Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many small U.S. airports are served exclusively by US Airways?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

(usually US Airway Express flights)
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
PGV (Greenville, NC) is one that comes to mind ...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kudzu
PGV (Greenville, NC) is one that comes to mind ...
I just flew Delta to Greenville a couple of week ago. There were many other airlines as well.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by ToniCounter
(usually US Airway Express flights)
Very few these days.

Technically, none since they're all EAS airports served with turboprops by a separate carrier that splits revenues with US in exchange for using the US brand and US doing the res/ticketing and usually handling at the hub end of the flight. Those flights are handed out by the FAA to carriers that apply to operate them and are subsidized by the government.

That's a completely different arrangement than most of the other Express affiliates have where US basically pays the operating cost of the flights plus profit and has complete control over where/when the planes fly and keeps all the revenues.

Jim
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Very few these days.

Technically, none since they're all EAS airports served with turboprops by a separate carrier that splits revenues with US in exchange for using the US brand and US doing the res/ticketing and usually handling at the hub end of the flight. Those flights are handed out by the FAA to carriers that apply to operate them and are subsidized by the government.
It's not true that every airport that is served only by US-coded flights is EAS. One example is HVN, which is only served by Piedmont from PHL but is definitely not EAS. I think IPT and SBY are also not EAS. There are probably some others. Your basic point is right that these are airports served only by US-coded flights operated by regional partners, rather than by US itself, but the EAS part isn't necessarily true.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by ToniCounter
I just flew Delta to Greenville a couple of week ago. There were many other airlines as well.
You are likely thinking of GSP (Greenville, SC), rather than PGV (Greenville, NC).
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
I believe FLO is a awe only airport now, delta pulled out around the first of the year.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Not mentioned so far:

Flagstaff, AZ (FLG) is now that AS pulled out.
Bar Harbor, ME (BHB)
Presque Isle, ME (PQI)
Hilton Head, SC (HHH)
Lynchburg, VA (LYH)
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Platinum 50+
Originally Posted by CMK10
Not mentioned so far:

Flagstaff, AZ (FLG) is now that AS pulled out.
Bar Harbor, ME (BHB)
Presque Isle, ME (PQI)
Hilton Head, SC (HHH)
Lynchburg, VA (LYH)
As of last summer anyway, IPT (Williamsport PA) was a one-gate USAirways regional only, operation back and forth to PHL.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adkrick
As of last summer anyway, IPT (Williamsport PA) was a one-gate USAirways regional only, operation back and forth to PHL.
IPT was mentioned in post 5, but I did come across it on my research. I see they dropped service to Lancaster, PA sometime in the last few years.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:31 am

Us airways eas cities

There are only THREE at this time: BAR HARBOR which expires 10/31/2012
PRESQUE ISLE 5/31/2012
PLATTSBURG 6/20/2012

ME Bar Harbor Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport Boston Colgan Air
dba US Airways Express Saab 340/34 $2,298,533 1997-2784 2010-9-28 October 31, 2012
ME Presque Isle Northern Maine Regional Airport at Presque Isle Boston Colgan Air
dba US Airways Express Saab 340/34 $2,812,853 2000-8012 2010-6-5 May 31, 2012
NY Plattsburgh Plattsburgh International Airport Boston Colgan Air dba US Airways Saab 340/34 $2,117,101 2003-14783 2010-3-27 & 2010-3-32 June 30, 2012
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
SBY definitely
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by excop48
NY Plattsburgh Plattsburgh International Airport Boston Colgan Air dba US Airways Saab 340/34 $2,117,101 2003-14783 2010-3-27 & 2010-3-32 June 30, 2012
what do the dollar figures on these examples represent?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Augusta, ME?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by dcpatti
what do the dollar figures on these examples represent?

The $$ amount shown is the annual federal government subsidy provided to the airline to operate the Essential Air Service route to/from the specific city.

The EAS is (in my opinion) one of the largest nationwide pork projects the United States has ever had.

Take Morgantown, WV. (MGW) 90 minutes south of Pittsburgh, but it was deemed to need air service, so the federal government pays Colgan 1.5 million a year to fly that route.

20 miles to the south of Morgantown is Clarksburg, WV (CKB). The airport here also was deemed to need air service, so Colgan receives another 1.5 million a year to fly to Clarksburg.

Clarksburg also sees its fair share of charter flights for West Virginia University's athletic teams/opponents, as MGW's runway cannot handle the larger (737 and up size) planes.

All flights Go either IAD-MGW-CKB-IAD or IAD-CKB-MGW-IAD.

I've flown to CKB three times now, and each time, I'd say there were 10-15 people on the flight. Most go to Morgantown.

Some 60 or so minutes west of the two also lies Parkersburg, WV, yet another city which was deemed to need air service. Gulfstream receives 2.7 million a year to service that city.

A similar situation exists in Nebraska with Kearney and Grand Island Airports being 20 miles apart, and both receiving funding. I flew to Grand Island once, and was the ONLY passenger on the plane, and I was rerouted due to irrops precluding me to get to Omaha. Had that not happened, the plane would have gone out empty, something the ground crew in Grand Island happens a few times each week! (Yet the airline still gets a subsidy, regardless of passengers flown!)

Take a look at:

wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_Air_Service

U'll be amazed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.