Search

Same Orig / Dest in Same Day - No Posting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Choice Plat; US Airways CP
Same Orig / Dest in Same Day - No Posting

As a preface, this has happened to me multiple times in the past

I had found some good fares a couple months ago (I fly segments as I fly mostly short flights in the Southwest) so I purchsed these on two seperate bookings... All to keep my Chairman status... Just trying to maintain my 10 segments a month that work does not keep me in the air.

1st - PHX-TUS-PHX
2nd - TUS-PHX-LAS-PHX-TUS
Combined - PHX-TUS-(PHX-LAS-PHX-TUS)-PHX

However to make more sense of this, I had flown the first segment (PHX-TUS on 1/1) on the 1st Itin... The second was on the 2nd Itin (PHX-TUS on 1/1). The other double flight (TUS-PHX) didnt have a problem posting as they were on 1/1 and 1/2

To make a long story short, I just got off the Chairmans line after 40 min... and they didnt get it even though I explained it to five different people. I used to talk to Kinser or Jeff (Supervisors) and they would have it done in a few short minutes manually.

It is a known fact that US Airways (computer system) does not acknowledge flying to and from the same city twice in the same day... The issues is this has happened to me multiple times in the last seven years. Does anyone know anyone to help make this fix happen easier? It doesnt seem like my old contacts exist anymore or are never available.

Any help would be appreciated to help expedite these issues
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I may not be reading this correctly, but isn't this a nested ticket? Doesn't the system disallow nested ticketing?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
+1 I agree that this sure looks like a nested ticket, and I'm unpleasantly surprised to learn that the US system may have actually been able to recognize it as such. And, OP, you seem to be saying that in your experience this is something that happens -- i.e., their "catching" it -- because it is on the same day ... ?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Glad I'm the only one that was confused on what the OP is trying to accomplish. It does sound like a nesting tickets. From the way I read the post: 2 round trip tickets were purchased.

First round trip leaves day 1 from PHX-TUS. Then second round trip goes from TUS-PHX-LAS also on day 1.

On day 2 LAS-PHX-TUS to completes the second round trip, then TUS-PHX to completes the first round trip.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: US lowlife
So where is the illegal piece in all of this? Nesting to bypass fare rules is "illegal" but this may not be the case here at all.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:36 am
Original Poster

How is this illegal?

My first original plan was to drive to Tucson and complete my RT... TUC-PHX-LAS-PHX-TUS. Then at the last minute, I purchased a ticket to TUS RT from PHX departing the same day with my original 4 segments and then stayed over night and then flew home to PHX the next day.

There is nothing illegal in purchasing two RT tickets even though you may fly to the same city twice in the same day. It could have all been booked on the same Itin, but at the time the cost was too expensive... So this proves there is nothing wrong with the way I booked these...

PS: Again, because of the day (date difference 6/1 vs. 6/2), the duplicate flight TUS to PHX posted without an issue...

I have always been able to talk to or get to the right individual in the past who stated that their computer system is "flawed" and they were always able to post it manually.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Um, maybe I am reading through it upstream, but who said that any of this was illegal? And, jcooke, you are right -- there is this weird "intent" piece to the whole thing that has always seemed to me to be quite a burden on the airline to prove.

This said, it would be a royal PitA to get sanctioned by US for a nested trip, real or imagined. In the past, I had always wondered whether they had the wherewithal to catch these (and would be stupid enough to want to, given that one antidote in most cases is to nest the interior trip on another carrier!)

All I was doing above (and I suspect the other posters, too) was pointing out an aspect of the flying pattern that could trip something in the US system that would cause them to hold back on issuing miles. Just speculating ....
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Um, maybe I am reading through it upstream, but who said that any of this was illegal? And, jcooke, you are right -- there is this weird "intent" piece to the whole thing that has always seemed to me to be quite a burden on the airline to prove.

This said, it would be a royal PitA to get sanctioned by US for a nested trip, real or imagined. In the past, I had always wondered whether they had the wherewithal to catch these (and would be stupid enough to want to, given that one antidote in most cases is to nest the interior trip on another carrier!)

All I was doing above (and I suspect the other posters, too) was pointing out an aspect of the flying pattern that could trip something in the US system that would cause them to hold back on issuing miles. Just speculating ....
I think illegal in this sense is more along the lines of what my old Windows 95 computer meant when it returned "illegal" operations--that something happened that did not meet the expectations of the system. You're not breaking the law, but US IT does not like something about your reservations and therefore isn't giving you the miles you expect.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
When I first read the OP I too thought nested tickets. However after re-reading it wouldn't it have to be Ticket 1: PHX-TUS-PHX and Ticket 2: TUS-PHX-TUS for it to be considered a nested ticket?

As Ticket 2 was TUS-LAS via PHX and OP flew all segments, I don't think there is any way that this could be considered a nested (or even a hidden city) ticket. Not that this helps the OP.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Miles posted!

Just got off a 5 minute conversation with the Chairmans desk and my miles / segments are posted. ^

I too asked if she thought this was an illegal booking / nested ticket and she said no. She said it is their system that is messed up and that I did nothing wrong.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:45 am

Glad to hear it worked out.

This isn't really a nested ticket; it's a round trip to PHX-TUS-PHX, with a side trip TUS-LAS-TUS. (As long as you flew all the segments, it doesn't matter that you connected in PHX.)

The classic nested ticket has a "side trip" back to the origin city, and is done to avoid fare rules like a Saturday night stay requirement.

For example, you want to fly A-B on Monday and return on Friday, then do the same thing next week. The straightforward way is to book A-B-A for each week. But if a Saturday night stay lowers the fare, you could instead book A-B-A for the entire two weeks, and then B-A-B for the weekend in the middle. That's a nested ticket.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alanh
For example, you want to fly A-B on Monday and return on Friday, then do the same thing next week. The straightforward way is to book A-B-A for each week. But if a Saturday night stay lowers the fare, you could instead book A-B-A for the entire two weeks, and then B-A-B for the weekend in the middle. That's a nested ticket.
What happens if you really did need to say at B for two weeks, then something came up and you decided to go home for the weekend. Do they expect you to pay change fees to move the return up a week, and then buy a new ticket for the following week?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Warp
What happens if you really did need to say at B for two weeks, then something came up and you decided to go home for the weekend. Do they expect you to pay change fees to move the return up a week, and then buy a new ticket for the following week?
Yes they do.

Or you could book it on another airline, where they wouldn't know about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.