Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help, Left Ipod on flight.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Help, Left Ipod on flight.

I was flying on a US Air flight on Monday and just realized I left my IPod in the seat back. Anyone have any experience with this and any advice on how I should attempt to recover it? Thanks so much.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
The bagagge department at the airports usually handle lost and found. You should start with the airport that you landed at, but also try to track down where the plane was headed after that. The outstations are usually pretty easy to get a hold of a person, but at a hub its more likley you will just have to leave a message and hope someone calls you back if you find it. I believe the baggage numbers are located on the usairways website.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Yes. I'm very good at putting my iPod in my lap when the "turn off electronic devices" announcement is made, and getting up to deplane and forgetting it's in my lap.

I'm down about 3 iPods only to have zero of them returned to me.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: US Gold; National Executive Elite; Hyatt Platinum
I did same thing a few months ago

I called same day...talked to a lot of people but got nothing but "ill take info and call u if it turns up"

And some quiet laughter

I now obessively search seatback prior to deplaning

Good luck
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: Several
My father actually had a rather good experience with US Airways when he left his wallet on a plane. He was flying ORD-PHX, his home being in Chicago so his wallet had about $400 in cash for the trip. He realized after he picked up his checked bags what had happened, and he did all of the necessary forms and story telling to US Airways while he was still at the airport.

They said they would call him back if/when they locate his wallet. A few days turned into a 2 weeks and no call. By this time, he was back in Chicago after going through all the red tape with the TSA to travel without a photo ID. Amazingly, US Airways found the wallet and mailed it to him (I believe, I'll have to double check how that ended up working out).

Even better, the $400 in cash was still in his wallet! We were both expecting the cash to be gone, and he was ahead of the game and already canceled all of his credit cards. Honestly though, I feel this was a luck of the draw scenario. It helped that he was still at the airport when he discovered his wallet missing, but I surmise that a honest passenger found it and turned it in.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
I left a Nook in the seat back pocket once and realized that day. I went back to the airport and spoke to the ticket agent. He called to PHL where the plane went after AVP then out to PIT where the plane was headed next. I spoke to a baggage handler who promised to check the plane once it landed.

I then got a call from the ticket agent at my home airport, it turns out that as soon as they closed the door for the flight back to PHL someone found it and turned it into the FA. Once the plane landed in PHL they put it back on the next plane to AVP and I was able to pick it up. Everyone was very helpful.

An iPod might be a bit easier for someone to justify keeping, particularly since you need to register a Nook to be able to download books.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
I'll ask this again: WHY DO PEOPLE PUT PERSONAL ITEMS IN THE SEAT BACK POCKET?

Failing to plan is planning to fail. Not putting items back in their place after you are done using them increases your chances by 100% of losing/forgetting them later. On my last two flights, a colleague found an iPad in her seat pocket and the next flight I found a Kindle in mine. Fortunately we are honest people, but sadly, not everyone in this world is the same.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Dirt (fmr Plat), US Airways CP, Continental Silver, Marriott (almost LT) Plat, Starwood Gold
I once left a laptop in the seat back pocket of an AA flight BOS-ORD. I didn't realize it until about an hour later and when I called the elite number (this was in 1999) I was told that they found it after it landed in the next location and would be flown back to ORD within 24 hours. And it was. Amazing.

But, I got incredibly lucky.

All of these technologies today are incredibly portable. Anyone can wipe any Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android phone, tablet, PC, etc. Use a password and your content (may be) safe. But the device is still gone. If you leave something on the plane - my advice is to either file a replacement claim with your credit card company (if it's new) or just log onto Amazon.com the next chance you get an order a new one to arrive at home when you do.

Lost on a plane = gone forever (with few exceptions).

Before I de-plane on every flight I take everything out of the seat back pocket to make sure I didn't leave anything. While safe, this is often disgusting (you'd be shocked at what I've found).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.