Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL-JFK now showing on US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Will use Dec 8, 2012 as an example, but it seems US now operates two daily PHL-JFK flights on weekends and one daily flight on weekdays. All of them are operated by E170/175. Not that it's a big thing, as the schedule is limited, but still interesting to see.

And, it doesn't seem to be a positioning flight to operate a CLT-JFK flight as all five daily CLT-JFK flights are a mix of A319/A320/A321 aircraft.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:01 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
What?

E70?

PHL-JFK?

Maybe they assume the merger would happen before Dec 8??? Otherwise who would fly to JFK?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Are you kidding? I'd fly to JFK from PHL to connect to an Asian carrier rather than driving to JFK from Trenton, NJ. 500 mile segment and not having to deal with the V-Narrows bridge and other assorted traffic is fantastic.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:00 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

This is great. But the route will only thrive because people are making *A connections.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Delta does PHL to JFK now. US after the merger with AA will indeed do PHL to JFK to make international connections.

JFK to CLT is essentially moving passengers from the crowded NYC Metro market to their hub operation in CLT.

PHL to JFK on E70 has nothing to do with the merger. The merger will require bigger planes because JFK's AA terminal is huge. So expect larger than an E70 from PHL to JFK.

You can do PHL to JFK right now on Delta and connect with their asian partners @ JFK. Or you can book Delta PHL to JFK and the asian carrier of your choice as a separate ticket.

Last edited by adamj023; Sep 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adamj023
Delta does PHL to JFK now. US after the merger with AA will indeed do PHL to JFK to make international connections.

JFK to CLT is essentially moving passengers from the crowded NYC Metro market to their hub operation in CLT.

PHL to JFK on E70 has nothing to do with the merger. The merger will require bigger planes because JFK's AA terminal is huge. So expect larger than an E70 from PHL to JFK.

You can do PHL to JFK right now on Delta and connect with their asian partners @ JFK. Or you can book Delta PHL to JFK and the asian carrier of your choice as a separate ticket.
USAirways International flights leave from PHL while its hub is in NC. So PHL to JFK allows international transfers without the extra stopover @ its hub in NC.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
USAirways International flights leave from PHL while its hub is in NC. So PHL to JFK allows international transfers without the extra stopover @ its hub in NC.
Both PHL and CLT are US hubs.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:41 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think many people fly JFK-CLT to make an international connection unless it's to South America and other points South/Southwest. There are plenty of JFK - Europe options on other airlines that are more appealing than flying 2 hours South, only to turn around and overfly JFK enroute to Europe.

I imagine that the CLT-JFK flight relies on *A connections.

AA did fly PHL-JFK years ago, but the route was never restored, which is surprising since they could capture some connecting traffic. It could be due to slot controls and maximizing yields with the slots they have available.

TWA also flew PHL-JFK back in the day, as well as Pan Am - both for the same reason of connecting passengers to their long haul flights.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by PHL
This is great. But the route will only thrive because people are making *A connections.
I'm surprised there's enough demand even for an E70... I'd expect a Dash 8 or a CR2.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHL
I don't think many people fly JFK-CLT to make an international connection unless it's to South America and other points South/Southwest. There are plenty of JFK - Europe options on other airlines that are more appealing than flying 2 hours South, only to turn around and overfly JFK enroute to Europe.

I imagine that the CLT-JFK flight relies on *A connections.

AA did fly PHL-JFK years ago, but the route was never restored, which is surprising since they could capture some connecting traffic. It could be due to slot controls and maximizing yields with the slots they have available.

TWA also flew PHL-JFK back in the day, as well as Pan Am - both for the same reason of connecting passengers to their long haul flights.
Example: USAirways flies from PHL to TLV. If you want to get on that flight from JFK you have to go from JFK to CLT to PHL to TLV if you want just to use USAirways or alliance partners.

It makes sense for a JFK to PHL to TLV flight with just one stopover instead. Obviously I am assuming the PHL to JFK will also go from JFK to PHL so in November one from JFK will be able to get on both PHL + CLT based connection flights.

I don't know why they eliminated it. Also they are expanding path service to Newark I heard or at least considering it and want to get more traffic to Atlantic City airport now.

Surprised JFK to PHL wasn't done by more airlines for connection traffic for those international flights but if USAirways is starting it back up that is a good thing.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:30 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to fly JFK to TLV on an alliance partner, you can take UA with two nonstop options from EWR. You can also take LH with a stop, along the route(FRA), instead of going to PHL or CLT. I really don't see New Yorkers going out of their way to fly JFK-PHL/CLT before crossing the pond. This flight is most likely to feed *A connections and nothing more.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:59 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Does it really matter why (*A connections or whatever)? Its a new flight to an airport that had no current service to PHL on US. Its growth and its on a larger plane (remember when CLT-JFK was all E170/5) not a Dash or CRJ like EWR and most of LGA and HPN. Just think it opens up possibilities.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Interestingly enough, most PHL-LGA flights are now mainly a mix of 170/175s and some mainline. Good stuff! Where did all the Dash 8s go though?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
Two things come to mind.
1. I think the talk of AA and the rational for this pairing is more than a wee bit premature.

2. I was under the impression JFK was slot controlled so how did US just come up with some if they didn't reduce their CLT flying?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:42 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoMiddleSeat
Two things come to mind.
1. I think the talk of AA and the rational for this pairing is more than a wee bit premature.

2. I was under the impression JFK was slot controlled so how did US just come up with some if they didn't reduce their CLT flying?

1.) Agreed

2.) Delta PHL-JFK service ends in early November right around the time US begins, so there will still be just one carrier serving the route. US either bought the slots or, perhaps, it was part of that larger slot swap deal (though I thought those were mostly LGA and DCA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.