Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PP Status Extended to Feb 28, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Nice! Just put my info into that link and it looks like they awarded me Silver status through next February. Had no status last year and ended up with 19,500 EQM - 10K of which is from the M/C and 5K due to the Grand Slam!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by bevoinva
Nice! Just put my info into that link and it looks like they awarded me Silver status through next February. Had no status last year and ended up with 19,500 EQM - 10K of which is from the M/C and 5K due to the Grand Slam!
This is a fascinating and -- to me, at least -- surprising thread.

Before I launch into why I am surprised, let me state explicitly that I am -- sincerely -- pleased for those who got statuses maintained, a soft landing, etc. Good for you ! Also, I have no knowledge about how to run an airline (well, how to run a lot of things ... but you get my point).

So here's my surprise, or naivete, or inability to read closely:

The status year runs until 29 February 2012. Folks now still have whatever status they had obtained as of 31 December 2011, whether it was for miles flown in 2010 or miles flown in 2011. The miles flown in 2011, of course (and when I say "miles flown," I am including credit card and other PQM bonuses), are supposed to be determining the status that one will have effective 1 March 2012.

There is the possibility that the status effective 1 March 2012 will be something different from that on the basis of 2011 miles flown, but that is US's look-out ... for them to know, and for us to find out.

But find out how ? Is there normally something that shows us, between 1 January 2012 and 29 February 2012, what (minimal) status US will be according us between 1 March 2012 and 28 February 2013 ? I don't think so (but if I am wrong, you can quit reading here, and I'll expunge or edit this post ....)

It does turn out, however, that this link will reveal this information to you. But why would anyone go to this link (absent learning about it via FT) ? Only if you were actively considering buying up, on the assumption that your 2011 miles were just not getting for you what you wanted. Of course, it is a bit more complicated, because, as others have pointed out, you can't buy up without falling down first. But I think that my point still remains -- that these are people considering paying.

So if I were US (I am not), I would say, "Gee, maybe we wait 'til 1 March to do these 'enhancements,' since some of these good folks might be ponying up in the meantime." Or, better still, until 10 March, after they have had a week or so to stew.

No, you might say, that is not good business ... don't treat your valued customers that way. And, by the way, it is for US to decide who the valued customers are, not you or anybody else.

True, true, and fair enough. But that being the case, since some people have clearly been identified by US as valued customers slated for maintenance and or upgrades, why would you not let them know directly ? Why would you wait for them to stumble on this fact as several have here ? (Or, as someone said in a slightly different context, "the whole point of the Doomsday Machine is lost if you keep it a secret.")

This sounds like arguing, but it is really curiosity, since I'll be in the same boat sooner or later.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Jan 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm Reason: added Dr. Strangelove reference
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Interesting post, Biggie Fries, and you are on to something. Why give it away early when some may pay for it - you can always give it away later to some of those that do not pay.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
They sure have some amusing numbers for me. I have no US status but was interested in seeing what they would say. Based on my 0 PQMs/0 PQS last year I'm offered:

Silver: $1,394.42
Gold: $2,324.65
Platinum: $2,789.77
Chairmans: 3,720.00

I wonder what they don't just round? $1400, $2325, $2800 etc. Also, why would anyone not pay the extra $500 and change to get Plat over Gold? Strange.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by CMK10
They sure have some amusing numbers for me. I have no US status but was interested in seeing what they would say. Based on my 0 PQMs/0 PQS last year I'm offered:

Silver: $1,394.42
Gold: $2,324.65
Platinum: $2,789.77
Chairmans: 3,720.00

I wonder what they don't just round? $1400, $2325, $2800 etc.
Taxes ... multiply by 1.07-something

Also, why would anyone not pay the extra $500 and change to get Plat over Gold? Strange.
Grist for my mill -- that the Gold / Platinum distinction is the thinnest one on the board. My ranking:
  1. Silver vs. Dirt
  2. Chairman's vs. Platinum
  3. Gold vs. Silver

4. Platinum vs. Gold
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Taxes ... multiply by 1.07-something

Grist for my mill -- that the Gold / Platinum distinction is the thinnest one on the board. My ranking:
  1. Silver vs. Dirt
  2. Chairman's vs. Platinum
  3. Gold vs. Silver

4. Platinum vs. Gold
Oops, should have thought about taxes! And your Platinum vs. Gold point is interesting...I did always wonder why they kept four tiers.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Only $2,789.77 for me to keep CP.

Mine doesn't show my 2012 status, but I assume that with only 14 segments I'll drop to my default 2MM'er Silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.