Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Right???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Question Who's Right???

Here's what happened:
I got on a flight stand-by due to my original flight being severely delayed. I got seat 11B, exit row middle. My 20" carry-on had to be stowed in the overhead bin 3-4 rows behind me. In addition, I had a laptop bag under the seat in front of me.
When we were on our descent, I politely asked the pax in the aisle seat next to me, if it'd be okay if when we heard the "ding" and could stand up, if I could hop out quickly and try and grab my carry-on. He was fine with it. Exit row, so no problem at all.
My incident took place when I got to my bag and retrieved it, others were obviously in the aisles, making it impossible to get back to my seat. My intent was to get back and let my row deplane, with me being lastin the row. Anyway, one pax, whom I politely asked if I could pass by, said no, muttered a few curse words and turned back around. I'm not sure if he realized I had been a few rows ahead or if it would even matter to him. (Or should matter)
I didn't escalate, just waited where I was in line, then retrieved my laptop bag and left. (Side tangent, the attractive blonde I met in the window seat, attempted to pass me my laptop bag while I was inline 3 rows back, but she couldn't lift the 2 laptop heavy bag).
My question is, Was I wrong to try and get back to my original spot? (And maybe get a phone number). Or should I have just waited back where retrieving my bag took me? Or should I have just waited for the entire plane to deplane and grab my bag?

I see it both ways. After pax said no, I considered, maybe he was right, and I shouldn't have tried to get to my original spot.
Thought?? Thanks in advance,
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I don't think there is necessarily a hard right and wrong here - but, if it was me, I would have waited in my row and then retrieved my bag when the people in the rows between me and my bag had deplaned.

If I had done what you did, I never would assume I can make it back to my row, and would have just waited until people in front of me deplaned and made my way back to row 11. (Which is why I just would have waited in the first place).

My two cents is... Wait. And, if you just have to get up to get a bag behind you without waiting, you wait there until everyone in front of you has deplaned.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I think if your passage through the aisle is already blocked with other passengers, you kinda gotta suck it up and wait. Everyone's trying to go to the same place at the same time, and until people actually start moving, it's futile (and a bit pushy) to try to climb over them.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I think if your passage through the aisle is already blocked with other passengers, you kinda gotta suck it up and wait. Everyone's trying to go to the same place at the same time, and until people actually start moving, it's futile (and a bit pushy) to try to climb over them.
Thanks Patti. Not sure where you got "climbing all over them" from. I believe I stated I asked the pax if it would be alright to pass by. Pushy would be barreling over them w/out asking.
You may be right that i should have just waited, but I take umbrage with your assertion that asking is "pushy".
Have a great weekend!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Ask your Mom, she knows you a lot better than we do!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Your practical problem was when/how to retrieve your overhead bag a few rows behind you. A few options exist and you chose your solution.
The rest of what happens is superfluous and other pax reactions are largely irrelevant. Life always moves on.

Barry
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Thanks Patti. Not sure where you got "climbing all over them" from. I believe I stated I asked the pax if it would be alright to pass by. Pushy would be barreling over them w/out asking.
You may be right that i should have just waited, but I take umbrage with your assertion that asking is "pushy".
Have a great weekend!
The aisles are narrow. When people are already standing there with baggage, it's quite difficult to pass without pushing or climbing or squishing. So even if you ask, it's going to be less than awesome. Asking doesn't make the people and bags go away.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
omg, wait 30 seconds... was it that important to row upstream like that?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Why didn't you take your laptop bag with you when you originally left your row?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you really must swim upstream before the pax behind you deplane, the least you can do is wait back 3-4 rows. Can't take more than an extra 30-45 secs.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Anyway, one pax, whom I politely asked if I could pass by, said no, muttered a few curse words and turned back around. ...
My question is, Was I wrong to try and get back to my original spot? (And maybe get a phone number).
The pax who cursed at you had no reason to curse, even if he didn't want to let you by. But the big question is this: if instead you had already gotten the phone number of the attractive blonde who was sitting in your row, would you have had the same urgency to return to your original row?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The other passenger was right.

Trying to get past passengers in the same direction everyone is trying to go is generally frowned upon, regardless of where you "started". In this scenario, I generally don't try to go backwards until my row and a few behind have cleared. I gradually work my way back during gaps in the flow. When I get to my bag, I grab it and go forward with everyone else. Even pushing past other passengers in the wrong direction is rude, IMHO.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by hginPHL
but, if it was me, I would have waited in my row and then retrieved my bag when the people in the rows between me and my bag had deplaned.
Originally Posted by CPRich
In this scenario, I generally don't try to go backwards until my row and a few behind have cleared. I gradually work my way back during gaps in the flow. When I get to my bag, I grab it and go forward with everyone else.
This is the method I've always used in this circumstance.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
In this scenario, I generally don't try to go backwards until my row and a few behind have cleared. I gradually work my way back during gaps in the flow. When I get to my bag, I grab it and go forward with everyone else.
+1

However, given the choice you made, if you politely asked someone if you could try to squeeze past them, they shouldn't have been rude and cursed you out. A polite "sorry I can't" would have worked. For all they know you could have been trying to make a tight connection.

Why doesn't anybody realize the earth doesn't revolve around them?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
If I'm on an aisle and my bag is a few rows back I can usually get to it without inconveniencing anyone. By the time I grab it though everyone is up and in the aisles and unless someone lets me through I just wait as its only an extra couple of seconds.

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking. Most people would let you through if there was some room. But the aisles can get cramped and normally at the end of the flight most people aren't in the best of moods (unless you're landing in LAS!). Regardless, it doesn't mean you should be cursed at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.