Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Other Potential US Merger Partners?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Other Potential US Merger Partners?

If the US DOJ gets its way and the US-AA merger falls apart, where does that leave US?

As the smallest of five network domestic airline, what merger partners could US merge with to grow and fill out their network to stay competitive.

AS is an easy pick with its financials, but would it still be profitable with US's overhead? HA would give US some Asian exposure, but not really add much. B6 would add to NY and rebuild Boston, but again no inclination to merge--would a hostile takeover work? Frontier? Nah. Virgin. Nah.

Is the DOJ decision a prelude to a slow final US death by 1000's cuts? The beginning of the end?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by abeflyer
If the US DOJ gets its way and the US-AA merger falls apart, where does that leave US?

As the smallest of five network domestic airline, what merger partners could US merge with to grow and fill out their network to stay competitive.

AS is an easy pick with its financials, but would it still be profitable with US's overhead? HA would give US some Asian exposure, but not really add much. B6 would add to NY and rebuild Boston, but again no inclination to merge--would a hostile takeover work? Frontier? Nah. Virgin. Nah.

Is the DOJ decision a prelude to a slow final US death by 1000's cuts? The beginning of the end?
AS would laugh, stop for a minute, laugh some more, and then say "kthxno". A merger that would mean losing AA and DL feed isn't going to fly. And ALK's shareholders have a dividend and a consistently profitable airline, unlike LCC's, so why should they give that up?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US could grow the old fashion way and add aircraft, crews, and cities.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by HNL
^^

And the best businesses in the world are the ones that grew organically...not the ones that go through huge mergers. Granted, for US Airways, today's airline is the result of multiple mergers already, but still, I'm glad the DOJ did this.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by HNL
No one, except maybe F9, would merge with US. I don't think AS would even take their call. US tried this with UA twice -- remember they were the uglier dance partner compared with CO-- and once with DL. This was their last hope. And there is no way US can grow organically in any significant manner. In fact, they'll probably end up shedding some routes and retire aircraft sooner than expected.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:36 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Is US losing money? If not, why can't it survive & possibly grow on its own?

LAX
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
US doesn't need a merger. They have lucrative hubs in key business markets.
The *A gives them access to & revenue from every other market.
There is nothing wrong with being the 5th largest domestic carrier.
They aren't missing anything. It's a place to stay profitable.
An airline can't be all things to all people, and they need to stop trying.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
There are none. Its prom night, and the limos have already begun to show up.

US should consider growing for a change via internal growth rather than via M&A.

There are lots of places to grow and to fill holes: Asia for one.

They have opportunities on the left coast - just gotta look at a map to find one. I personally think you could easily set up a DCA style hub at SJC if you can get the SJC airport people to build the terminal extension. There is a potential for 16 to 20 gates there (gate consolidation and new build out).

Would be a nice alternative to SFO and could give you a jump point for Asia fights (NRT, ICN, PVG).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: Free Agent
Start by filling the gaps in the existing network. PHL-TUS? CLT-ABQ? City pairs that require 2 stops for many travelers if they want to stay on US. Probably not huge money makers, but currently they're not competitive on these routes at all. I'm reluctant to fly PBI-CLT-PHX-ABQ when I can fly on UA with only one stop.

Personally I'd like to see a small northwest hub, so US could poach from AS and their DL and AA relationships. Where that would be, I have no idea
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
I would agree - US in the east coast if solid. Once I get West of the Mississippi it gets a little dicey.

A solid NW hub would be nice -
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
^^

US wouldn't be in the position it is in ("need" to grow) if it hadn't cut its network in half over the last 10 (or even 20) years.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
... a slow final US death by 1000's cuts? The beginning of the end?
"They" have been saying this since the late '80s.

Yet US is still here and (today) making money. Has the road been without pain?

No.

Still.... the Flag still flies! ^
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
US wouldn't be in the position it is in ("need" to grow) if it hadn't cut its network in half over the last 10 (or even 20) years.
I think if you look at today's US Airways route map and compare it to the 1993 and 2003 route maps you would be quite surprised. There have been some small markets and one hub that US has dropped for being unprofitable but the new destinations are bigger and better and today's network is far more comprehensive.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Silver 2014), AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
US can still be effective by moving to OneWorld and codesharing with AA (and BA, etc.), then make a strategic investment in AA as part of a consortium to take it out of bankruptcy.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by geo1005
I think if you look at today's US Airways route map and compare it to the 1993 and 2003 route maps you would be quite surprised. There have been some small markets and one hub that US has dropped for being unprofitable but the new destinations are bigger and better and today's network is far more comprehensive.
US has dropped more than one hub...More like 5 of them.

PIT (obviously)
BWI
DAY
LAS
LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.