connector will provide bi-directional, airside, secure connections behind security between T-4 and TBIT, making D-->I connections a snap (no more second security screening).

With four gates at the new TBIT, AA will no longer need to park international arrivals at 41 or 43 and send passengers to TBIT FIS area.

Although the T-4 FIS area was a nice setup, the problem is that AA might never have enough international arrivals at LAX to justify keeping the T-4 FIS area open all the time. Arriving at TBIT means consistency.

A former DL management employee constantly posts elsewhere (but not at airliners.net, which banned him) about AA's very low TPAC yields and he frequently says that AA should just give up on Asian flights from LAX. While AA's TPAC yields are very low (compared to UA and DL), I don't believe that AA will give up on LAX. AA's gigantic profits in Latin America can underwrite losses on the TPAC operations.

What new international flights are possible? SAL might return. PEK and ICN are obvious choices. Maybe the return of the second LHR flight if the AA/BA joint venture decide to do so. With the future 787s, perhaps TPE, SYD, EZE or CDG?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
As MAH4546 posted, this connector will provide bi-directional, airside, secure connections behind security between T-4 and TBIT, making D-->I connections a snap (no more second security screening).

With four gates at the new TBIT, AA will no longer need to park international arrivals at 41 or 43 and send passengers to TBIT FIS area.

Although the T-4 FIS area was a nice setup, the problem is that AA might never have enough international arrivals at LAX to justify keeping the T-4 FIS area open all the time. Arriving at TBIT means consistency.

A former DL management employee constantly posts elsewhere (but not at airliners.net, which banned him) about AA's very low TPAC yields and he frequently says that AA should just give up on Asian flights from LAX. While AA's TPAC yields are very low (compared to UA and DL), I don't believe that AA will give up on LAX. AA's gigantic profits in Latin America can underwrite losses on the TPAC operations.

What new international flights are possible? SAL might return. PEK and ICN are obvious choices. Maybe the return of the second LHR flight if the AA/BA joint venture decide to do so. With the future 787s, perhaps TPE, SYD, EZE or CDG?
I think a 777 from GRU/GIG is more likely.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a 777 from GRU/GIG is more likely.
As LAX-GRU on a 772 is already scheduled to begin later this month, I left it off the list of "potential new routes from LAX."

LAX-GRU isn't "more likely," it's a certainty.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Presumably if all international flights will leave from TBIT, Flagship check in and Flagship Lounge will close (or will it just become the New York lounge?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:21 pm
Suspended

FWAAA Thanks. Not been following AA announcements too closely, comment was based on feedback in Brazil. Will the GRU continue to GIG? I think one of the other flights does the connector already.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Presumably if all international flights will leave from TBIT, Flagship check in and Flagship Lounge will close (or will it just become the New York lounge?
With airside connections between the two terminals, passengers could enjoy the existing Flagship Lounge and then mosey on over to their TBIT gate.

LAX-JFK is currently showing 130 daily F seats in the spring schedule, so that's the majority of those entitled to access the FL anyway. As the 772s are reconfigured with J/Y (no more F), the transcons will comprise most of the 3-class F seats from LAX.

FWAAA Thanks. Not been following AA announcements too closely, comment was based on feedback in Brazil. Will the GRU continue to GIG? I think one of the other flights does the connector already.
Nope, AA now has nonstops to GIG from JFK, MIA and DFW, so no need to fly any tags to GIG from GRU. From LAX, it will be nonstop to GRU with no flight to GIG.

Looks like it's scheduled to begin December 16 (later than earlier planned).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.