Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why am I always in last Zone?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Why am I always in last Zone?

I am star silver and I fly every week on US airways, but I use my united frequent flyer# for miles.

Q : My ticket/seat is always zone 4 or 5 every single week both ways. What factors contribute to this zone assignment and is there anything I could do to get a lower zone?

My co-passenger is a dividend silver member and he books his tickets same time as I do using the same booking site, but he always gets zone 2 or some times get upgraded to first class. I think the upgrading could be from dividend silver member.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: DL FO, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Metal
I am star silver and I fly every week on US airways, but I use my united frequent flyer# for miles.

Q : My ticket/seat is always zone 4 or 5 every single week both ways. What factors contribute to this zone assignment and is there anything I could do to get a lower zone?

My co-passenger is a dividend silver member and he books his tickets same time as I do using the same booking site, but he always gets zone 2 or some times get upgraded to first class. I think the upgrading could be from dividend silver member.
This is correct - Being Dividend Miles sliver confers upon your friend Zone 1/2 boarding (depending on seat selection) and occasional CPU's to F.

Star Silver doesn't get much other than a free checked bag (I think). I think as Star Gold, you get Zone 2 boarding.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OllieGator
This is correct - Being Dividend Miles sliver confers upon your friend Zone 1/2 boarding (depending on seat selection) and occasional CPU's to F.

Star Silver doesn't get much other than a free checked bag (I think). I think as Star Gold, you get Zone 2 boarding.
thanks for the clarification. I chose to use united miles# since I already had silver status with them and accrue the bonus 25% miles for a future rewards travel. Thankfully I don't have hefty carry ons with zone 545 boarding access
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:14 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
You can get Zone 3 boarding if you pick a seat in the back of the plane.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cwe84
You can get Zone 3 boarding if you pick a seat in the back of the plane.
seriously?

This friend of mine usually sits just one row ahead of me when not upgraded , but i am like in zone 5 for row 7.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: free agent
and I fly every week on US airways
OP - if you fly every week on USAirways, why don't you do a trial preferred? For $215, you can be silver on USAirways today - fly 7500 miles in 90 days to keep it for the year. From what I understand from my UA colleagues, silver on UA is next to worthless - even less so if you're not flying on them.

Just a sugegstion.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:03 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
seriously?

This friend of mine usually sits just one row ahead of me when not upgraded , but i am like in zone 5 for row 7.
By back of plane I mean the actual back of the plane not as a general reference to economy. The last rows of the plane are boarded after elites and specials. Zones 3-5 are back to front....
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:50 pm

If you are seated next to your friend, I believe you are entitled to board with him if you are travelling together, regardless of the zone listed on your boarding pass.

If you are travelling with him on business and it's possible to book your tickets together on the same PNR, you would receive the same benefits as him. Potential upgrade, baggage allowance, preferred seat selection, MoveUp fee waiver, etc. May well be worth investigating if you would prefer to collect your miles with UA.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cedric
If you are travelling with him on business and it's possible to book your tickets together on the same PNR, you would receive the same benefits as him. Potential upgrade, baggage allowance, preferred seat selection, MoveUp fee waiver, etc. May well be worth investigating if you would prefer to collect your miles with UA.
The downside is ... if there is only one F seat released for upgrade, the paired PNR will not get it, whereas a lone traveler on the PNR will (or might) get it.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
If you are seated next to your friend, I believe you are entitled to board with him if you are travelling together, regardless of the zone listed on your boarding pass.
100% correct. Board with your colleague in Zone 2, even if he is in 1st.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
OP - if you fly every week on USAirways, why don't you do a trial preferred? For $215, you can be silver on USAirways today - fly 7500 miles in 90 days to keep it for the year. From what I understand from my UA colleagues, silver on UA is next to worthless - even less so if you're not flying on them.

Just a sugegstion.
One reason to keep the miles with UA is that Mileage Plus awards have a fewer fees and are more flexible (one way, free changes up to 21 days out etc.).
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the suggestions and will explore.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:35 am

You could get the US Airways Premier World Mastercard. I know the Terms and Conditions state you need your Dividend Miles number as part of your reservation, but from what I've seen if you show the card they let you board in Zone 2.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's odd. Pre-Merger, a UA Premier got Zone 2, and the BP said "Premier" on it. Meanwhile, a Star Silver from another airline, CO for one, received a random Zone # (I would get 3, 4 or 5) and the BP would say "Star Silver". I guess post-merger they've gone to the former CO format.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkoehler
You could get the US Airways Premier World Mastercard. I know the Terms and Conditions state you need your Dividend Miles number as part of your reservation, but from what I've seen if you show the card they let you board in Zone 2.
thanks for the suggestion, but will pass on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.