Wiki Posts
Search

US Domestic First- No meals <3.5 hours

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Interesting, thanks for the info..

BTW, I had the BBQ chicken on my last BOS-PHX flight which was a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty good, just wished for a bigger piece of chicken breast...
Agree with this 100%. Meals are tasty and generally good quality, but as you note the actual meat portion (in this case a chicken breast) is maybe only 3-4 oz, which is quite small. If you're really hungry, you'll probably need to fill up on the salad, bread, etc.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Agree with this 100%. Meals are tasty and generally good quality, but as you note the actual meat portion (in this case a chicken breast) is maybe only 3-4 oz, which is quite small. If you're really hungry, you'll probably need to fill up on the salad, bread, etc.
This has been my biggest complaint with US on meals, where AA uses GMO chicken size breast, US uses starved chicken breast... I'm one who wants to eat healther, but the portion size is really small on say a 6 hr flight BOS-PHX and the snack basket doest really offer much healthy choices..
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: None
A couple of oz reduction in the size of the meat portions will add up to a decent amount of money over a year. For a $10-12 Billion a year corporation it doesn't seem like much but as the say in Washington, "a few billion, a few billion there and pretty soon you're talking about real money". Change those billions to millions or even hundreds of thousands and the same is true for an airline. I can't remember which carrier it was - one of the big 6 at that time - that removed 1 leaf from the 2 or 3 that were put under chicken salad or some such and saved a couple of million a year.

Jim
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
A couple of oz reduction in the size of the meat portions will add up to a decent amount of money over a year. For a $10-12 Billion a year corporation it doesn't seem like much but as the say in Washington, "a few billion, a few billion there and pretty soon you're talking about real money". Change those billions to millions or even hundreds of thousands and the same is true for an airline. I can't remember which carrier it was - one of the big 6 at that time - that removed 1 leaf from the 2 or 3 that were put under chicken salad or some such and saved a couple of million a year.

Jim
LOL, well UA started this about June of this year... I understand the whole budget. You really need to see the size difference between US and AA in chicken breast...
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:57 am

AA has tried to appeal more to premium passengers the last 6 months or so I'm not surprised that there's a difference. Parker has repeatedly said that the US hubs don't generate the revenue that the hubs of the bigger legacies do, so he couldn't pay more. Even assuming that's only half true it would apply to every controllable expense category, including catering.

Jim
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This has been my biggest complaint with US on meals, where AA uses GMO chicken size breast, US uses starved chicken breast... I'm one who wants to eat healther, but the portion size is really small on say a 6 hr flight BOS-PHX and the snack basket doest really offer much healthy choices..
I felt the meal I was given on PHX-BOS was more than adequate. The portion of chicken was certainly similar to what I'd eat at home, if not more.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...where AA uses GMO chicken size breast, US uses starved chicken breast....
I've had the chicken in-flight on both US and AA.

I prefer to think of US' chicken as "free-range size" and (to be impolite) AA's as "chicken on steroids"
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
To further expand on the selections offered in case anyone is interested (the whole process may be changing in a few months):

I believe, without pulling the website back up, that there are 3 domestic menus (using the word as in a restaurant) labeled cycle 1, 2, & 3 and each menu has two choices. Hence my use of the word cycle now and then. The domestic system is also divided into catering zones - again 3 I believe. Zone 1 is the western U.S., 2 is eastern, and 3 is caribbean/Latin America/Mexico (3 is an I think). Flights catered in zone 1 may get cycle (menu) 1 meal choices, zone 2 would get #2, etc. The next month all 3 zones change the menu but no two are on the same menu. So zone 1 would go to cycle 2, zone 2 to cycle 3, etc.

TATL flights follow the same basic basic procedure although more choices per menu in Envoy and are "zoned" by direction of flight plus TLV, and I think GIG have different menus and direction. So if you fly eastbound and westbound within the same month you'll see two different menus. If you fly to TLV and back within the same month you'll see two menus. Same for GIG. The next month the menu will change for all the TATL flights but there will still be the difference based on direction/destination.

Jim
I'm thinking UA does something similar. This summer, I did IAH-AMS and got a particular menu. The following month, I did LAX-NRT and I got the exact same menu, though a Japanese option was added as well.

I was disappointed, to say the least.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
I felt the meal I was given on PHX-BOS was more than adequate. The portion of chicken was certainly similar to what I'd eat at home, if not more.
Agreed.

I'm a big eater and while the meals aren't huge, they're adequate for a big guy like me. I've never felt hungry after a US meal. I think they've done a good job on portioning.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
I can't remember which carrier it was - one of the big 6 at that time - that removed 1 leaf from the 2 or 3 that were put under chicken salad or some such and saved a couple of million a year.
You're referring to the famous cost cutting measure implemented in 1987 by Robert Crandall, then CEO of American Airlines.

He spoke publicly in interviews saying that removing just a single olive from salads served on board would net the company hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings each year.

It was arguably one of the tipping points where airlines started to consider these things whereas in prior decades that wasn't the case. Reaction by the general public was positive because hey... "who would miss one olive?". The problem is that the public had no idea what was coming down the line over the next decade or two.

His statement formed the foundation and philosophy of modern day cost cutting measures. You can Google "Robert Crandall Olive" and read dozens of news stories about it.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:19 am

I like to eat and I don't really have a problem with the portion size. At home, I do tend to plate more protein and less starch, but I've found that most are not into that.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kudzu
I've had the chicken in-flight on both US and AA.

I prefer to think of US' chicken as "free-range size" and (to be impolite) AA's as "chicken on steroids"
LOL, same thing.... I had a chicken dish on AA and was really taken on how big it was... Now I haven't been lucky to have a steak on AA (yet) but some of the pictures is vey impressive for a domestic meal on a mid-con flight....
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:59 am

LOL, same thing.... I had a chicken dish on AA and was really taken on how big it was... Now I haven't been lucky to have a steak on AA (yet) but some of the pictures is vey impressive for a domestic meal on a mid-con flight....
Don't worry, you will on the new AA. However, in order to save costs, they'll no longer tell you what kind of horse it came from.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Don't worry, you will on the new AA. However, in order to save costs, they'll no longer tell you what kind of horse it came from.
LOL...the standard pilot quip is "you want the yard bird or the mystery meat?"

Jim
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:04 am

So if your meal (redeye) is listed as "Continental Breakfast" is that code word for nothing? We didn't see anything on the PHX-BOS redeye this morning, other than the snack basket after departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.