Wiki Posts
Search

Interline agreements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Interline agreements

Hi,

I am looking to book a PHL-SIN flight for my parents for May 2014, by which I presume US Airways might already have left *A

The flight is like this

PHL-SFO on US
SFO-TPE-SIN on BR

I do not want to put my parents through the hassle of having to recheck their bags, so does anyone know if the interline agreements will still be intact such that at PHL they will be able to check their bags straight through to SIN?

Separately, does US use the MSC rule for determining checked baggage allowance? I.e. would BR's baggage allowance apply for this whole itinerary?

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Interline agreements have nothing to do with alliances. Whether US interlines with BR won't be affected by whether it acquires AA or not. Simply confirm with US that they do interline. There is nothing you can do to affect what may happen in the future, so don't fret about it.

2. Under US law (DOT rule), the baggage allowance for the operating carrier of the first segment will be the allowance for the entire itinerary. Here, the baggage allowance on US PHL-SFO will apply.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply

The baggage allowance would be a bit puzzling, no? Since after all, they are flying a transpac route...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
In my case it was overwater segment that determined the baggage allowance.

MSO-SEA-YVR-NRT//HND-SHA was the route I took, and it didn't matter that AS doesn't offer any free bags on MSO-SEA-YVR, the fact that I was flying JL YVR-NRT and was entitled to 2 bags on that segment got me the same 2 bags free all the way from MSO to SHA.

And if baggage allowance on interline is determined by US law, then that should apply to your trip too.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
A warning, especially since the US Airways & EVA Air websites don't seem to want to show me the itinerary you're looking at (EVA doesn't show PHL as an option, US wants to use Singapore Airlines): US will no longer interline bags that aren't on the same reservation/itinerary. You'll need to book it as a single trip (probably by calling in) vs booking it as a PHL-SFO leg and then a separate SFO-TPE-SIN reservation.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Often1
1. Interline agreements have nothing to do with alliances. Whether US interlines with BR won't be affected by whether it acquires AA or not. Simply confirm with US that they do interline. There is nothing you can do to affect what may happen in the future, so don't fret about it.
Whether US interlines with BR won't change, but whether that PHL-SFO flight is operated by US might. I suspect there will still be enough of a US Airways next May that it won't be a problem, but I would probably want to confirm that AA and BR have an interline agreement as well.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
The only warning I would give you is that USAirways seems to be having lots of schedule changes if you book more than a month or two out...

I planned a trip from Ft Lauderdale to Tokyo in March for November of this year. The original routing looked like:
United FLL-ORD
ANA ORD-NRT
United NRT-SEA
USAir SEA-PHX-FLL

US Airways had a schedule change on PHX-FLL that caused a misconnect, which caused the entire return leg to have to be rescheduled -- fortunately there was still routing available as:
ANA NRT-SEA
USAir SEA-CLT-FLL

And then again last week, another schedule change happened, and caused another misconnect, and I am now on hold trying to reschedule to:
ANA NRT-SEA
United SEA-IAH-FLL

If I hadn't been checking my itinerary every couple of weeks, I would have missed this, and might have had a problem.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:10 am
Original Poster

thanks for the heads up, i'll def keep an eye
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Also as far as interline fee policy goes, the first international leg will set the fee structure for the whole round trip:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/asi...ggage-policies

So with your example, BR would set the fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.