Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning US miles on UA flight MAD-IAD "operated by Aer Lingus"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Earning US miles on UA flight MAD-IAD "operated by Aer Lingus"

Hi all,

This is possibly a question that has been asked before but I can't find an obvious answer anywhere. Simply:

Can I earn US miles on the direct UA MAD-IAD flights (UA7662/3) which are "operated by Aer Lingus"? Now obviously I know that the US "earn miles" page says that mileage earning is dependent on the operating carrier's agreement with US Airways, but these particular flights appear to be a special case. I don't think this is a simple UA codeshare with Aer Lingus (on which case I know I'd earn nothing) but rather more along the lines of where say Expressjet or SkyWest operate a service for UA (which happens all over the USA and on which I earn US miles).

Any hints / experiences would be appreciated, as these flights often come out cheapest!

Cheers

kingstontoon
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:16 pm

Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck. The flights are actually operated by Aer Lingus on their own jets (EI 6962/6963), and unlike the various United Express/Connection/etc. which are in Star Alliance, US has no relationship with EI.

Thus, I think flying a UA flight number on EI will get you what flying on EI directly would: nothing.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
but these particular flights appear to be a special case. I don't think this is a simple UA codeshare with Aer Lingus (on which case I know I'd earn nothing) but rather more along the lines of where say Expressjet or SkyWest operate a service for UA

kingstontoon
This is incorrect. XJ and OO operate under capacity purchase agreements as a United-branded product (UA Express). The Aer Lingus flight is a simple codeshare.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
Hi all,

This is possibly a question that has been asked before but I can't find an obvious answer anywhere. Simply:

Can I earn US miles on the direct UA MAD-IAD flights (UA7662/3) which are "operated by Aer Lingus"? Now obviously I know that the US "earn miles" page says that mileage earning is dependent on the operating carrier's agreement with US Airways, but these particular flights appear to be a special case. I don't think this is a simple UA codeshare with Aer Lingus (on which case I know I'd earn nothing) but rather more along the lines of where say Expressjet or SkyWest operate a service for UA (which happens all over the USA and on which I earn US miles).

Any hints / experiences would be appreciated, as these flights often come out cheapest!

Cheers

kingstontoon
I called the Gold line last week to ask about a similar scenario. I was looking at a UA/ANA itinerary from LAX-NRT. One option was listed as a UA flight but was operated by "Air Japan", which is a charter flight and cargo subsidiary of ANA. However Air Japan makes no mention of Star Alliance membership on their site, and US couldn't find it as a valid operator for earning miles.

I ended up booking on Singapore.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:31 am

These flights are described by United as a " United marketed codeshare service," and they do seem to be something of a special case within United's MileagePlus program:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...spx?ItemId=545

But as they are ultimately codeshare flights operated by an airline that is not a US partner, I wouldn't think they would qualify for Dividend Miles credit. It would be interesting to get a definitive answer ...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
From the US Airways website:

Code share flights with United Airlines flight numbers but operated by another airline will accrue miles based on the operating carrier’s agreement with US Airways.

So, since US has no agreement with Aer Lingus, there are no miles to be gained.

EDIT: Actually, MavSeven has already given the definitive answer -
Originally Posted by MavSeven
This is incorrect. XJ and OO operate under capacity purchase agreements as a United-branded product (UA Express). The Aer Lingus flight is a simple codeshare.
So, as soon as you see Aer Lingus codeshares say "operated by Aer Lingus DBA US Airways Express / UA Express", you will start seeing your miles posting.

Last edited by burlax; Apr 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Given the variance in opinions here, it might be best if the OP simply calls the US Air customer service line in the UK to get the correct information from the horses mouth.

I've no clue as on the one hand, UA is a *A partner, yet EI is not a *A carrier and US does not have a relationship with EI.

No sense kicking a can up the road. Contact US directly, but do let us know what you find out.

good luck,

Barry
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
All,

Thanks very much for your advice. If I ever receive a definitive answer from US, I'll post back (although I fear it will probably be a "no").

Cheers

Kingstontoon
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: US CP and 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; MARRIOTT PLAT
All,

Thanks very much for your advice. If I ever receive a definitive answer from US, I'll post back (although I fear it will probably be a "no").

Cheers

Kingstontoon
My wife had a similar experience and it was a DEFINITE NO. But then she ended up getting UNITED miles which she used to get Harper's magazine...not that terrible afterall...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Camarones
I called the Gold line last week to ask about a similar scenario. I was looking at a UA/ANA itinerary from LAX-NRT. One option was listed as a UA flight but was operated by "Air Japan", which is a charter flight and cargo subsidiary of ANA. However Air Japan makes no mention of Star Alliance membership on their site, and US couldn't find it as a valid operator for earning miles.

I ended up booking on Singapore.
Air Japan, Air Nippon and other ANA subsidiaries flights qualify for mileage credit. The airplanes share the same colors and logo and there is a tiny mention on the fuselage indicating which subsidiary it is. Most HNL flights are operated by Air Japan, I think some NRT-SIN flights are Air Japan as well. Means nothing. Years ago FAs were sporting a different uniform, now it's all the same. As long as it's a NH flight number and operated by any NH subsidiary, you are fine.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MavSeven
The EI flight from IAD-MAD is considered by UA for all practical purposes the same as flying on UA. It counts to lifetime miles, and one of the 4 required segments.

But as always, metal matters.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Exclamation

I have taken this flight before, and you CAN get miles.

Although calling usAir, they may tell you no, this flight is more than a simple codeshare with UA. You check in at the UA desk, the flight occasionally has UA FA's, UA magazines, and even the CBP on arrival in the US want the UA flight number, not the EI one. The miles posted like any other UA flight.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by usAir
I have taken this flight before, and you CAN get miles.

Although calling usAir, they may tell you no, this flight is more than a simple codeshare with UA. You check in at the UA desk, the flight occasionally has UA FA's, UA magazines, and even the CBP on arrival in the US want the UA flight number, not the EI one. The miles posted like any other UA flight.
I think you are right, one of my kids' neighbors in Phoenix took that flight as well and his US DM account was credited in full. It is indeed for all intents and purposes a United flight and in this case the metal it's on plays no role.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I think you are right, one of my kids' neighbors in Phoenix took that flight as well and his US DM account was credited in full. It is indeed for all intents and purposes a United flight and in this case the metal it's on plays no role.
OK, but it should be noted that if the OP chooses this flight, they have no recourse if the credit doesn't post automatically.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
OK, but it should be noted that if the OP chooses this flight, they have no recourse if the credit doesn't post automatically.
Since there is nothing in writing on the US website, this is the risk he/she would take. And there is always the US flight out of PHL to fall back on. Very nice Envoy suites I must say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.