Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade to Business class Italy Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-SLV-PRFD

I booked a trip recently with a buddy for to italy and then back through london to phx.
US Airways is 30,000 miles each to upgrade intl.
so 120,000 total. I have about 35k.
Any ideas on best ways to get miles?
I do know about the 50k 100% bonus but was looking around before getting those.
Trip isn't till end of Sept.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Find the US credit card offer for 35k miles, no first annual fee. Then gift the miles.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:04 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Its not just 120,000 miles...There's a $300 copay with each transatlantic segment, plus the luxury tax when departing the UK in business/first class.

The copay doesn't apply if you bought a fully unrestricted Y or B fare.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Find the US credit card offer for 35k miles, no first annual fee. Then gift the miles.
What if I have the US AW mastercard already?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
Its not just 120,000 miles...There's a $300 copay with each transatlantic segment, plus the luxury tax when departing the UK in business/first class.

The copay doesn't apply if you bought a fully unrestricted Y or B fare.
I thought I was getting good news
jk thanks for the info.
How would I know if I bought a fully unrestricted Y or B fare?
And is that fee per ticket or just per leg?
We are on the same reservation.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:01 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Your fare code would start with a Y or B, and you would have presumably paid quite a bit of money for it (since these are fully changeable for no fee, fully refundable for no fee).

But if not, then the co pay is per segment, per passenger. So for both you...60,000 points + $600 on the way over, and 60,000 points plus $600 on the way back, plus the UK luxury tax per ticket (not sure what that is these days, but IIRC it was around $100).

If you end up having to spend too much $$ to get those additional 85,000 points you need, you might wait until within 24 hours of the trip and see if the GoEnvoy upgrades are offered. They cost around $800 per person (sometimes more), each way, but that varies based on the route.

At the end of the day..you're paying 30,000 miles plus $300 which is probably worth less than an $800 cash upgrade. If you can scrounge up those other 85,000 points for relatively little spend, then this is still the best option.

None of this speaks to the actual availability, though. Did you check to even see if your flights have upgrade awards to Envoy available? You can check this by trying to do a test award booking and look for the "low" Envoy award availability on your dates. If it's there, then you can use miles. If not, then you have to keep checking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.