Wiki Posts
Search

US Star Alliance Club at DCA not honoring United Club Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental
US Star Alliance Club at DCA not honoring United Club Card

I booked my ticket on US Air from DCA as I had used their club lounge before and went to check in. I was denied access to the US Air club lounge when I showed my lifetime gold membership club card from United. A not so nice agent at the club said either pay $50 or leave. She said this was a local decision and if I had known it, would have booked on another carrier. Any other flyer’s had this problem at US Air? I guess they forgot I was a customer as well...
Old Jun 26, 2013, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Inspec
... She said this was a local decision ...
local decision to start their exit from *A earlier???
Old Jun 26, 2013, 3:38 pm

I'm confused....the OP stated that he showed her his Lifetime UA Gold card. Unless he/she was traveling onto an international flight a UA Gold Card does not get you into a US Club.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
"lifetime gold membership club card from United"

Is it lifetime Gold status? I dont believe there's such thing as a lifetime club membership with UA.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I dont believe there's such thing as a lifetime club membership with UA.
There are indeed lifetime Club members. People could purchase RCC/PC/UC memberships until UA (late 90s?) and CO (2008?) discontinued them. Also, people who flew 2MM BIS before account consolidation got lifetime memberships. I believe the term used was "complimentary lifetime annual UC membership" or something, implying that they would be issued new cards each year.

AFAIK, since UA issues separate cards for elite status and club membership, perhaps the OP tried to gain access with the former. OP - if your card had the *A logo with LOUNGE on it, you should've been able to enter. If it didn't, you weren't eligible as a UA *G unless you were traveling internationally.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
But OP didn't say anything about having a lifetime club card.
They mentioned lifetime gold card. Gold (lifetime or not) doesn't get you into the club.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by steve64
But OP didn't say anything about having a lifetime club card.
They mentioned lifetime gold card. Gold (lifetime or not) doesn't get you into the club.
OP said they tried to use their "lifetime gold membership club card".

I guess my question is why didn't OP just go over and use the United Club at DCA?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:21 pm

I booked my ticket on US Air from DCA as I had used their club lounge before and went to check in. I was denied access to the US Air club lounge when I showed my lifetime gold membership club card from United. A not so nice agent at the club said either pay $50 or leave. She said this was a local decision and if I had known it, would have booked on another carrier. Any other flyer’s had this problem at US Air? I guess they forgot I was a customer as well...
I've never had any problems gaining access to the DCA US Airways lounge with my United Club card -- including as recently as Monday. OP, were you showing them a Premier Gold card or a United Club membership card? If it's the former, one doesn't get access unless one is on an international itinerary.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva
OP said they tried to use their "lifetime gold membership club card".

I guess my question is why didn't OP just go over and use the United Club at DCA?
IMO the DCA United Club is indeed a much better facility -- the problem for me when flying US is that it's in another concourse and there's no post security shuttle.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Tennen
There are indeed lifetime Club members. People could purchase RCC/PC/UC memberships until UA (late 90s?) and CO (2008?) discontinued them.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental
Both Lifetime Club Car and Gold Premier Mileage Plus Card

Originally Posted by nova08
I'm confused....the OP stated that he showed her his Lifetime UA Gold card. Unless he/she was traveling onto an international flight a UA Gold Card does not get you into a US Club.

I had both the Lifetime Club Card and the Premier Gold Mileage plus card.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As indicated already, your Premier Gold Mileage plus card won't get you access to a club.

What response did US give to your online complaint? I'm assuming you completed the form on the website.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:40 am

Ok, so if you handed them your Lifetime UA Club Card you should have gained access.

If you handed them both cards the agent may have been confused and thought you were a *G traveler (w/o club membership) just trying to gain access while on a domestic trip. They see this quite often and likely quickly dismiss these travlers.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by nova08
There is. I have a lifetime membership, but it is from my Continental days.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by jeffhacker
There is. I have a lifetime membership, but it is from my Continental days.
I would assume they've provided you with an updated United-branded card -- right? If so -- does the card have an expiration date despite being a lifetime card?

UA and US don't have any way of checking membership status beyond the cards, so I can imagine if OP presented a CO-branded card it might cause confusion. Ditto for a card that's "expired" even though the membership isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.