Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is the last LAX-PHX so early?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, what US cares is the connecting traffic from LAX, rather than the LAXPHX O&D traffic. So, get them in (with time to spare for redeyes) for the last connecting bank out of PHX. Local passengers can fly others.

Not exactly great service for people based in PHX whose primary airline is likely to be US.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by croberts134
It looks like US continues the 9:30 PM flight when it has a sizeable bank of flights out of PHX - the "PHX flex".

In July, the flex operates a lot of the month and US has 7 flights a day including the 9:30 PM. In September, where the flex hardly operates, US mostly has 6 flights per day with the 5:50 PM being the latest.

From their perspective it makes sense, if you don't carry a large % of the local traffic (and WN will always be the preferred PHX local carrier), then there's no sense having a flight that doesn't connect to much.
What is the "PHX flex"? And whatever it is it seems that it only runs in the summer months as there was nothing after 5:30 for at least the next 7 months (at least on the random dates I checked).
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by username
Not exactly great service for people based in PHX whose primary airline is likely to be US.
And that is the crux of my issue. I'm not going to fly WN so I guess I'll have to either fly UA for that segment or see if I can make it to the BUR or LGB flights.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Let's say that LUV offers $69 advance purchase fares each way on it's later flights. US could put a plane on that route and fill it with $69 fares, or they could put the plane on a higher-fare (less competition) route from PHX (say PDX or SEA). As long as they can get their connecting passengers to PHX for those higher fare connections (ELP, etc.), then what do they gain by running late flight. Don't get me wrong...they cut late flights to my home airport in certain seasons from PHL and CLT...I don't like it, so I fly the competition when I have to.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PBIGuy
Let's say that LUV offers $69 advance purchase fares each way on it's later flights. US could put a plane on that route and fill it with $69 fares, or they could put the plane on a higher-fare (less competition) route from PHX (say PDX or SEA). As long as they can get their connecting passengers to PHX for those higher fare connections (ELP, etc.), then what do they gain by running late flight. Don't get me wrong...they cut late flights to my home airport in certain seasons from PHL and CLT...I don't like it, so I fly the competition when I have to.
I understand that and that may be the reason. I just thought it odd that there are at least 5 other aircraft flying US flights out of the Southern California airports after 6 PM. Is US really likely to get more traffic from LGB/BUR/SNA/ONT than it is from LAX? I know we cannot really answer that so it's just food for thought. Also, it seems that many of the late afternoon, early evening flights from LAX on WN are priced higher so there must be demand at that time of day.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Interesting thing.

I ran searches for every California airport to PHX and looked at the final departure time. Setting aside the itty-bitty destinations of MRY and SBP, every city in California has a PHX departure after 6:00 pm with nearly all of them being after 7:00 pm.

LAX and SFO are exceptions: SFO's last departure being 5:10 pm and LAX's being 5:50 pm.

Is this a function of the fact that there are non-stop east coast services out of these airports? Or is US lessening competition with United a bit? I noticed that SAN's service to PHX is at 7:15 pm (even though it has late night non-stop flights to PHL and CLT)...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
I'm guessing the only good explanation is that US uses LAX-PHX route mostly for the connections out of PHX. Later flights would need to be for the late night local traffic, which may not be worth serving given all the competition.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
US has significantly cut down on their number of flights between LAX and PHX. In the HP and just after the merger days I think it was between 8 and 10 flights a day including a ~9:30 PM flight and a ~7 PM flight. Sadly, UA has cut down on their number of flights on this route too from their peak of 6 in the mid-2000s. WN seems to be the way to go for frequency
Umm, you forgot that AA and DL have added several flights each per day on LAX-PHX. Even WN has cut back from its peak and, god forbid, you need to go to BUR or ONT. The number of flights from PHX - ONT/BUR is skimpy these days.

In addition, as the previous poster mentioned, US is primarily concerned with CONNECTING passengers through PHX, not necessarily local traffic. US has become quite adept at having more flights on peak days/times of year and fewer flights on low demand days/times of year.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Any chance that part of the answer involves the later flights being operated by Mesa? On the smaller RJ's they would have less costs? Do the RJ's have to pay a higher fee to fly out of LAX than the others?

Next week I'm flying into LAX and out of SNA but this was by design based on my schedule. I was surprised to get a $69 fare out of SNA with a week notice. (It is a mid-day flight and I'm guessing competition with WN factors in.)
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by formeraa
Umm, you forgot that AA and DL have added several flights each per day on LAX-PHX. Even WN has cut back from its peak and, god forbid, you need to go to BUR or ONT. The number of flights from PHX - ONT/BUR is skimpy these days.

In addition, as the previous poster mentioned, US is primarily concerned with CONNECTING passengers through PHX, not necessarily local traffic. US has become quite adept at having more flights on peak days/times of year and fewer flights on low demand days/times of year.
Umm, I forgot nothing. I said FREQUENCY. WN has 9x flights on a weekday, that's one more than DL and AA COMBINED.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Umm, I forgot nothing. I said FREQUENCY. WN has 9x flights on a weekday, that's one more than DL and AA COMBINED.
And frequency at WN, US, and UA has taken a hit because AA and DL have added flights. I thought we were discussing why US had cut back on frequency in the evenings. As I pointed out, the entrance of AA and DL has had a negative effective on US and WN frequencies. In addition, most airlines have gotten better at scheduling fewer frequencies at off-peak times.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by formeraa
And frequency at WN, US, and UA has taken a hit because AA and DL have added flights. I thought we were discussing why US had cut back on frequency in the evenings. As I pointed out, the entrance of AA and DL has had a negative effective on US and WN frequencies. In addition, most airlines have gotten better at scheduling fewer frequencies at off-peak times.
Is that really true though? Delta first introduced frequency in 2007 when they took over a bunch of ExpressJet flying. In the year or so they flew it before dropping it I don't think it affected US frequency on the route. I thought (quite possibly erroniously) that US pulling back on the route was more recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.