Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow-PHL: US Airways or BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Heathrow-PHL: US Airways or BA?

Does US have the economy plus seating, as BA does?
If not, it'd mean we'd be booking business, a good deal more expensive I believe.

Has anyone flown both and can make comparisons?

Thank you.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
US has only coach and business class (Envoy Class). If in business, I'd sleep the whole way in US's Envoy Suites if I were you.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5-Star, National Exec Elite
Yeah, flown both...Only two classes on US...Coach and Envoy. Only have done Envoy once on a return from LHR a couple years ago but it was very comfortable.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: free agent
My $0.02: if you're in coach, BA has the edge in terms of service and cabin comfort. But in my opinion, the Envoy suites on the A330 are definitely superior to the BA J product - they're a lot more roomy, plus the BA ones are in a bit of a strange configuration with the reverse facing suites.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the replies. We're elderly and travel is kind of stressful these days, even at best; so I'd like to try to have as comfortable a trip as possible.
We rarely are able to sleep on planes. I've never been in those envoy seats. Am I correct that one is not very close to one's traveling mate? I guess business seats tend to be for solo travelers? But I'd not enjoy being angles away from my husband; doesn't seem as if it'd be very easy to converse, much less touch. (I get scared when things are bumpy, and need to grab a hand.)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:17 am

I still prefer BA, used to travel with US but no offense, BA offers better services...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PP, Bonvoy Gold
If you're in Envoy suites, you will definitely have a hard time holding a conversation - best bet for a conversation is actually aisles across. holding hands I would think would be near impossible. but the seats lay completely horizontal and are very comfortable. Service is also very good.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:30 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Folks,

Do we have to have the same thread opened every week...

We discussed BA vs. US just after Xmas... Please use search facility...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TPJ
Folks,

Do we have to have the same thread opened every week...

We discussed BA vs. US just after Xmas... Please use search facility...
And there's the helpfulness FlyerTalk is known for!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

I much appreciate the feedback-- the kind replies at any rate.
I've also been trying to decide which airline to take from Phila-Stockholm (same trip). I'd hoped for SAS or Lufthansa because we've had very good service on those airlines in the past, when we flew economy. But I learned that their business class seating for this route does not have flat-bed seats. We've never been able to sleep on planes, and we'd like to think that maybe we could on the lie-flat. So it looks as if it'll be PHL-Frankfurt-ARN. I don't like the idea of having to transfer in Frankfurt (would rather make the switch state-side), but so be it. I've also never had especially great service on US.
Can anyone tell me for sure whether we'll be connecting in the same terminal, hopefully even from a close gate? Or does one not know that sort of thing until way later?
Thank you!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by pease
Does US have the economy plus seating, as BA does?
If not, it'd mean we'd be booking business, a good deal more expensive I believe.

Has anyone flown both and can make comparisons?

Thank you.
Nope

Have you looked at VS Premium Economy? Think domestic F - deep recline cradle seats with legrests (4 across on the 744 upper deck, 7 across on the 346), improved catering, etc.. more like a "J Lite" product and generally regarded as a step up over BA's World Traveler Plus. You also get bonus PQM's if you credit to US.

United has "Economy Plus" but it's really just regular coach seats with a few extra inches of legroom. Delta's "Economy Comfort" is similar, but also gives you a few extra inches of recline along with free beer and house wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.