Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Emotional Support Animal" on my flight flies for free. Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by finster869
Federal Law requires airlines to permit passengers with emotional support animals to fly with them free of charge. True emotional support animals are used as a form of therapy for people with disabilities. There are strict requirements.

Documentation must state:

The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders -- Fourth Edition (DSM IV)

The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination

The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional or medical doctor, and the passenger is under his or her professional care.

The date and type of the mental health professional or medical doctor's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.

I can tell you that on the two occasions that I saw passengers in first class traveling with an emotional support animal, they were required to show the required documentation on the plane.
"Strict requirements"? These sound a lot like the same "requirements" needed to have a pot prescription written in California! (Go to the doc, tell him you have anxiety, and you can buy pot legally...)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Miniature Horse

Here's a good one for you:

Take a look at the picture of the Miniature Horse in the bulkhead.

http://www.guidehorse.org/news_minis_fly.htm
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Here's a good one for you:

Take a look at the picture of the Miniature Horse in the bulkhead.

http://www.guidehorse.org/news_minis_fly.htm
Miniature Horses are used (and are being used as such in the link you give) as 'traditional' service animals, i.e. guides for blind people. I believe they are typically used where the person needing a service animal has an allergy to dogs, though I don't think they are limited to only that situation.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:58 am

For those of you who view an emotional support animal as a joke let me clarify for you...

2 years ago I was in an explosion which gave me 3rd degree burns to 50% of my body, I was in a coma for 5 weeks and underwent numerous surgeries, they gave me a less then 5% chance for survival but here I am 2 years later. The accident has left me with PTSD, severe social anxiety and mild agoraphobia. Until I got my emotional support dog, Bo, it was rare for me to leave my home, after working with Bo for the past year I actually have a life again. With him I am able to go for walks, meet friends for a coffee, do my grocery shopping etc., he gives me the confidence and security I need to be outside my home.

I live in Spain but my family lives in California, I haven't been back to visit since the accident but I have my first grandchild on the way and I would dearly love to be there for it's birth and to be able to visit on a regular basis. This would not be possible if I were unable to have Bo with me when I travel. Please take a moment to realize that not all disabilities are obvious and the trauma of those suffering from PTSD and other mental disabilities is very real.

If my dog allows me the freedom that most of you take for granted... is well groomed, obedient and quiet... why would anyone have a problem with this?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Jacquie Bernier
For those of you who view an emotional support animal as a joke let me clarify for you...
Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond

2 years ago I was in an explosion which gave me 3rd degree burns to 50% of my body, I was in a coma for 5 weeks and underwent numerous surgeries, they gave me a less then 5% chance for survival but here I am 2 years later. The accident has left me with PTSD, severe social anxiety and mild agoraphobia. Until I got my emotional support dog, Bo, it was rare for me to leave my home, after working with Bo for the past year I actually have a life again. With him I am able to go for walks, meet friends for a coffee, do my grocery shopping etc., he gives me the confidence and security I need to be outside my home.

I live in Spain but my family lives in California, I haven't been back to visit since the accident but I have my first grandchild on the way and I would dearly love to be there for it's birth and to be able to visit on a regular basis. This would not be possible if I were unable to have Bo with me when I travel. Please take a moment to realize that not all disabilities are obvious and the trauma of those suffering from PTSD and other mental disabilities is very real.

If my dog allows me the freedom that most of you take for granted... is well groomed, obedient and quiet... why would anyone have a problem with this?
The problem is for every one of you, with a real need there are 99 con artists just getting their pet foo foo on the plane for free. The majority of us are tired of dealing with foo foo. Until the airlines start really enforcing real standards most of us remain skeptical .
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
FWIW, Dont be surprised when the laws surrounding "emotional support" animals changes for the airlines. The ADA has already changed with regards to public facilities (hotels, restaurants,etc.) in that "emotional support" animals are not considered "assistance" animals any more. The law then clarifies the conditions under which an animal can be classified an "assistance" animal and even gives the business operator very specific questions to ask. If any of those questions cannot be answered or are answered incorrectly, the animal can be refused by the business. Also the law goes even further to establish that only dogs and mini-horses are the only allowable "assistance" animals. That monkeys, goats, pigs, etc. are not "assistance" animals.

Its only a matter of time until the ACAA is updated to match the ADA.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:26 am

If I walked on a plane and saw a mini horse, I would assume I took too many ativans.

I was reading a BVI travel forum the other day and there was an entire thread about getting your dog certified as a service animal specifically to take doggie on vacation. Not to do service on vacation, mind you, but to get the dog certified solely for the purpose of being able to take them in the regular cabin on the plane.

And I agree, 99% of the cons are ruining it for the people that truly benefit from a service animal.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: Motel 6, LLO Titanium
Welcome!

Mental and emotional disabilities certainly can be worse than many physical ones. How we deal with this on aircraft is an excellent discussion!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
There are emotional support dogs being flown to Newtown, CT this week and we can only hope US Airways is supporting folks efforts to offer assistance.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by Granitebox
There are emotional support dogs being flown to Newtown, CT this week and we can only hope US Airways is supporting folks efforts to offer assistance.
Thank you! I was wondering when this was going to come up as I read through the other postings to get this far...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I'm going to start bringing my emotion support gorilla.

DON'T YOU DARE OBJECT!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by cwe84
The owner and doctor are liable for the animal in the event of an incident involving the animal.
This is unsubstantiated rubbish that you have just fabricated.
How on earth would a doctor be liable for someone's choice in dog or where he takes it?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by Granitebox
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...le+Feedfetcher
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by pbuntrock
The problem is for every one of you, with a real need there are 99 con artists just getting their pet foo foo on the plane for free. The majority of us are tired of dealing with foo foo. Until the airlines start really enforcing real standards most of us remain skeptical .
Exactly.

Imagine if all animals were free to carry-on, or if the ESA fee was the same as for pets. There is no doubt in my mind that the number of 'ESAs on board' would drop dramatically (assuming there was a reason to kepp track of it).

I think most people understand that some ESAs are really needed. But given the financial benefit of claiming your pet as an ESA, there are far more of them on planes than are actually needed.

Personally, I think claiming a disability, and its benefits, when you have none is highly unethical, but I digress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.