Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Failing to rebook PHX stranded PAX on other carriers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Failing to rebook PHX stranded PAX on other carriers

Have a cousin stranded in PHX trying to get from SAN to PVR.

Their RJ was weight restricted and US is REFUSING to do anything except put them on a non RJ flight (next not for 2 more days)

US is showing availability to IAH tonight on a NON RJ and tomorrow UA shows availability IAH-PVR tomorrow. The pax's are fine paying for their own hotel iN IAH

US refuses to do a anything. Speaking to a supervisor resulted in her hanging up on me and saying "Corporate told us no rebooks"...

Is this normal, considering the out of norm conditions in PHX today?

Shouldn't DOT be aware of this?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
keep calling
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Yeah I did ; there is a blanket statement right now that corporate has said "no other carrier rebooks" allowed for next few days

Never in my years of flying US or America West have I seen them systematically refusing to do anything.

These guys want to merge in AA.... If it is Parker and his team this is enough for me to stay clear of AA RIGHT NOW.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Have a cousin stranded in PHX trying to get from SAN to PVR.
Have your cousin call.

I'm shocked a US Airways representative would even talk to you about anything another passenger (who in their minds, may or may not be related to you) has booked.

That IAH to PVR flight tomorrow morning is ONLY showing availability of (2) in Y. They may not actually be available for other carriers to use for rebooks. Your point may be moot. The flight may be sold out. Those (2) Y seats are probably overbooks.

US is correct, there are no direct flights from PHX to PVR until Tuesday 7/2. Everything on 6/30 and 7/1 are completely sold out.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by bkafrick
US is correct, there are no direct flights from PHX to PVR until Tuesday 7/2. Everything on 6/30 and 7/1 are completely sold out.
Carriers will often refuse to oversell for interline pax, even if they're selling revenue tickets.

Flying through DFW might be a better option; AA seems to have a lot better availability on their 11:45am DFW-PVR tomorrow.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Sorry - bit of misinformation I gave you above.

All 6/30 flights are sold out. There is plenty of availability on #362 on 7/1 from PHX to PVR.

(Edited To Add)
By the way, this is a classic IDB scenario, and just because its a Regional Jet, its not exempt. The customer service plan specifically calls out exemption for "A flight operating with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats has safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload." The RJ she was booked on was a CRJ900 which has seating for 79. So the following IDB should be offered:
  • If the passenger's arrival at his or her final destination is greater than one hour but less than two hours past their original scheduled arrival, involuntary compensation is 200 percent of the sum of the values of the remaining flight coupons of the ticket to the next stopover, but not to exceed $650.
  • If the passenger's arrival at their final destination is two hours or more past their original scheduled arrival, involuntary compensation is 400 percent of the sum of the values of the remaining flight coupons of the ticket to the next stopover, but not to exceed $1,300.

Last edited by bkafrick; Jun 29, 2013 at 10:32 pm Reason: added info on IDB
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

He got nowhere. 3 visits to PHX rebooking staff and 2 calls.

I called UA (where I'm a 1K) who stated the second UA IAH-PVR flight had better availability and they said no reason US cannot accomodate on it it they are doing rebooks

I'm keeping US off the flight list with our TA - I will be doing the same with AA if the merger completes. Having elite status on America West YEARS ago - I've never seen such unhelpful agents as I have today. Never even seen United this inept in my entire time I've flown them.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:35 pm

I called UA (where I'm a 1K) who stated the second UA IAH-PVR flight had better availability
Yeah...
[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.0/Diamond - Availability/FS/US]
Code:
IAH  Houston George Bush Intercnt'l TX US [KIAH]
PVR  Puerto Vallarta Ordaz MX [MMPR]
SUN  30 Jun 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------
UA/##      4658    IAH   08:45     PVR   11:21     ERJ      Y2 B2 M2 E2 U2 H2 Q2 V2 W2 S2 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0
UA         1491    IAH   11:38     PVR   14:06     73G      C0 D0 Z0 P0 Y4 B4 M4 E4 U4 H4 Q3 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0
Also see above for IDB info I added.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

They didn't honor the IDB ; just the rebook. Pathetic response from US.

I get they are not elites, just goes to show how regular pax get treated.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:47 pm

Doing a little more legwork here. There are no direct flights from PHX to IAD tonight or ever on US... You said there were.

US doesnt fly PHX/IAD direct, and the last connection flight is through CLT departing PHX at 1:15am which puts you in IAD at 12:57pm tomorrow, which is too late to take either of those IAD to PVR flights on UA.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Doing a little more legwork here. There are no direct flights from PHX to IAD tonight or ever on US... You said there were.

US doesnt fly PHX/IAD direct, and the last connection flight is through CLT departing PHX at 1:15am which puts you in IAD at 12:57pm tomorrow, which is too late to take either of those IAD to PVR flights on UA.
Never said IAD (Dulles). I said IAH (Houston). Too late now I'm US doing nothing the last available US flight to IAH is gone. Pathetic
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:53 pm

Never said IAD (Dulles). I said IAH (Houston). Too late now I'm US doing nothing the last available US flight to IAH is gone. Pathetic
Ah sorry. My bad. I read that wrong. 1am on the east coast and my eyes are tired.

Could try for UA 1237 tomorrow at 5am out of PHX connecting to IAH to 1491 to PVR. Both show decent availability.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
option

Maybe they could fly you to MEX or GDL and you could buy a ticket to PVR on Volaris, AeroMexico, Interjet, or Viva Aerobus.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Maybe they should contact Todd Lehmacher. From http://www.azcentral.com here's part of the story about today's flight disruptions.

US Airways canceled 18 inbound and outbound flights of its smaller regional aircraft earlier in the day when temperatures hit 118 degrees, spokesman Todd Lehmacher said.

“We’re back to 117 so flights are reassuming,” he said.

Higher temperatures affects an aircraft’s takeoff and landing performance.

Lechmacher said the smaller US Airways Express aircraft were the only ones affected. The larger aircraft such as its Airbus, which can withstand temperatures up to 126 degrees, were not affected, he said.

“We are accommodating customers so there won’t be an impact to anyone,” he said. “No one will be stuck overnight.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:41 pm

Is this normal, considering the out of norm conditions in PHX today?
No, it's not normal that US refuses to rebook on other carriers.

(Edited To Add)
By the way, this is a classic IDB scenario, and just because its a Regional Jet, its not exempt. The customer service plan specifically calls out exemption for "A flight operating with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats has safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload." The RJ she was booked on was a CRJ900 which has seating for 79. So the following IDB should be offered:
  • If the passenger's arrival at his or her final destination is greater than one hour but less than two hours past their original scheduled arrival, involuntary compensation is 200 percent of the sum of the values of the remaining flight coupons of the ticket to the next stopover, but not to exceed $650.
  • If the passenger's arrival at their final destination is two hours or more past their original scheduled arrival, involuntary compensation is 400 percent of the sum of the values of the remaining flight coupons of the ticket to the next stopover, but not to exceed $1,300.
You are posting the IDB amounts for denied boardings due to an oversell. Weight restrictions are specifically exempt from those amounts.

Denied boarding compensation payment may not be made if...

....whenever such action is necessary or advisable by reason of weather or other conditions beyond US Airways’ control

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.