Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoEnvoy/business and other TA upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by thphilly
If you know you want to do the $300/#30K DM upgrade, wouldn't it make sense to do it ASAP?
No doubt ... if Envoy seats were available for upgrade now (they're not). So, I'm really looking for feedback from someone seasoned with this who can advise on general prospects, and the most effective means by which to secure the upgrades.

Envoy seats on departing and return flights are more than half unsold, but I'm sad to say that only the return currently permits an award travel reservation (high demand period); the departure date is blocked out.

Travel dates are 4 months out; obviously we can check daily to see if seats are released for upgrade. From a practical standpoint, I'm guessing that it's reasonable to check only weekly for the next couple months ... but would like to hear from someone who's been through this mill at least once or twice.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
I just went through this exact same thing last week.

My return from MAN - PHL was showing multiple seats available for purchase but the 30k + $300 upgrades did not become available until T-24 hours. I checked daily for the 2 weeks leading up to the flight and every couple of hours for the last 3 or 4 days with no luck, using both the Chairmans desk and the EU freephone number.

There seems to be no way for them to tell when seats are going to be released for upgrade, so it is definitely a case of keep trying as often as you can!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Fare Class and Go Envoy

Do you guys think fare class affects GoEnvoy eligibility? If i book a B class fare as opposed to a bottom of the barrel ticket, will that hurt my chances?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by dubstyle311
Do you guys think fare class affects GoEnvoy eligibility? ...
Fare class doesn't affect GoEnvoy availability at all.

Like GoFirst - first come, first serve 24 hours prior to flight or at the airport ... if there are Envoy seats left, US will sell them to any pax in whatever Economy fare class booked.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:46 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If you are on a full B fare, you can also use 30,000 points without the $300 copay fee (each way), and you can do this in advance of the trip. But it requires the necessary award/upgrade inventory to be available, which may not open up until days before the flight - even if there is a totally empty cabin.

It depends what the points are worth to you because a lot of reports are saying GoEnvoy upgrades are now between $600-$800, each way.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:27 pm

Anybody been able to goenvoy from lhr? What's the going rate?

Last edited by Wrend1; Jul 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Wrend1
Anybody been able to goenvoy from lhr? What's the going rate?
I was offered twice (PHL-LHR and CLT-LHR using the certificates) but I politely turned them down. My primary reason was to do with wanting to experience other European cities and then to use the trains (very pleasant!) to get to London. My preferences may not fit you though. BTW, since you mention about the 'going rate', one may want to take into considerations of the landing tax at either LHR or LGW.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I did it in July. I was quoted $700 + $102 UK luxury tax.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I did it in July. I was quoted $700 + $102 UK luxury tax.
Ouch!

Last time i did it i think $602 was the price, and that was tough as i paid $500from clt-lhr. I will call t-24 and see what they say.

Do they get cheaper the closer to departure?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I don't think it gets cheaper closer to departure. I did it at t-24 on the phone because I did not want other people to get it before I did. But last year I waited until I was at the airport and asked if the GoEnvoy PHL to LHR was in the $500 range I would take it. The agent laughed and said it was $700. Maybe it depends on the load. But it seems this is the cost since last year.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
PHL-LHR is my most regular European route, and I've heard it announced at $700 when flying it in the past year or so. There is decent paid Envoy demand on this route, and even though it's one of the shorter A330 routes, they seem to have sold most of those upgrades on the flights I've been on.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
Envoy to LHR or MAN is almost always full. Since it's a business heavy route, my guess is many people are allowed to upgrade to business on flights over so many hours.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:56 am

Just FYI. I will be lhr-clt. Any difference in price from phl route?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:37 am

Showing 15 open seats on my flight from lhr middle of next week, is that an accurate #, i know some on here have said that the usairways website is not great for that? If so id think i may be ok to get one?

Still interested to hear of what people are paying to go to CLT from LHR goenvoy.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by Wrend1
Showing 15 open seats on my flight from lhr middle of next week, is that an accurate #, i know some on here have said that the usairways website is not great for that? If so id think i may be ok to get one?

Still interested to hear of what people are paying to go to CLT from LHR goenvoy.
You could check flightstats.com I see some J options for say PHL-TLV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.