Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Non-Preferred Offered "Buy F" at +5 Days (But confirmed after Elite upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-G/*G, SPG-G, MR-G, Avis-F

Going PHL-MCO this Saturday with my daughter, her hubby and their 2 kiddies....

My wife and I are in F (used miles for the UG at the time we booked). The rest booked in coach at a pretty low fare ($250-ish/RT). Today, my daughter called me to say that she got an email offer to buy up to F for $50/ea. Of course, she jumped on it.

I'm wondering why they were offered this at the +5 day mark, ahead of the P, G & S elites for auto-upgrade. I'd be really pissed off, as a P/G/S, if I knew that I missed out on an UG, because of this. In fact, I'm still kind of pissed, since I had to use miles for my UG. Albeit, this was my choice at booking. But, still...

Has anyone heard about this type of offer before.

...?!?!?!?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Yes. Parents were offered it before and after Christmas. It's not clear to me that non-elites offering to pay go ahead of elite upgrades. One accepts the offer and gets wailisted - First isn't immediately confirmed.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:12 pm

The way I understand the program is that they'll email certain people offering the upgrade, but it won't clear until after all preferreds are processed at 2 days prior to departure.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mykle
The way I understand the program is that they'll email certain people offering the upgrade, but it won't clear until after all preferreds are processed at 2 days prior to departure.
I believe this is correct, so Preferreds would not actually be missing out on upgrades because of this practice.

To the OP, in my experience, I've always found MCO to be an extremely easy route to get a complimentary upgrade on, due to how leisure-oriented the route is...so maybe hold of on burning those miles at booking next time!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: US-G/*G, SPG-G, MR-G, Avis-F
Thanks for the replies... after further review with my daughter, she did agree to buy, but will not be confirmed until 24 hours prior. Whew!!

And, my experience with MCO is hit or miss on UG's... many touristo's use miles to take their families there. In the summer, UG's run at well below 50%.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is another way to generate $$$, however I'm wondering why on a flight frm PHL-MCO it is only $50 when PHX-SAN it is $100....

Originally Posted by FlyNhighAgain
Going PHL-MCO this Saturday with my daughter, her hubby and their 2 kiddies....

My wife and I are in F (used miles for the UG at the time we booked). The rest booked in coach at a pretty low fare ($250-ish/RT). Today, my daughter called me to say that she got an email offer to buy up to F for $50/ea. Of course, she jumped on it.

I'm wondering why they were offered this at the +5 day mark, ahead of the P, G & S elites for auto-upgrade. I'd be really pissed off, as a P/G/S, if I knew that I missed out on an UG, because of this. In fact, I'm still kind of pissed, since I had to use miles for my UG. Albeit, this was my choice at booking. But, still...

Has anyone heard about this type of offer before.

...?!?!?!?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is another way to generate $$$, however I'm wondering why on a flight frm PHL-MCO it is only $50 when PHX-SAN it is $100....
Depends on how much people are willing to pay, what kind of plane is flying, what time of year it is and probably also how many seats are left. I'm sure the GoUpgrade price is not the same for the same route every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.