Wiki Posts
Search

Northeast snow/ice/sleet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Northeast snow/ice/sleet

Gonna be a rough day in DC and to the Northeast (including PHL). ATC is calling for low ceilings and visibility with snow, freezing rain, and ice pellets (fancy name for sleet). The weather service is calling for up to 1" in DC, 3-5" in NYC and 2-4" in PHL/BOS.

Jim
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Gonna be a rough day in DC and to the Northeast (including PHL). ATC is calling for low ceilings and visibility with snow, freezing rain, and ice pellets (fancy name for sleet). The weather service is calling for up to 1" in DC, 3-5" in NYC and 2-4" in PHL/BOS.

Jim
Glad I am in High Point today! We will get our annual snow soon.
Jimbo
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LUS DM CP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Emerald Exec
Yes it was a difficult day - made it FLL/DCA/BOS by about noon before the worst of it came down, but had to drive down to PVD, serendipity though because brother was going PHL/PVD and that was cancelled so he didn't make it at all. Still blowing around quite a bit and snowing, definite change of pace from South Florida. Wasn't a bad ride DCA-BOS in E190 - a little rough on approach but not anything to write home about.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Left Pvd st 615. Glad I missed it.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: US
Left EWR around 11 this morning. Things were still running pretty smoothly, other than a ~30 minute delay waiting to get de-iced.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Virginia Gentleman
Left EWR around 11 this morning. Things were still running pretty smoothly, other than a ~30 minute delay waiting to get de-iced.
Did you arrive on time or close to it? I'd imagine that schedules would include this possibility at this time of year otherwise they might have a ton people missing connections.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: US
Originally Posted by ellinj
Did you arrive on time or close to it? I'd imagine that schedules would include this possibility at this time of year otherwise they might have a ton people missing connections.
We got in 30-40 minutes late. Lots of folks were bolting from the arrival gate to try and make connections. I made mine, but only because it was delayed as well. Hopefully things sped up at EWR later in the day.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
Traveled on Saturday 1/21 due to a cancelled redeye to CLT on Friday. SFO-CLT was on time, but CLT-BOS was almost 2 hours late due to aircraft delay in PHL. It was a loooong day and there were no upgrades available on either flight.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LUS DM CP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Emerald Exec
long day indeed - although US came through big time and got me to BOS on time at noon - but then had to shovel out a vehicle myself to take from lot at National as staff was swamped, and took 2+ hours to drive BOS-PVD (about 40 miles) as traffic was creeping along - PVD ended up with a good 1/2 foot of snow, mostly mush now as I think it was going to rain there today.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Today was a long day for me (not to mention I did LAX-CLT-DCA yesterday) ... today, DCA (the 3:30pm departure took off at 4:20pm) to CLT to SAN - the SAN part has to wait until tomorrow (actually today, in about 7 hours)

... took off from DCA about an hour late, but with inflated travel times, and a scheduled 75 minute layover at CLT, should have been no problem

... but the problem was, we circled around CLT for an hour plus - landed around 6:20 pm (yes, that time is right hahaha) ... and of course SAN flight was only 10 mins late (departed at 6:20pm instead of 6:10pm)

So I called the CP desk, got rebooked, and I layed my head in the USAir club drinkin' beers & watching TV for a couple of hours, while the mob was at the Special Services counter acting up

Got a hotel voucher, went down to the pickup area, but that was no good - hotel van driver wouldn't let me on the van - said the hotel was sold out ... got another voucher for a 2nd hotel, and that was good -- good is relative, as I am watching the Zenith TV, straight out of the 1980s right now haha

... well, until tomorrow
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by radiotvlaw
long day indeed - although US came through big time and got me to BOS on time at noon - but then had to shovel out a vehicle myself to take from lot at National as staff was swamped, and took 2+ hours to drive BOS-PVD (about 40 miles) as traffic was creeping along - PVD ended up with a good 1/2 foot of snow, mostly mush now as I think it was going to rain there today.
It was a more southern storm. I live in the city and we got maybe 3", which has now melted because it's 50 degrees today. Of course, the baggage handlers at Logan took 45 minutes to get our bags on the belt, using the snow as an excuse.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by BOS2DCA
Of course, the baggage handlers at Logan took 45 minutes to get our bags on the belt, using the snow as an excuse.
IMO 45 min was a great job, unless you've done it you have no idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.