FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Elite boarding lane testing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1245363-elite-boarding-lane-testing.html)

skipdawg Aug 7, 2011 10:53 pm

anything is better than doing nothing to fix the gate lice situation. looking forward to seeing it go company wide.

dtremit Aug 8, 2011 10:39 am

Originally Posted by drowelf (Post 16877503)
I primarily fly another airline (CO) these days and they have dedicated elite/FC and general lanes. It does not prevent me having to elbow my way past the crowd if I get to the gate a little late. So don't expected it to really solve the issue. Its nice, especially if you do get to the gate late and general boarding has started, but I've not seen it reduce the congestion during boarding.

It doesn't reduce the congestion during elite boarding, but in practice it seems to afterwards -- as once general zone boarding starts, there's generally a pretty well defined line that you can cut across.

Of course, if (as seems to often be the case) you arrive at the gate 30 seconds after the posted boarding time, and they're already on Zone 4, the elite lane won't get you past the line extending halfway down the jetbridge.

Still, really glad to see this being tested. Seems like a no-brainer given US' preference for "revenue neutral" enhancements.

US @ DEN Aug 8, 2011 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by skipdawg (Post 16878723)
anything is better than doing nothing to fix the gate lice situation. looking forward to seeing it go company wide.

true true. better late than never.

i'd like to see flight information monitors installed at the gate too...with the upgrade and standby lists, flight info (time, meal options, weather, etc) similar to their competitors (UA, DL, CO, maybe others?). One can hope, right?

PHL Aug 8, 2011 3:14 pm

With regards to elbowing your way past gate lice, I often just say "Do you know which group they are boarding?" Based on that answer, I may follow it up with "are you in line?". That usually gets me past them with few glaring eyes.

The elite boarding lanes are a good improvement. Took them long enough. One reason I've stuck mostly with AA is for their long standing "Priority AAccess" lines.

Centurion Aug 9, 2011 1:01 am

What gate was the picture taken at so I can direct United to pick up their stolen sign?.:D

ellinj Aug 9, 2011 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 16886133)
What gate was the picture taken at so I can direct United to pick up their stolen sign?.:D

A21 :D

CMK10 Aug 9, 2011 3:11 pm

While I am really happy they're doing this, why does every airline have to call their brand something dumb? Premier Access? Breezeway? (Now retired thankfully) etc. and now Fastpath? How about "First Class/Elites Here"?

ariyo15 Aug 9, 2011 5:24 pm

:(

Didn't see it on either of my flights (YVR-PHX-PHL) today. Hopefully on the way back to YVR. Ugggh.... Please let this roll out system-wide... SOOON!!

SteelerVol Aug 9, 2011 8:29 pm

Plat or chairman would be great. Too many silvers/gold

tommyleo Aug 9, 2011 9:52 pm

Why do they need to test this?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Just do it, for silly's sake.

GotCalcio4 Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am

Originally Posted by US @ DEN (Post 16883218)

i'd like to see flight information monitors installed at the gate too...with the upgrade and standby lists, flight info (time, meal options, weather, etc) similar to their competitors (UA, DL, CO, maybe others?). One can hope, right?

US management has said that they don't believe that investment is worthwhile, so don't hold your breath.

steve65341 Aug 10, 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by US @ DEN (Post 16883218)

I think this would only make sense if they changed the way upgrades are done to something more like United where upgrades are only awarded immediately before the flight. The great benefit of this one would be the potential to "move up" to an earlier flight and still get upgraded or retain an upgrade in the event of a missed connection. It should also ensure that people that are on paid F seats actually get one if things change the day of.

US @ DEN Aug 10, 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by steve65341 (Post 16895617)
I think this would only make sense if they changed the way upgrades are done to something more like United where upgrades are only awarded immediately before the flight. The great benefit of this one would be the potential to "move up" to an earlier flight and still get upgraded or retain an upgrade in the event of a missed connection. It should also ensure that people that are on paid F seats actually get one if things change the day of.

I guess you are one of the very lucky US FFers where all of your upgrades get processed prior to day of departure...from that viewpoint, I can understand the reduced value of such information display at the gate. However, I assume there are others like me...even at the PP level...where upgrade emails never come through (either confirming or stating unavilable) and my upgrade IS awarded immediatley before the flight.

I am either handed a new boarding pass while boarding or I have to be added to the list by the GA because I was not previously on there and generally bother them for a status update. I have also been pulled from my Y seat and moved to F several times.

I was hoping by investing in a gate display system, it would provide more information for the passenger on where he/she stands on the list and how many F seats remain open / held for last minute sale. I do believe this would be an improvement for most preferred passengers and save GAs time for upgrade lice (admittedly like myself from time to time) because inconsistent information can be provided related to upgrade priority.

FlyingPLD Aug 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by US @ DEN (Post 16895923)
I was hoping by investing in a gate display system, it would provide more information for the passenger on where he/she stands on the list and how many F seats remain open / held for last minute sale. I do believe this would be an improvement for most preferred passengers and save GAs time for upgrade lice (admittedly like myself from time to time) because inconsistent information can be provided related to upgrade priority.

The easier and more inexpensive choice here would be to release an iPhone/android app that offers standby and upgrade lists. It would take less time to roll out, and it would cost US a lot less, making it more likely.

ByrdluvsAWACO Aug 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Why must US be late with any positive changes, but first with anything that dumps on customers?

Originally Posted by US @ DEN (Post 16895923)
I was hoping by investing in a gate display system, it would provide more information for the passenger on where he/she stands on the list...

AA has had this for years. It is nice to know what position you are on the list.

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 16883465)
One reason I've stuck mostly with AA is for their long standing "Priority AAccess" lines.

It does come in handy when you're running late for your flight.