Wiki Posts
Search

US offers me "Buy Up to Preferred" to PP and CP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
US offers me "Buy Up to Preferred" to PP and CP

I was PP the past year and only qualified for GP for this year. I had 52,879 PQM in 2011. I just received an email offer from US to Buy Up to PP for $920.00 and to CP for $1394.42. Both amounts are pre-tax.

Anyone know how those dollar amounts are calculated?

BTW, it would seem to me that if I were going to buy-up to PP, I might as well buy-up to CP for the extra $474.42.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I was PP the past year and only qualified for GP for this year. I had 52,879 PQM in 2011. I just received an email offer from US to Buy Up to PP for $920.00 and to CP for $1394.42. Both amounts are pre-tax.

Anyone know how those dollar amounts are calculated?

BTW, it would seem to me that if I were going to buy-up to PP, I might as well buy-up to CP for the extra $474.42.
It's based on how many miles short you were:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html

The prices in the e-mail do not include the Federal Excise Tax (which is included on the DM website)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Did it actually quote the dollar figure in the email? I just got my email and it mentioned buying up from PP back to CP, but no price. I figured I had to log in to the site to see the dollar amount.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
They're really pushing the buy-up. If I do it, it'll be March 1st or later so I can actually buy back a LOWER level. They forget that part in their marketing.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mudfish
Did it actually quote the dollar figure in the email? I just got my email and it mentioned buying up from PP back to CP, but no price. I figured I had to log in to the site to see the dollar amount.
It's not quoted in the email. It's a little trick to find. The email will get you to this page. Once there, click on "Buy up to Preferred today" and you'll be prompted to fill in three items. Do that, then your exact amounts needed to buy-up will be shown.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
They're really pushing the buy-up. If I do it, it'll be March 1st or later so I can actually buy back a LOWER level. They forget that part in their marketing.
I'm confused by this one. Please explain.

(Or are you being facetious, joking that you will "buy" whatever level you already have for 2012 for zero dollars? )
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Gold, National Emerald Executive
"On March 1, 2012 you’re going to lose your Gold Preferred status. This means you’ll drop down to Base."

Not a good sign for those of us hoping for a soft landing.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
It's based on how many miles short you were:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html

The prices in the e-mail do not include the Federal Excise Tax (which is included on the DM website)
Ha! I'm an idiot for not noticing! Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by grinch26
"On March 1, 2012 you’re going to lose your Gold Preferred status. This means you’ll drop down to Base."

Not a good sign for those of us hoping for a soft landing.
US makes it easy to maintain status if you have the cash. Why would you expect a soft landing?

Most carriers won't do it. UA dropped me from 1K to Premier. Had I not qualified, they would have had no problem dropping me to gate lice - without an easy way to keep any sort of status.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA, DL
Originally Posted by tommyleo
It's not quoted in the email. It's a little trick to find. The email will get you to this page. Once there, click on "Buy up to Preferred today" and you'll be prompted to fill in three items. Do that, then your exact amounts needed to buy-up will be shown.
I am currently platinum but with limited travel last year I received the email that I would be dropping down to silver. Given the option to buy up and when I go through the steps I only have 2 options: buy up to platinum or CP. What happened to gold? Is there any benefit to buying up NOW or just waiting until after Mar 1st?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Both my wife and I are CP but we will both drop to GP. Yet, neither one of us has received an email about the pending change. Anyway, I think I will buy-up one of us to get the CP certs for European travel this summer.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Both my wife and I are CP but we will both drop to GP. Yet, neither one of us has received an email about the pending change. Anyway, I think I will buy-up one of us to get the CP certs for European travel this summer.
Smallest sliver of hope you might get a soft landing to Platinum?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by liwarren
...I only have 2 options: buy up to platinum or CP. What happened to gold? ...
As I understand it, Gold is not an option now since you're presently at a higher level. On or after Mar 1 (when you drop to Silver), the Buy Up to Gold/higher is possible.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by liwarren
I am currently platinum but with limited travel last year I received the email that I would be dropping down to silver. Given the option to buy up and when I go through the steps I only have 2 options: buy up to platinum or CP. What happened to gold? Is there any benefit to buying up NOW or just waiting until after Mar 1st?
Not sure marketing and IT are in sync ... The IT is conditioning everything on where you are at a given moment, so as a Platinum there is no ways to "buy up" to Gold.

Unless I am missing something, there is zero benefit to buying up before 1 March ... and potentially some costs (at least for those who are getting soft landings -- see above).
Old Feb 21, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Not sure marketing and IT are in sync ... The IT is conditioning everything on where you are at a given moment, so as a Platinum there is no ways to "buy up" to Gold.

Unless I am missing something, there is zero benefit to buying up before 1 March ... and potentially some costs (at least for those who are getting soft landings -- see above).
I don't exactly know how the system works, on the other hand, you may be able to confirm your options of going for different levels via means of logging on to the https://www.usairwayspreferred.com/u...nticate.action.

There's a possible benefit of buying up now as opposed to later in that one could get more bonus miles if one needs to travel during the first week of March, e.g. if I were to drop to GP I would only get 50% bonus miles for my travel on 1st of March. On the other hand, I would get 100% bonus miles if I were to buy up to CP from now till 1st of March.

It's fun to see the marketing department being so creative in trying to wring every dollar out of its customer base: few hundreds for the lounge access, few hundred (or thousand for some) for the status...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.