Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short connection time at CLT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Short connection time at CLT

Hi. Leaving out of TRI to MCO and in Charlotte the connection time is 40 min. I'm familar with the Charlotte airport, but I'm afraid this is too short. It says TRI to CLT is a 1 hr flight, which I know it's shorter but I'm assuming they are allowing for traffic, parking etc. What do you think? We have a flight out of MCO that evening on a different airline we have to be on. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta/Gold
I make international connections through CLT a few times a year with just under 1 hour transit and it's not been a problem. CLT is a great airport.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
I don't ever have a problem on the morning flights; sometimes there are issues later in the day when flights get delayed. In most cases though, you should be fine. The walk between concourses isn't bad.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Your first flight is express and your second is mainline. If you are delayed even a bit getting into the E concourse and are connecting to a gate at the far end of B or C it can be a haul. Also, I'd probably avoid gate checking my bag, sometimes that can hold you about another 10-15mins waiting for the bags to be brought up.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Originally Posted by ellinj
Your first flight is express and your second is mainline. If you are delayed even a bit getting into the E concourse and are connecting to a gate at the far end of B or C it can be a haul. Also, I'd probably avoid gate checking my bag, sometimes that can hold you about another 10-15mins waiting for the bags to be brought up.
Connecting from E to B or C is definitely possible in 40 min, but unless you really move it will be pretty tight. Try to sit in the very front of the plane if possible.
I agree I would avoid gate checking bag.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I know most of the people on here forget that people check their bag but don't check your bag at all (gate or otherwise). 40 minute connection is doable for baggage connecting, but it'd be iffy, especially interline. I've connected a handful of times at CLT (which is odd since CLT is my home airport, but it does happen occasionally), 40 minutes should be fine. I'd be a bit leary of doing it if the flight you are connecting to is the last flight of the day or is the last flight that gets you where you need to be on time because the downside of mis-connecting would be much higher, otherwise I'd probably do it.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:39 am

My regular connections in CLT are 35-50 mins and luckily I've made them all. When you said We, are kids involved? That may make it a bit more cumbersome. I agree with the others for a strategy: Sit up front and avoid the gate check at all costs.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:25 am

I have done a connection in 5 minutes across B & C, after a late arrival from BNA. Unfortunately, checked luggage didn't follow, heh. Otherwise, the usual 35 minute connection is more than sufficient time for me to also get some wine at the US Airways club.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
From my experiece of ML to express, its doable. Make liberal use of the moving sidwalks.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by ITRADE
From my experiece of ML to express, its doable. Make liberal use of the moving sidwalks.
If they are working.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:19 pm

I've done the 35-50 mins in CLT several times in the past year...never had a problem with bags or myself. In fact, I think only once had they even started boarding when I got to the new gate. And all but one was ML - EXP
Shouldn't be a problem at all with delays...but since you have a different airline out of MCO if it's not on the same ticket... I'm might think otherwise if there are no other options to MCO that get you there in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.