Wiki Posts
Search

Group Reservation (for 4) - Preferred Upgrade & Luggage Allowance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Plat; Marriott Plat
Group Reservation (for 4) - Preferred Upgrade & Luggage Allowance

I have a group of 4 that will be traveling on USAir. I am the only preferred member (Platinum). I would like to extend my preferred benefits to the entire group for checked luggage (Free luggage) but would like to still remain eligible for my first class upgrades. Any way to make the group reservation (for all 4) to keep the luggage privileges and then split my portion for the upgrade?

The only way I see is to make a reservation of 2 & 2 to allow for 6 pieces of luggage and keep my upgrade option available.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Agreed...but couldn't you keep everyone on the same reservation and get an exit row seat for everyone? Whenever I've upgraded and had other traveling companions in coach, the results have been negative.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Agreed...but couldn't you keep everyone on the same reservation and get an exit row seat for everyone? Whenever I've upgraded and had other traveling companions in coach, the results have been negative.
If you call the preferred desk you can have an agent seat all 4 people in preferred seating even if they are on 2 separate reservations. I've done it a few times.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Thanks for the feedback -

Since this is not family I don't mind being split up. Just a group of friends doing a camping trip out of town (Which is why have the luggage allowance is important).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do you still have a trial silver to gift? That could add to your baggage allowance, keep exit rows/bulkheads and allow everyone to have a shot at an upgrade. I'd still do it 2 on yours and 2 on the silver.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ericcheung
Do you still have a trial silver to gift? That could add to your baggage allowance, keep exit rows/bulkheads and allow everyone to have a shot at an upgrade. I'd still do it 2 on yours and 2 on the silver.
Yes, could do that too.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by skitch23
If you call the preferred desk you can have an agent seat all 4 people in preferred seating even if they are on 2 separate reservations. I've done it a few times.
I haven't had the same luck with this for more than 24 hours out so I wouldn't 100% rely on this if seating is important.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
I'm CP and wanted to do the same for a group of 3 (including me). The CSR separated my reservation into 1 and 2. Question - will the 1 (separated from me) still be able to use the preferred access lane while going through security?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by abracadaver
I'm CP and wanted to do the same for a group of 3 (including me). The CSR separated my reservation into 1 and 2. Question - will the 1 (separated from me) still be able to use the preferred access lane while going through security?
Yes you can bring people thru on separate itineraries.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
I (Chairman) was upgraded along with my wife and son on my itinerary PHX -> CLT last month. I was pleasantly surprised that all three of us were upgraded on the same itinerary.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Screamin03
I (Chairman) was upgraded along with my wife and son on my itinerary PHX -> CLT last month. I was pleasantly surprised that all three of us were upgraded on the same itinerary.

Interesting. Is this common?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by abracadaver
Interesting. Is this common?

Not sure if it is common but according to the upgrade rules I didn't think it would happen. Especially after I had been calling every day for 3 weeks straight trying to upgrade the three of us using miles and was told every time there were no seats available for upgrade. Next thing you know, 3 days before the flight we were all complimentary upgraded.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Screamin03
Not sure if it is common but according to the upgrade rules I didn't think it would happen. Especially after I had been calling every day for 3 weeks straight trying to upgrade the three of us using miles and was told every time there were no seats available for upgrade. Next thing you know, 3 days before the flight we were all complimentary upgraded.
Does your wife or son have status? In theory, all 3 should get upgraded only if there are 2 elites on the PNR. Otherwise, the only way you're supposed to get a comp upgrade is if you split the PNR.

It's great when you can clear 3 people at once. ^
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Platinum preferred on the US Airways website says:

Get your bags faster and take more with you.
You and everyone in your reservation are exempt from the first, second and third bag fees (group reservations not included).
Your bags will be loaded last which means they'll be among the first on the conveyer belt at your destination.
Allowances vary by airline, so please contact the airline you'll be traveling on for details.

Can't tell if that is per person or overall on the reservation. I booked a trip to Madrid with my family in August and US Airways advised me to check in all of my family's luggage under my name to save money. :-/
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by pdpgps
Can't tell if that is per person or overall on the reservation. I booked a trip to Madrid with my family in August and US Airways advised me to check in all of my family's luggage under my name to save money. :-/
Each person gets the baggage allowance provided you are all on the same reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.