Community
Wiki Posts
Search

invol downgrade -- ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

invol downgrade -- ?

I recently flew Houston to Charlotte. I am a gold preferred member and when I checked in was assigned seat 3C from IAH-CLT on US1978. I checked in almost 4 hours prior to departure so my first class seat was confirmed and I was given a F class boarding pass. I went about my business, but when I attempted to board the flight my pass scanned and sent off an alarm. I was taken aside and told by the gate staff (and manager) that they had made a terrible mistake and had given my confirmed seat in F class to another customer, who had already boarded and taken my seat. They appologised and said no other F class seats were available. I demanded denied boarding compensation but was given none and was told to complain to USAirways and that this would all be noted in the reservation for compensation. I was then thrusted a new boarding pass for row 22F in economy. I complained but was told we cant do anything, we are sorry for the mistake and involuntary downgrade.
Very odd right?
any recourse or is this the situation of the difference in fare is $0.00 sorry buddy.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your situation is expressly not IDB under the DOT rule. You were not "bumped" from the flight and a downgrade, even if you were in paid F, is not denied boarding.

You don't say whether you were in paid F (or any other discounted FC such as A) or whether you paid for a seat in Y and got a freebie UG.

Under the COC, you are entitled to a cash refund (to the form of payment used) of the difference between the class of service paid and the class of service flown. If you were in paid F (or any form of discounted FC seat), you should see the difference between that and the best Y fare available at the time of the downgrade. Not to raise your expectations, but on a full flight, that might well be full Y or B and the difference between that and F might be very little.

If, on the other hand, you were on a freebie UG, you are not entitled to anything. Nonetheless, a no frills, just the facts complaint to CS should yield you something by way of a CS token (a few miles, a certificate for something or the like). The shorter and less judgmental the complaint, the better the token is likely to be.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Well, at least it wasn't a middle seat you got tossed back to, even if it was pretty far back.

Since it sounds like it was the free upgrade benefit, US isn't required to give you compensation. However, you might be able to get something relatively small as Often says by complaining, especially since you presumably lost the nicer coach seat/exit row you could have had in coach when you got the upgrade as a preferred customer.

If I was to guess, I'd guess you might have been bumped for a Federal Air Marshal that US doesn't have the option of not seating in first class.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:26 am
Original Poster

yea it was a preferred upgrade, so im not expecting anything. Still a major bummer though
also def was NOT an air marshall - I saw the guy in his 70's when i boarded. Staff told me they simply accidentally sold him a cash upgrade....
thanks.
haha
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
In your complaint letter, you should specifically request some kind of voucher that entitles you to a free upgrade on a future paid flight. That way, US is giving you back exactly what they took from you by their admitted mistake.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Gold, National Emerald Executive
If the OP is Gold he receives complimentary upgrades, so I would suggest the OP request something other than a voucher that entitles him to a free upgrade on a future paid flight.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by grinch26
If the OP is Gold he receives complimentary upgrades, so I would suggest the OP request something other than a voucher that entitles him to a free upgrade on a future paid flight.
This is where having a published "downgrade kit" would really go a long way in making downgraded customers feel whole again. Sure, it was a free upgrade, so the OP is not technically entitled to any compensation, but the tenets of good customer service state that when you give an elite a free upgrade, and then take it away, you leave that customer in a worse of state than if you had never given them the free upgrade to begin with. It's just not a very good way to run a business.

Is US doing anything wrong by not giving downgraded customers compensation? Not really. But they're certainly not doing anything right.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does this mean that the US policy is that the first person to board keeps the upgrade? If it was sold at the airport to a lower tier or non elite, that person should have been booted back IMO.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
I had a similar situation happen to me, but I was denied F BC they swapped birds. I ended up in bulkhead (not bad), but complained anyways.

Long story short, $50 e-credit for both myself and the mrs.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Sounds like the GA wanted their commission for selling the cash upgrade. They should have cancelled the other pax's upgrade and sent him back to his original coach seat.

How is it possible to "accidently" give away your seat when you've already checked-in for your flight and hold a BP?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I have no idea how it happens. Hopefully first and last for me.
I enjoy my upgrades, frankly its why I always fly us even when they cost more, on business or leisure.
will let u know if i hear anything back. Not expecting anything, but I like to be surprised
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
Sounds like the GA wanted their commission for selling the cash upgrade. They should have cancelled the other pax's upgrade and sent him back to his original coach seat.

How is it possible to "accidently" give away your seat when you've already checked-in for your flight and hold a BP?
Yeah, that's what I was trying to figure out. I've been bumped back because a seat breaks, or equipment change, but because someone else got the same seat? The only valid answer I could come up with was a FAM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

And here is the swift reply (less than 24 hours)

Dear Mr.CLTF

Thank you for contacting US Airways.

We apologize for the difficulties you encountered. The experience you
described is certainly not characteristic of the superior service we
strive to provide.

Unfortunately, we do not offer compensation for a Preferred
complimentary upgrade when the First class seat is made unavailable due
to operational needs at the airport.

While we do understand your frustration, we are unable to provide
compensation for the flight.

Thank you for writing and allowing us this opportunity to explain our
position. We value your business and active participation in the
Dividend Miles program and hope to continue to be your carrier of
choice.

Sincerely,

Ms. XXXX XXXXX
Preferred Dividend Miles Service Center
US Airways

-------------

pretty sad in my opinion to basically say - sorry we dont care, but keep giving us money!

odd.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
It sucks but if it's an upgrade, no recourse. One reason to board early and fast before everyone is settled. If you both get there at the same time, more likely the tie breaker is who was assigned seat first. Get there late and possession becomes 100% of the law.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's original post did not make clear that he wasn't on a paid F ticket. All it takes is for a misconnecting F pax to show up and that UG is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.