Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AA Livery - Why? - Merger Likely

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:24 am
Original Poster

As the AA / US merger is becoming more and more likely it seems strange that American would embark on a very costly rebranding at this time. If the merger occurs it would seem to me that there would be a blending of each companies livery and branding as occurred with UA/CO and DL/CO. It is clear that the surviving entity would be called AMERICAN if this merger occurs. Strange timing because my inside contacts tell me a merger announcement is VERY imminent.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
just speculating.. but they took the eagle and AA off the tail and replaced it with a flag. maybe they're hinting at something..

The new AA livery is growing on me. Looks pretty good on the 738 and the Eagle renderings. Not so much on the 777-300. Still, i'd be very happy with the new american livery and the current US tail. Perhaps switch the blue and red shade to match.. but would be very fitting.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
This presumes a merger is a foregone conclusion.
If the surviving carrier name is to be American, it would be the US aircraft that would have to be re-painted
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:46 am

Whoops, didn't read the OP close enough the first time.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Interview with AA CEO Horton:

<snip>

... With so many questions left unanswered in the bankruptcy and a potential merger, why do this right now? Why not wait until those questions are answered?

“Yeah, very good question. Why now? .. The financial restructuring is essentially complete. The remaining question is the merger, of course. That’s going to take a bit more time.

“This has been in the works for two years. As we brought the rebranding work to a close, we were very much focused on the introduction of the new 777-300. You can see that airplane doesn’t have a livery on it, and the plan was to put the new livery on it and send those airplanes around the world. Indeed, that’s what we’re going to do. Those planes go into service at the end of January, so now’s the time.”

If your board decides to go through with a merger, does this have to be all redone again?

“Oh, I wouldn’t think so. This look sort of speaks for itself. This is I think a very powerful image for the new American, whether we proceed with a combination or not. I would think that most folks would agree.” ...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
New livery means absolutely nothing other than a new livery for AA. Both airlines have to continue operating as if no merger were going to happen because its quite possible no merger will happen. It just smart business sense. Some of you might recall what happened after the first time UA and US tried to merge. All the attentions were focused on the merger, which didnt end up happening, and that caused quite a few problems.

And as Tim Horton said in his statement the new livery has been in the works even prior to all this merger talk.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: None
AA had to have a new livery - the 787 having a composite fuselage that had to be painted ensured that. Even the 737's and 777's had a patchwork look with the composite panels.

Jim
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: US GP, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, Enterprise Plat
either way, even if they did agree to merge, they probably wouldnt begin operating as one airline for at least a few years...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:44 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Once the UA and DL mergers became complete, the repainting seemed to move along very quickly. I also don't view the AA livery change to be at all influenced by a potential merger.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by jdcece
As the AA / US merger is becoming more and more likely it seems strange that American would embark on a very costly rebranding at this time. If the merger occurs it would seem to me that there would be a blending of each companies livery and branding as occurred with UA/CO and DL/CO. It is clear that the surviving entity would be called AMERICAN if this merger occurs. Strange timing because my inside contacts tell me a merger announcement is VERY imminent.
In all due respects, anyone in the know is not talking for 2 reasons:

1. NDA between US and AA.
2. Violation of securities law.

Therefore, your inside contact(s) is just speculating off of heresay, rumors, FT posts, etc.

Rest assured, if he/she does know and is speaking to someone posting on a public website, that individual is in serious legal jeopardy! And it will not be to hard to figure out who your source is, as the authorities will come down on you to extract the info.

I know you have to realize that your identity maybe anonymous to FTs but a subponea from a law enformcement agency will reveal you in minutes as there is a permenant electronic footprint. A merger transaction is insider information especially when 2 public companies are involved. Just saying.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the AA / US merger is becoming more and more likely it seems strange that American would embark on a very costly rebranding at this time.
I personally dislike the garish new livery, but when airlines emerge from Ch 11, they frequently embark on a marketing makeover. If the merger does not happen for a while, should AA place its recovery plans on hold? In what other areas should AA play "wait and see?"

If the merger occurs it would seem to me that there would be a blending of each companies livery and branding as occurred with UA/CO and DL/CO. It is clear that the surviving entity would be called AMERICAN if this merger occurs.
I think it's a big assumption to think that the livery of the merged entity would incorporate elements of the US livery.

Strange timing because my inside contacts tell me a merger announcement is VERY imminent.
Your "inside contacts" are just flapping their gums to hear themselves talk. Either that or they're violating the federal securities laws. Thus, they're likely not actually anyone who is "in the know." Anyone who has any inside knowledge of an actual merger announcement is not talking to their friends about it, unless they're terminally stupid. It's been no secret for more than a year that Parker really wants to merge with AA, and it's been no secret that Horton believes that emerging on its own is his preference.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I personally dislike the garish new livery, but when airlines emerge from Ch 11, they frequently embark on a marketing makeover. If the merger does not happen for a while, should AA place its recovery plans on hold? In what other areas should AA play "wait and see?"

I think it's a big assumption to think that the livery of the merged entity would incorporate elements of the US livery.

Your "inside contacts" are just flapping their gums to hear themselves talk. Either that or they're violating the federal securities laws. Thus, they're likely not actually anyone who is "in the know." Anyone who has any inside knowledge of an actual merger announcement is not talking to their friends about it, unless they're terminally stupid. It's been no secret for more than a year that Parker really wants to merge with AA, and it's been no secret that Horton believes that emerging on its own is his preference.
LOL. A big +1. See my post directly above yours. Looks like I beat you by just seconds according to the time stamp.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
LOL. A big +1. See my post directly above yours. Looks like I beat you by just seconds according to the time stamp.

If there was any suspicion that we're the same person posting under different usernames, this should put that to rest.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA

If there was any suspicion that we're the same person posting under different usernames, this should put that to rest.
There could NEVER be any question of that?? Your acumen of the aviation industry is exceptional!! I can just sit back and read with a profound appreciation/respect of your knowledge on the airline industry; not to mention your demonstrated knowledge of the legal profession.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:28 pm

How much does it cost to repaint and rebrand an entire fleet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.