Wiki Posts
Search

PHL -BRU-Mumbai - first time brussels airport question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:38 am
Original Poster

PHL -BRU-Mumbai - first time brussels airport question

Hi,

For the dates in January travel BA from philly is coming to be mor ethan doing a multiple airline.

i got a US airways from phl to bru to mumbai and on return it Jet airways.

Can anyone tell me how these flights are? is teh food good? How is the brussels airport compared to London in terms of easy navigation, transit visa requirements and getting from one gate to the other.

Should I conside this airline?

date sare Jan 10,11 or 12th any day woudl work return 31st jan.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
PHL-BRU ...

PHL-BRU is not the gem of the US TATL system. I have not looked up the dates you mentioned, but in winters past I have done it in either a B767 or a B757. Neither are much fun in coach, and the so-called Envoy seating in first/business is only preferable in comparison to coach. What I mean is that coach in the B767 (or B757) is worse than coach in the A330-200 or A330-300 (the other planes in US's TATL fleet); and Envoy in the B767 (or B757) is a disappointment relative to Envoy in the A330s.

The only saving grace, if you can wrangle it, is one of the open exit rows in a B757 (but I am betting based on last winter that you will get a B767).

I am not an expert in the BRU airport, but the last time through making a connection I found the immigration lines friendly, but incredibly long and disorganized. It was only after the fact that I discovered that "custom" was to work your way up on the right if you have a tight connection. Also, on exiting the airplane, I did not find the US ground staff especially savvy.

This all makes it sound as though I am down on the US experience. I am not. I think US is a very good airline. It's just that BRU has not been (in my limited experience) the best place to experience it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
. . . What I mean is that coach in the B767 (or B757) is worse than coach in the A330-200 or A330-300 (the other planes in US's TATL fleet); and Envoy in the B767 (or B757) is a disappointment relative to Envoy in the A330s. . .
On the bright side, since 767 Envoy is so bad, it's easier to upgrade to it than to suites on A332/3
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: US Chairman, BA Bronze, SPG Gold
In terms of the connection, BRU is configured nicely to handle extra-Shengen to extra-Shengen connections on long-haul flights. Your arrival from PHL will arrive on Pier B and your Jet Airways flight to India will depart from the very end of Pier B. Provided you do not need to access the baggage claims or check-in counters, there is no need for you to pass through EU/Shengen immigration in BRU. This should be a very simple and easy connection.

The experience BiggieFries had in BRU likely occurred while making a connection onto a Shengen destination, which requires passengers to make their way to Pier A and pass through both immigration and a security check.

In terms of the onboard product, I cannot comment on the Jet Airways longhaul economy product (have only flown shorthaul). Agree with the previous comments on the US 757/767 product...but if the price is right the bare bones amenities of either of those aircraft shouldn't be a major deterrent. Just adjust your expectations accordingly, particularly in terms of onboard entertainment and provision of free alcohol (if in economy).
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA1K
BRU is really easy to connect. depending on when your flight arrives, the immigration lines should not be too bad. the time between terminals is about five minutes.

BRU is a really nice airport. modern, great shops, and very easy to navigate. you should not have any problems at all.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I am not an expert in the BRU airport, but the last time through making a connection I found the immigration lines friendly, but incredibly long and disorganized. It was only after the fact that I discovered that "custom" was to work your way up on the right if you have a tight connection. Also, on exiting the airplane, I did not find the US ground staff especially savvy.
Originally Posted by ORDGUY747
In terms of the connection, BRU is configured nicely to handle extra-Shengen to extra-Shengen connections on long-haul flights. Your arrival from PHL will arrive on Pier B and your Jet Airways flight to India will depart from the very end of Pier B. Provided you do not need to access the baggage claims or check-in counters, there is no need for you to pass through EU/Shengen immigration in BRU. This should be a very simple and easy connection.

The experience BiggieFries had in BRU likely occurred while making a connection onto a Shengen destination, which requires passengers to make their way to Pier A and pass through both immigration and a security check.
True. Thanks for the clarification. Thus my comments on this irrelevant to OP.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Sid369
is teh food good? How is the brussels airport compared to London in terms of easy navigation, transit visa requirements and getting from one gate to the other.

Should I conside this airline?

date sare Jan 10,11 or 12th any day woudl work return 31st jan.
I'd say don't have very high expectations for the food. A lot of it depends on personal preference when it comes to food, however, I can vouch for the fact that the meals on the Jet Airways flights are far far better than any other airline I've flown to India.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, SPG Gold
I have done PHL-BRU in the winter several times and yes that aircraft has seen its better days. However its short for European travel and it is going to be easy to do a GoEnvoy upgrade. One time I upgraded three people easily. Have fun!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:19 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
BRU is good for transit - you will have to clear security. IIRC Jet has its own security lines - just follow the signs (but you can use any line - Jet or general). Jet is great - meals are great, if important for you - booze is for free & sort of unlimited (for some reasons I have never seen too many people having a drink on long-haul Jet flights - even in Business Class - so these who drink can have quite a few drinks). F/A are quite nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.