Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded at checkin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Downgraded at checkin

LGW-CLT: Good news, equipment swap to 330-200 with new envoy, bad news, you have been downgraded because of less seats. The reason I don't use the upgrade certificates but they happened to be available on my itinerary so I threw caution to the wind.

What makes me angry is that they called me four days ahead of departure and asked if I could delay my return until the next day when there was availability in envoy. I said I couldn't reschedule but as I was travelling throughout Europe that week I could reroute through any of a number of cities such as Paris, Brussels or Amsterdam. They said they would call me back if that was necessary.

Check-in online 24 hours prior and reserved 1A (configuration showed 330-200 seating). At airport next day pulled aside and told of downgrade, they stated anyone with non-envoy fare (i.e. upgrade or reward tix) was downgraded. I wasn't angry because of the downgrade but was angry because they never called me back on the option to reroute.

What if any, should I ask for in compensation? Already told me I would get my upgrade certificates back. Experience in coach was not so bad as they blocked the seat next to me in bulkhead which gave me room to spread.

Last edited by zeke320; Jan 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm Reason: error
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by zeke320
LGW-PHL: Good news, equipment swap to 330-200 with new envoy, bad news, you have been downgraded because of less seats. The reason I don't use the upgrade certificates but they happened to be available on my itinerary so I threw caution to the wind.
I take it you're CP - damn, that's too bad
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by zeke320
Check-in online 24 hours prior and reserved 1A (configuration showed 330-200 seating). At airport next day pulled aside and told of downgrade, they stated anyone with non-envoy fare (i.e. upgrade or reward tix) was downgraded.
Frustrating for sure... Seems like a last-minute swap on the inbound aircraft as 24 hours prior to your flight, everyone still thought it was a A333. Even if they had notified you as soon as the London bound aircraft was known to be a substitute, it's doubtful you could have made to any of the "nearby" US-served cities in time to catch the same day's return. Although you possibly could have gone to the other London departure airport IF they have Envoy inventory there AND the CP desk was willing to re-route any onward connection. (You said "LGW-PHL" which they don't fly; PHL-LHR and CLT-LGW are the city pairs).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I am CP and sorry, it was LGW-CLT. Assumed they knew of the downgrade when they called me four days prior to departure as they stated as such on the phone. Inquired about LHR but they said no availability. Thought about DUB but it didn't seem worth the risk of trying to make the connection from LGW-DUB even if it was available.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: US Silver Preferred, Delta
I was on the same flight last Friday. But was 1H confirmed at 24H they also called 4 days prior. I didn't have the cell on. They bumped me down because I was an award resv. They told me that all fare passengers remained up front but the awards were bumped out.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
I guess you can ask for compensation according to UE regulations for involuntary downgrade? From what I remember reading on other threads, it is a few thousand euros of compensation. But it's not easy to get of course...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Interesting travel patterns. I just got off US 733. Envoy was booked about 16 out of 30 (old config 333).

Coach apparently had all of about 70 people in it.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Customer relations follow-up

Heard back from customer relations on the matter via email, apologies of course but no compensation offered even in the form of voucher, etc. Have not checked to see if my international upgrade certificates are still available for use as promised at LGW. They seemed to miss the point about my offer to reroute to maintain envoy seat based on statement below.

'Based on the information you have provided, it appears our representatives attempted to contact passengers’ in an effort to reroute passengers due to the change of equipment. Our records indicate your seat was not altered until the day of departure, January 27, 2012. Again, I truly regret any inconvenience or discomfort this caused'
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
You're entitled to statutory compensation of what could easily be several thousand dollars. www.euclaim.co.uk
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Comp

I would insist on getting miles!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:55 am

I've been in a similar downgrade situation. In my case, I bought a GoEnvoy upgrade for $600 the day before the flight. There was no equipment downgauge, and I was able to checkin and had my Envoy boarding pass in hand marked with the seat I had chosen the previous day.

I was notified of the downgrade only 20 minutes before boarding when the gate agent called the Envoy Lounge (may it rest in peace) and the agents there paged me to the desk. The gate agent informed me that "Envoy was overbooked" and that, as the only upgrade, I was being kicked back to coach. Of course, I suspected something else was going on, as Envoy isn't supposed to be overbooked, but it was clear I wasn't going to get a satisfactory reason for the downgrade, so I didn't argue the point.

Not only was US not proactive or apologetic in the situation, but they also refused any form of compensation. I tried escalating the issue several times with customer relations, but never got anywhere. Even a small voucher would have shown me that they recognized the inconvenience and wanted to make some amends. But no go. This is certainly a case where my CP status meant nothing.

More than compensation, though, I wanted to make sure they understood that there was a problem, that they didn't handle it correctly, and that they should do a better job, especially when it involves one of their best customers. I never got any indication that my message was heard. They were only concerned with pointing out that this issue is not one for which they issue compensation.

Although I'm generally happy with US and see value in maintaining my CP status, this situation left a very bitter taste. I can see that I'm not alone.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Please tell us that you got your $600 back.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:54 am

The worse thing about this is not only are you downgraded from Envoy, but in my husband's case last fall was downgraded (due to plane swap) to something like row 30, next to the lav, next to a very large passenger. I told this story once but worth repeating for your amusement: after his downgrade at the gate (DUB/PHL) the plane departed, only to turn around 30 mins. out for a mechanical issue. After sitting on the tarmac for many hours, plane disembarks and everyone put up overnight in Dublin. The next day he is re-ticketed back in Envoy and figures he lucked out. NOT----downgraded AGAIN at the gate! This time at least he managed to score the exit row and free drinks in coach. Re-telling this story to emphasize that US is not set up to deal well with unexpected issues, even in Envoy....
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kimharp
...US is not set up to deal well with unexpected issues, even in Envoy....
Is any airline good at this?

Anyway, good story.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Please tell us that you got your $600 back.
Sorry. I forgot to tell that part of the story.

Yes, in the end I did get my $600 refunded, but not automatically. It happened only after I contacted customer relations, who in turn contacted the refunds department.

This is another way that US fails in situations like this. I have every confidence that, had I not requested the refund, they would still have my $600.

I mentioned this annoyance in my emails to them, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.