Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Get a 100% bonus when you buy or gift miles (July 1-31, 2013 - May be targeted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: HHonors Gold; Accor Plat; SQ/TG
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Wait, so I can gift 100K to a non-target account, then buy 100K for myself and that's permissible?
Absolutely, as long as the account that you're buying / gifting from is targeted for the 100% promo. Just did exactly that yesterday and spent the miles from both accounts within an hour

The restriction is on amount of bonus miles received to an account, not on the amount of miles an account can buy/gift. So with that understanding a lot more is possible if you only have 1 target account. You should be able to gift 100k to non-target accounts that are brand new too, since the new account restrictions are on buying and not receiving (at least I have in the past).
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:06 pm

Thanks Biggie. I'm middle of the road. I derive my pleasure from upgrades on paid business travel and from leisure, personal travel via miles. I'm also now holding 2 chairmans certs and my strategy was to get enough miles to cover the 2 coach tix needed and then use certs for the upgrade. Right now I only have 140k miles in my account - my son has 35k and do does my daughter. For my "dream trip" in want to visit Morocco with my daughter. If I buy miles on this offer, can I fly into Morocco on Air Maroc (in coach, using miles) and then open jaw out of Barcelona back to PHL using miles and my certificate? I'm very early in planning. Need recommendations on putting this offer to use given my plans. Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Aeran
Absolutely, as long as the account that you're buying / gifting from is targeted for the 100% promo. Just did exactly that yesterday and spent the miles from both accounts within an hour

The restriction is on amount of bonus miles received to an account, not on the amount of miles an account can buy/gift. So with that understanding a lot more is possible if you only have 1 target account. You should be able to gift 100k to non-target accounts that are brand new too, since the new account restrictions are on buying and not receiving (at least I have in the past).
So is it possible to buy 100k miles for multiple non-target accounts?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: HHonors Gold; Accor Plat; SQ/TG
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
So is it possible to buy 100k miles for multiple non-target accounts?
Yup, just bought again from my same target account to another non-target account 5 minutes ago and had it go through fine. So far for this July 2013 promo I've done the following from a single target account:

Target_Acct: Buy 45k + 45k bonus miles to Target_Acct
Target_Acct: Gift 45k + 45k bonus miles to NonTarget_Acct_A
Target_Acct: Gift 20k + 20k bonus miles to NonTarget_Acct_B

All buy/gift purchases made from Target_Acct so that they get the 100% bonus. Total number of bonus miles received amongst the three accounts thus far is 110k; however since each account has received 50k or less in bonus miles it works fine.

Also, for those buying miles make sure to go through ExtraBux.com to get 2% cash back (was previously 3%).
Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:20 am

Thanks Aeran. Great explanation!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by bluwater
...I'm also now holding 2 chairmans certs and my strategy was to get enough miles to cover the 2 coach tix needed and then use certs for the upgrade. ...
Unfortunately, the Chairman's certs can only be used in conjunction with paid coach tix (i.e.. not with award tix) ...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Everyone!
$.019 per mile (if you were targeted at 100% bonus, after all taxes and fees) is only a great deal if you have something particular (biz/first international) to use it on right now in my opinion. Buying for use on Domestic Coach is a really poor return of value once you calculate still having to pay taxes on awards and the lost miles you would earn if you had just bought the ticket.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
When will the switch from *A to OW happen?
I'd like to buy for my Christmas holiday plans, but may not be able to book my tickets till late August for a trip to Koh Samui (on Thai Airways.)

Do you think we will have a notice period mentioning when US moves over to the dark side? Or will it be sudden?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Nobody in my house was targeted (3 ppl). I was hoping to buy some US miles
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Great Value if

Flying on Lufthansa from Boston - Venice IT in Business and return in Envoy on US Air for 100,000 miles next month for 100K miles. The cost buying miles is 1888.00 as others have said. To buy that ticket in Europe High Season would run about 3500 in Lufthansa Business and even more if US Envoy is built in. Great deal for that. Not for domestic first as mentioned by others.

Originally Posted by PGHflyer
$.019 per mile (if you were targeted at 100% bonus, after all taxes and fees) is only a great deal if you have something particular (biz/first international) to use it on right now in my opinion. Buying for use on Domestic Coach is a really poor return of value once you calculate still having to pay taxes on awards and the lost miles you would earn if you had just bought the ticket.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Do you think we will have a notice period mentioning when US moves over to the dark side? Or will it be sudden?
I'd think that US will send an email to both of FFs (US & AA) the timeline when both of the accounts can be merged and when US will be departed *A and will be joined OW.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: US Gold
It looks like they.ve pushed up the mileages. I usually buy miles to travel Envoy RDU-PHL-MAN for 30K in Feb. Cheapest award travel for next Feb is 50K....
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
How long should mile purchases take to go through? I have some flights on hold and bought the miles around 12 hours ago and they don't show yet...
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Should be straight away.

Go here

http://questions.points.com/home

And click live chat. They will resolve the issue.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by dewby
Should be straight away.

Go here

http://questions.points.com/home

And click live chat. They will resolve the issue.
Thanks for info but that it is only available Mon-Fri. Any advice over weekend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.