Search

Coach passengers in First Class Bathrooms

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Jim,
If the rule is in place to prevent people from congregating in the aisles, why wouldn't the rule be to "pax must make effort to use the lavoratory which has the shortest queue", wouldn't that reduce the loitering more.
It seems to be more about people congregating in front of the cockpit door.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
or are Americans somehow different to the rest of the world?
We are different. We get to turn on our cell phones before getting to the gate, I think BA just changed that recently to be more like in the US. They also trust us with scissors, where my 1/4 in blade was confiscated in Thailand.

Originally Posted by Flying Gator
Once a non-FC passenger was in the lav, the FA saw all her seats full and pulled out the cart so the pilot could go to the john. He got out there and had to wait for the passenger. That is a major security breach.
I bet the FA got a nice talking to by the pilot. Every flight i've been on, the FA checks to make sure the lav is empty first.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by tommyleo
That's irrelevant.

Not every rule needs to be posted on US's website.
Not every rule is correct, but you said that exclusive use of the FC lav was a perk, not a rule. At least all bigger airlines have a pretty complete list of elite perks readily available and exclusive use of a lav is not among them.

It is awfully rare to have a line for the FC lav and there are exceptions for those who have some physical need to use the nearest lav. I'm just having trouble figuring out what all the fuss is about.

And for those that think Americans are all DYKWIA, it is a rule here that apparently doesn't exist elsewhere. Of course 3,000+ dead bodies from the collapse of skyscrapers plus more in the attack on the Pentagon on 911 didn't happen in too many places either.

Jim
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott
I've flown business class a few times, first class once. The first class lav should be ONLY for first class passengers unless it's an absolute emergency.

I don't even know why this is even a discussion. I fly coach the majority of the time and wouldn't think of using F bathrooms. This coming from a pretty big anti-social jerk is saying something....
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:39 am
GAC
Suspended

Which of course can not explain why the rule, perk, mild suggestion or whatever was around before 9-11-01. But agree I too don't get the fuss. If its a special situation use the one closest - nobody will get cuddies from the unwashed masses.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Your lecture is erroneous and unwarranted. I was not calling the poster a "kettle" (as is often used in FT): Ma and Pa Kettle. Rather, I was using the term as part of a much more commonly used idiom: "The pot calling the kettle black."
Whatever you say. I'm sure there was no inkling of a double entendre there.
Carry on.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Possibly because you didn't really read my post - your mind already made up possibly. In it I made NO mention of preventing people from congregating anywhere in the aisle but specifically congregating in the forward aisle adjacent to the cockpit door. Your reading comprehension seems off...

Jim
Alas, you are correct. I didn't fully read your post. Apologies, and no, my mind is not already made up.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
a few weeks ago, i was dismayed to be flying in first class, but the FC lav was broken.
Should the coach passengers have been pissed off (haha) that I walked to the back of the plane and used their bathroom???
FYI, when flying coach, I only use the FC bathroom if I have to go and the cart is blocking the aisle.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
^

Paid or UG, I don't get the debate either. I've been very fortunate to have flown many segments in J and F on international airlines (using US miles, ironically), and each cabin's lavs are likewise restricted to that cabin's pax only. Strictly enforced and respected.

One of the perks of flying in a premium cabin is the lower pax-to-lavs ratio.
As you and others have pointed out, it's definitely an 'American-thing' - the rest of the world doesn't seem as afflicted with the DYKWIA attitude so prevalent here.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by GaryZ
As you and others have pointed out, it's definitely an 'American-thing' - the rest of the world doesn't seem as afflicted with the DYKWIA attitude so prevalent here.
The "rest of the world" is not some mythical utopia. It varies from place to place.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The "rest of the world" is not some mythical utopia. It varies from place to place.
well... Japan, china, Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, India, all of Europe... no pax allowed forward through a curtain. I don't know about Africa and South America.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
First World Problems.......
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
well... Japan, china, Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, India, all of Europe... no pax allowed forward through a curtain. I don't know about Africa and South America.
That's another blanket statement. I definitely recall on my last European trip BOS-YYZ-FCO on AC that people came up from coach to use the business bathrooms for various reasons. I personally recall noticing but not really caring, and I was on a paid (out of my pocket, not company) J ticket.

For every "DYKWIA American" that is apparently the stereotype, there are probably more than one of us who just don't care either way.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Michael El
And so? I hate to break it to you but FT would be an empty place without first world problems.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
And so? I hate to break it to you but FT would be an empty place without first world problems.
..........and DYKWIAs.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:20 pm
GAC
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael El
This term is tossed about like it was a bad thing. Actually it means that we no longer have to worry about carrying water from a river and have free time for other things. In other words, its a GOOD thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.