Wiki Posts
Search

Silver Upgrade 30+ days out???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP | MR PL | HH Diamond | Hertz PC
Silver Upgrade 30+ days out???

Last month I granted my boss Silver (how nice of me) and today he sends me his confirmation showing his FC upgrade for a flight more than a month away. Good for him, but how did this happen?

It's a very expensive one-way... does that have something to do with it? It's still a restricted fare.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Sounds like the ticket was a Y or B fare bucket, in which case it will upgrade as soon as inventory is released, even if it's nowhere near the upgrade windows.
Suspended

Full fare tickets by preferreds get instant upgrades

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../upgrades.html

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
It's likely a high $$$ coach fare that allows for an immediate upgrade to FC.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Three identical answers at 3:29 PM.

Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:39 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Question You Needed To Ask???!!!

Dear Matt,

Your profile indicates your Chairman's with US Air. So, the reason for asking this question is you REALLY don't know how instant upgrades work???
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Dear Matt,

Your profile indicates your Chairman's with US Air. So, the reason for asking this question is you REALLY don't know how instant upgrades work???
Um, in OP's defense, I too am a Chairman but I have never bought one of those tickets before. I did suspect the answer was that given simultaneously by others, but that only from reading about these fares. By the way, the main reason I never buy such fares is because I'm cheap (or can't afford them -- but it amounts to the same thing); but I must say, having read about them on this board, and having occasionally studied the huge number of fare classes, I have always wondered how, from the simple website dichotomy (restricted/unrestricted) you ever know which class you are getting with a restricted economy ticket.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Nov 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm Reason: changed the last few words to make clear -- I hope -- which kind of ticket I am talking about
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Yeah as CP for several years, I've only booked a Y/B fare once, because my corporate travel policy doesn't allow for anything but the cheapest ticket, and my personal budget doesn't usually have room for a full fare ticket. I don't even really know if you can find out the fare bucket online before purchasing, at least on the US site. It's pretty easy to go years without buying a Y/B fare and still log 100k miles BIS.

The one time I did buy a Y/B fare, I had to go pretty far out of my way to buy it, and I had to call in to book it, but that's because I was using a credit from a trip I cancelled. I am usually content to play upgrade roulette but on this one specific trip, F was a must, and the paid F fares were pretty nuts.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:48 pm

While we are being publicly cheap, I too am a CP and have never bought a full Y or B fare for domestic travel. I have however bought my fair share of 'A' fares (coach fare with upgrade at time of booking to the FC cabin).

Also, several years ago before the upgrade to Envoy charts changed you could upgrade with relatively few miles (I think it was 10k one-way) if you bought a Y,B or M fare to Europe. Most of the time they were almost as high as the discounted Envoy fares but with all the competition to London, US would frequently have some ~$800'ish r/t fares to LGW. I took advantage of that scenario a few times ($800 bucks + 20k miles for r/t Envoy).
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP | MR PL | HH Diamond | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Dear Matt,

Dear I_Can_Fly_US_Airways,

Actually, my reason for asking this question was that I didn't know instant upgrades existed in the first place. As BIGGIE and others point out, I and they never book these fares due to cost and/or company policy. So how WAS I to know? - other than asking the question here in what is usually a friendly environment.

But thanks for your valuable input...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.