Wiki Posts
Search

Reservation Question: More $$$ when adding pax to reservation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Reservation Question: More $$$ when adding pax to reservation

I am SP and am trying to book me and a non-preferred on the same itinerary. If I book the two tickets on two separate itineraries, the total is $386 per ticket. If I book on one itinerary, the fare is $436 per ticket. Has anyone else experienced this? I would like to book in preferred seats; however, it is not work an extra $100 for two tickets.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:53 am

Yes, it's because there is only one seat available for the lower cost. You may or may not be able to book the two tickets on separate itineraries, because once the first ticket is booked, the second ticket will then be at the higher price. A while ago, a friend of mine was able to get both the tickets on two itineraries by booking them on two separate computers and clicking to purchase at the same time, but I'm not sure if that would work anymore.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I have read in the past that some people have experienced higher prices while being logged into their DM account. If you're logged in, try logging out and see what the price is then. You can apply your DM # after you purchase the tickets.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Mykle
Yes, it's because there is only one seat available for the lower cost. You may or may not be able to book the two tickets on separate itineraries, because once the first ticket is booked, the second ticket will then be at the higher price. A while ago, a friend of mine was able to get both the tickets on two itineraries by booking them on two separate computers and clicking to purchase at the same time, but I'm not sure if that would work anymore.
Hehehe ... I remember our travel agent doing that in 1990. My family was doing PIT-LAX on US and there were only 3 tickets available at a cheap fare ... we needed 4. So the TA set up 2 itineraries with 2 tix each, and she and my mom both pressed enter on the count of 3. We got the tickets.

Amazing that something like that could even work many years later. I thought US would have fixed that!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Superguy
Hehehe ... I remember our travel agent doing that in 1990. My family was doing PIT-LAX on US and there were only 3 tickets available at a cheap fare ... we needed 4. So the TA set up 2 itineraries with 2 tix each, and she and my mom both pressed enter on the count of 3. We got the tickets.

Amazing that something like that could even work many years later. I thought US would have fixed that!
There is a reason why some companies don't 'fix' this. B/c if you fix this, people will start complaining about bait & switch after receiving the 'sorry, that price is no longer available' message. Some will run to lawyers and eventually it may get more expensive than just selling one extra lower fare ticket.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by burlax
There is a reason why some companies don't 'fix' this. B/c if you fix this, people will start complaining about bait & switch after receiving the 'sorry, that price is no longer available' message. Some will run to lawyers and eventually it may get more expensive than just selling one extra lower fare ticket.
It also avoids the family member that did get the fare canceling it within 24 hours because the whole family can't fly at that price.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by Mykle
When I put 2 people on the reservation, all of the return flights increased by $50 per passengers, not just the flight I am interested in.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by CLTRob
When I put 2 people on the reservation, all of the return flights increased by $50 per passengers, not just the flight I am interested in.
Then there is probably only one seat in the lowest fare bucket for your outbound flight.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by burlax
Interesting theory, but it seems like conjecture. Booking engines like orbitz, expedia, and hotels.com sometimes reveal a higher price when you click on a desired deal. (Sometimes, the price actually drops, too.) Have these sites had costly lawsuits for this specific bait-and-switch tactic which you describe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.