Club on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Club on Sunday

I’m flying out of PHL on a Sunday soon, just wondering what time the club opens

Last edited by cdepks; Sep 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Not sure how early you'll be there, but I definitely have had a glass of wine sometime in the 11 o'clock hour in the past. Never thought to try earlier :-)

I don't believe the day of the week has an impact.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Not sure how early you'll be there, but I definitely have had a glass of wine sometime in the 11 o'clock hour in the past. Never thought to try earlier :-)

I don't believe the day of the week has an impact.
Thanks.... Just looking for an update......

Last edited by cdepks; Sep 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by cdepks
I’m flying out of PHL on a Sunday soon, just wondering if the Club serves alcohol in the a.m., I know in the past they were not, until like 12:00 noon, anyone have updated info on this? Thanks….
I know it's 7am on Sat not sure if their State law would change things for other days.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:51 am

Pa sunday liquor sales

From the PLCB:

Sunday from 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M., provided the licensee offers a meal beginning at 9:00 A.M. Otherwise its 11 AM to start to service.

I don't know if the packaged sandwich/salads you can get at the club bar count as a meal.

Yes, we really have strange liquor laws in PA, including the temporary 18% Johnstown Flood tax from the 1930's still in effect on liquor
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by abeflyer
From the PLCB:

Sunday from 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M., provided the licensee offers a meal beginning at 9:00 A.M. Otherwise its 11 AM to start to service.

I don't know if the packaged sandwich/salads you can get at the club bar count as a meal.

Yes, we really have strange liquor laws in PA, including the temporary 18% Johnstown Flood tax from the 1930's still in effect on liquor
Think PA is strange? MA (where I grew up) officially doesn't allow out of state ID's for proof of age - only a MA license/ID, passport or DOD ID. I find most places that do card me (I'm 27 and look it) don't care but there's always that one bar or restaurant that demands a passport (which I don't normally have with me on domestic trips) since I have an New York license. Fenway Park is an example... no service with my NYS DL but no problem with a passport.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I can confirm that. MA State law says that out of state IDs and licenses are not legal ID in MA although most places will take them. MA has two types of non-license IDs as well; the standard MA ID which is proof of age and residence, but is not legal ID for purchasing alcohol. Then they also have the MA Liquor ID, which is essentially the same as the MA ID except it is legal ID for alcohol. When I go out of state, they look at my ID and wonder what a liquor ID is or question its legitimacy (in which case, I would back it up with a passport). The running joke is that the liquor ID exists so that not-so-bright people checking IDs would see the word liquor and be satisfied with that.

TX has a similar law where they will not take foreign passports.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
MA has two types of non-license IDs as well; the standard MA ID which is proof of age and residence, but is not legal ID for purchasing alcohol.
As of October 2012, regular Massachusetts non-driver ID cards are now legally acceptable proof of age for alcohol purchases:

http://www.mass.gov/abcc/pdf/idlawch...ith_id_pix.pdf
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Ive visted mas multiple times and never had my PA ID questioned. Did not know that was a law, thanks for the heads up.

Yea im always amazed traveling to other states and seeing beer and liqour in the same store! And sold in gas stations!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by abeflyer
From the PLCB:

Hey now. My hometown is STILL a dump despite that tax. There was also a much more recent flood in 1977. Maybe we need to raise it to 20%

Lord knows Johnstown needs the help.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
I've been asked to show ID in Mass., and either my PA is accepted, or once I was asked for a "secondary ID" -- credit card was fine. Amazing the TSA/FA/GA parallels that may be drawn on such enforcement/theater...
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by st1575
As of October 2012, regular Massachusetts non-driver ID cards are now legally acceptable proof of age for alcohol purchases:

http://www.mass.gov/abcc/pdf/idlawch...ith_id_pix.pdf
Just because it has changed doesn't mean that the establishments/stores know about it.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by TomBrady
Ive visted mas multiple times and never had my PA ID questioned. Did not know that was a law, thanks for the heads up.
It varies a lot by locale -- in particular, towns with a lot of college students tend to have stricter enforcement. Cambridge has (or at least had) a "cops in shops" program where undercover law enforcement actually manned the counter at liquor stores at random.

Also much more common at package outlets than restaurants or bars.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by diburning
TX has a similar law where they will not take foreign passports.
I assume that exclusion includes USA passports
Old May 5, 2013, 5:04 am

Massachusetts law was unconstitutional as it denied a person rights based on their residency in other states. Basically the only exclusion is in state tuition(which is on weak grounds) and voting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.