Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow DM Status Emails?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Slow DM Status Emails?

I'm sure this has come up before as spinoffs of other discussions, but does anyone have any specific info about why emails/mailings about DM status take so long to process?

A flight on 12/6 bumped me from SP to GP - so I guess that actually credited on about 12/7 or 8. I got my mailer with the new card sometime in early January. Then today, 45 days (+/-) since I bumped up a level, I get the "Welcome to Gold Preferred" email.

Physical mailings I can kind of understand taking a little time to process. A month still seems long with today's technology, but I accept the fact that that's probably not a benchmark unique to US. But the emails? Seriously? 45 days to send an automated email? Do they just batch together anyone who's reached a new level in a given period and send them all out on one day? It just seems so disorganized.

I work in software, so the sluggishness of their internal processes really intrigues me. I'm just curious if anyone out there knows if there are any specific reasons why their communication plan seems so disjointed.

(PS - I know this may be asking a lot, seeing as US can't even keep my mileage balance in sync between my My Account page and the number that appears next to my name in the site header, but I figured I'd throw the question out there. )
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:37 pm

I know that some came out tonight for people qualifying in late December...(i.e. maybe they were holding the December qualifiers to notify in a batch).
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Slow DM Status Emails?

I requalified for SP in October and I too got the "welcome to preferred" email tonite.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
I requalified in Sept and received the email tonight. Is there a difference between those who requalified and those who moved to a higher tier? I suspect the latter would've received an email once they reached the threshhold.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I bought up to CP in December and just got the email today so it seems like a batch. I haven't gotten the card or anything else in the physical mail. This is also the order time I ever got an email about my new status and I went from dirt up to platinum before buying up to CP last December.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
I requalified in Sept and received the email tonight. Is there a difference between those who requalified and those who moved to a higher tier? I suspect the latter would've received an email once they reached the threshhold.
I didn't get any sort of quick notification when I actually reached the higher threshold to bump up to GP, but the status was recognized when I logged in on the site as soon as that flight posted. The only email notification I got was today - roughly 45 days later.

So far, sounds like they deal with these types of emails in large batches. And seeing as some of the data points mentioned go back as far as Sept & Oct, it sounds like they're fairly infrequent batches.

Maybe US IT also has to deal with the occasional MX delay...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I think they probably sent them now as they have finalized status for everyone for 2012.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
I requalified for CP back in September and got my email today too. I of course have had the benefits since then so the email timing is sort of irrelevant.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I think they probably sent them now as they have finalized status for everyone for 2012.
I can understand that logic for people who they "rounded up" with that last segment or couple miles, but if someone actually rolls over the threshold for a new level - and already has their new card in hand - the email delay just seems odd. Even more so for those that mentioned (re)qualifying as far back as September.

If they are working in batches, then I guess my question shifts to why they're not more frequent. I still don't understand why they don't just have an automatic daily/weekly email that goes to anyone who just reached/retained a preferred level. But even without that, it looks as though they're batching many months worth of data into one email push.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA Plat, DL Silver, SW A-List, Emerald Club Exec
Slow DM Status Emails?

Hey guys,

I qualified for CP back in early December, and had my card by Christmas, yet I too got the email today saying 'Welcome to Chairman's Preferred".
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA Plat, DL Silver, SW A-List, Emerald Club Exec
Slow DM Status Emails?

Too bad it wasn't a "Welcome to TSA Precheck" email...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pizzaman87
Too bad it wasn't a "Welcome to TSA Precheck" email...
So true...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: US Platinum, KL FB Gold, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, IC Amb.
Platinum for nothing

Strangest thing happened to me.. Received a welcome to platinum preferred email tonight, but has 0 qualifying miles!!

Do you think my status will be revoked?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Stephano
...Received a welcome to platinum preferred email tonight, but has 0 qualifying miles!! ...Do you think my status will be revoked?
If you've never flown US, then it appears to a mistake ...

If you've flown US on higher fares but credited to another FF program, it may be part of US' marketing efforts to recruit high-value flyers like you into the Dividend Miles program

If you have a card like Amex Centurion, Platinum is part of your benefits .....

Easy way to check is to log into your US account (if you have one!). Under 'quick links" there's a tab to "reprint your card" ... click on that to see if you're indeed Platinum and look at the expiration date - if it says Platinum until Feb 28, 2014 then it's indeed a gift from US.

In short, I don't think it would be revoked. If you don't fly US, it doesn't really matter (except for certain benefits like complimentary StarGold lounge access); if it encourages you to, then it's a win for US.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: US Platinum, KL FB Gold, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, IC Amb.
Originally Posted by kudzu
If you've never flown US, then it appears to a mistake ...

If you've flown US on higher fares but credited to another FF program, it may be part of US' marketing efforts to recruit high-value flyers like you into the Dividend Miles program

If you have a card like Amex Centurion, Platinum is part of your benefits .....

Easy way to check is to log into your US account (if you have one!). Under 'quick links" there's a tab to "reprint your card" ... click on that to see if you're indeed Platinum and look at the expiration date - if it says Platinum until Feb 28, 2014 then it's indeed a gift from US.

In short, I don't think it would be revoked. If you don't fly US, it doesn't really matter (except for certain benefits like complimentary StarGold lounge access); if it encourages you to, then it's a win for US.
Well, the star gold benefits is really nice! A friend also received one... But girlfriend did not

what my friend and I have in common is that we have purchased serious amount of miles (on purchase bonuses..) - and flown premium on star carriers..

The card does indeed say until february 2014.. Well - lets just hope I receive me card package in the mail and I am happy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.