Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some people just dont have manners!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by burlax
Easily. E.g., at the ends of US terminals in PHX, there are a bunch of gates right near each other, and pax don't form neat lines, so unless you were there to hear the annoucements, it's not always clear whether the boarding is starting or ending.
Yeah, but if there is clearly someone about to get a BP scanned at your gate, it is also clear that you are not about to miss your flight -- no matter how late you think you are. So why would you cut in front of another pax whose right in front of a working GA at that point?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Yeah, but if there is clearly someone about to get a BP scanned at your gate, it is also clear that you are not about to miss your flight -- no matter how late you think you are. So why would you cut in front of another pax whose right in front of a working GA at that point?
Umm. . . Because they're not always 'right in front of a working GA'?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Yes, at some point, you'd just wish US was boarding like WN does - when every pax is assigned a place in the queue.
No, never. I dont want to stand in a line like cattle. WN is ridiculous. People always jockeying in line "are you 42? I'm 41. I'm in front of you." F that noise.

I'm just saying, make it simple. Board by zones. Dont go through a whole rigmarole with that awful speech about "staying comfortably seated". Thats what gets people all jazzed up and bum rushing the gate.

"Flight 1234 is ready to board. First class please." Boom. Done.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bkafrick
No, never. I dont want to stand in a line like cattle. WN is ridiculous. People always jockeying in line "are you 42? I'm 41. I'm in front of you." F that noise.

I'm just saying, make it simple. Board by zones. Dont go through a whole rigmarole with that awful speech about "staying comfortably seated". Thats what gets people all jazzed up and bum rushing the gate.

"Flight 1234 is ready to board. First class please." Boom. Done.
I'm with you. I think the assigned boarding spots get to be pretty demeaning, and the best solution is to simplify the announcements. The more layers you add to the process, the worse it gets.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Agree with OP that some people are just rude -- don't get me started on the drunk couple last week who referred (loudly) to me and at least one other person as a******* because we weren't interested in moving around to make them less unhappy in life. There are also plenty of people who aren't rude, but are just living the flying experience differently. I'm related to some of them. They move slowly; want to engage with fellow passengers at every turn; think of the GAs and FAs as gracious staff at an elite spa. Jerks exist. But you don't have to be a jerk to slow things down. Whatever -- we mostly adjust.

Also agree with simplification: That phrase, "Families with small children ..." does nothing but incite families with small children to press to the front; what normal person would expect the phrase to end with "... can board after Zone 2," especially when neither Zone 1 nor Zone 2 has been called yet. And how natural is it to think that Zone 1 comprises both F and a whole host of other people, from Chairman to Platinum to Gold to Silver to bulkhead seats to I don't know who else. Small wonder that folks get confused about "their turn." Not that it justifies rudely cutting in front of others, but I confess various stops and starts of the boarding process have turned me into a ruder person than I meant to be. The other day, for example, I show up after boarding has apparently started. The Preferred line is empty; folks are going in from the Kettle line. When this happens I do use the Preferred line, but don't "rudely" cut -- I wait to be called by the GA. Yet how the heck was I supposed to have known on this occasion that the F's were queuing in the Kettle line? I came across as a gate crasher of the first order, though I swear that was not my intention.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
I don't know if the boarding process will ever get sorted out. Every airline does it slightly differently. I think that increases the incentive to hover around the gate -- unless you're a frequent traveler, you may not be sure how US does boarding. Second, a fair number of travelers don't speak English, so the announcements don't mean much to them.

GAs have to enforce boarding priority, and most give a lot of wiggle room. Even strict enforcing of boarding order would not have prevented the OP's issue.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:23 am

I registered to say I was on this flight and saw this couple freak out. My partner and I were both dumbfounded. He hates when people "break the rules" and this couple flying up there like they were someone special made his head asplode.

Good on you OP (and your wife) for saying something. I was impressed that someone actually stood up to them. You missed the second couple though! After first, special assistance, etc were boarded, but BEFORE zone 1 (which my partner and I were) this couple FLIES up there, in the blue lane no less, and are talking about how all they can do is say "no you can't board yet" and does the same thing - starts to hand their BP to the gate agent. Like, really? You can't wait 5 minutes????

The gate agent goes, "well I haven't called zone 1 yet, but fine." and let's them through! We just shook our heads...

Thanks OP though - for being awesome!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
There are a lot of DYKWIAs flying these days.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Same thing happened to my family and I traveling phl to tpa in January. We were cued in the elite lane with another 4 or so passengers. Special assist was boarded and fc called when this bully bounded down the general lane to bypass the line. I was able to block him out, scan our bp, board my family and allow those behind us to be cued.

I purposefully chose the term bully,because that is what this is. There was an adequate fc line with elite passengers. If this guy was a super elite, us would have accommodated him
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
burlax, let's recap...

Originally Posted by billinaz
My bp got scanned and my wife was reaching over with hers when some jerk bounds down the general boarding lane and shoves his bp and another in the gate agents face.
Could it be possible that the guy was late and thought he's almost missed the boarding?
Umm. . . Because they're not always 'right in front of a working GA'?
The OP and his wife were right in front of the GA, who was taking BPs. So again, how can any mistaken-lateness excuse be made for that guy who cut in front of the OP?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by BrienBear
I registered to say I was on this flight and saw this couple freak out.
Welcome to Flyertalk BrienBear, and thanks for joining! ^

Please feel free to post other experiences and ask questions.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Welcome to Flyertalk BrienBear, and thanks for joining! ^

Please feel free to post other experiences and ask questions.
Awww, cheers, thank you! I love reading here - you guys are knowledgeable. It's helpful for traveling, and I even work for an airline!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
There are some self-boarding trials under way and I would hope that those could enforce boarding order, though it might make companions on different PNRs harder to get through.

LH has apparently implemented some at FRA, but as I try to avoid that airport as much as possible I haven't experienced it yet.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:16 pm
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by BrienBear
I registered to say I was on this flight and saw this couple freak out. My partner and I were both dumbfounded. He hates when people "break the rules" and this couple flying up there like they were someone special made his head asplode.

Good on you OP (and your wife) for saying something. I was impressed that someone actually stood up to them. You missed the second couple though! After first, special assistance, etc were boarded, but BEFORE zone 1 (which my partner and I were) this couple FLIES up there, in the blue lane no less, and are talking about how all they can do is say "no you can't board yet" and does the same thing - starts to hand their BP to the gate agent. Like, really? You can't wait 5 minutes????

The gate agent goes, "well I haven't called zone 1 yet, but fine." and let's them through! We just shook our heads...

Thanks OP though - for being awesome!

Thanks, its a built in response from my profession........ Im not going to sit by and watch something wrong happen. I was pretty amzed when he came up on my left and shoved tose boarding passes in the GAs face. I expected him to say something when I shifted left into that lane but I guess he knew I wasnt backing down. I guess I rubbed off on my wife because now she speaks out on stuff like this too.

Were you in first?
Old May 1, 2013, 8:20 pm
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
burlax, let's recap...

The OP and his wife were right in front of the GA, who was taking BPs. So again, how can any mistaken-lateness excuse be made for that guy who cut in front of the OP?
And add all the seats at the gate full of pax, an empty general lane and a full priority boarding lane.......

I was thinking of staying there until the priority boarding lane emptied!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.