Wiki Posts
Search

"Gitcha to the right place"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
"Gitcha to the right place"

I know I'm being petty, but am I the only one bothered by the automated telephone attendant explaining they want my DM number to "gitcha to the right place"?

I'm not usually a sticker and tend to roll eyes whenever over the top grammar police go into action, but US is an international/national airline, not some small regional operation.

I'm not objecting to supplying my DM number; it's the down home pronunciation that rubs the wrong way.

Anyone else?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:54 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Where do you hear this (what phone number and at which point in the call)? I guess since I call US from my mobile phone that's registered to my account, I never even hear the request for my DM number.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Sally4th
Anyone else?
Not until now!!!!

Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I'm not objecting to supplying my DM number; it's the down home pronunciation that rubs the wrong way.

Anyone else?
The down home pronunciation is one of the reasons I love US Airways! The Winston-Salem call center is basically actual down home for me, so I love calling and hearing those accents.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Would much rather hear the kitschy overdone down-home routine than the kitschy overdone Boston accents on that stupid commercial for Dish Network DVR's.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dcpatti
the kitschy overdone Boston accents
Ha! You must not travel to Boston very often. These accents are pretty spot on.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
it's the down home pronunciation that rubs the wrong way.
Why? Is your pronunciation superior in some way?

It's an American regional dialect and nothing more.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:02 am
GAC
Suspended

Well, lets look on the bright side: we have officially run out of important things to complain about. Life is good ^
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:42 am

I'm with PHL on this one.

I'm a former multi-year elite on NW and DL, but due to a new job and a three-year-old daughter, I've been statusless the last two years.

I have a flight on US coming up soon, and I needed to make a change to the ticket last week. When I called in, the system recognized my phone number (it was registered from travel on US last October, my first time on US in about 15 years), just as PHL describes. Based on my phone number, it found my reservation and asked if that's what I was calling about. I said yes, it understood me, and asked what I wanted to do. When I said "change reservation" it actually understood me, and after less than 20 seconds on hold, I was talking to a live agent who was extremely helpful.

Even as someone with no status, my experience with the US phone system compared favorably to most experiences with the NW and DL elite phone lines.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
LOL geo1005 and GAC. And truly, GAC, compared with how things used to be post America West/US Airways merger, I agree with you :-)

And I expected to be flamed, tommyleo. But I should have explained myself better. I'm not being snotty about the pronunciation. I feel the way the phone message is worded has the ring of the old Tempe mindset that caused so many problems in the past, when the newly merged national airline was run like a regional one. International operations were an afterthought. But those days are gone. It just touched an old still sore nerve I suppose.

PHL, that's interesting. I call the Chairman's 800 number. I have my cell as my main linked phone number but I usually call from home. I'll have to try the cell and see if that number is recognised. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.