Wiki Posts
Search

Status of E+ on UA for US elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum
Status of E+ on UA for US elites?

I recently booked an itinerary on UA for the first time in a while. I was under the impression that US elites (I'm a PP) now (as of sometime around the merger) get E+ seating. I selected E+ on my flights. The web site asked me to confirm, but showed no charge, so I thought it was just a formality. Now, I have a charge of $196 on my credit card.

Before I call to get this sorted out, I wonder if anyone here can tell me what the policy actually is at this point.

Thanks-
Eric
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Complimentary UA E+ seating for US and other *Golds was unilaterally withdrawn some years ago.

Some US FFs have reported that nice UA agents have provided E+ at airport without charge when asked nicely, but YMMV.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: US-CP/SPG-Plat
kudzu is correct based upon my experience. While there is not an official program, and if you call the 800# they will not help, most gate agents will help out if asked. My corp travel puts my United FF# in the res. I go to the gate agent and ask for my US Air # to be put in, when they see that I am Chairman, they usually give me a better seat.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I have had good luck getting moved to an exit row seat if the flight is full in E- and asking nicely at the gate, but it all depends on the agent. I've also noticed that when I add my DM# (which adds the pretty insignificant *Silver status) at the gate, it changes the color of the BP.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: USairways, United, Hilton, Marriott
Depends on the GA

As a US Gold/Plat/CP I've had luck getting E+ on United about 50% of the time. I always ask the GA nicely. I'm a US Air Club member and once got E+ on A SEA-ORD flight from the desk clerk in the RCC.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: US Gold, SPG Gold
Even as a *S on US, I've had good luck in asking nicely, and if there are a lot of seats in E+ left, getting moved up.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Also, if you book late or don't try to get a seat assignment until E- fills up, you can often get put in E+ by the kiosk when checking in. This strategy can however result in no seat assignment however on the day of departure, but if you have *G or *S status you'll likely be fine.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: US DM Preferred nothing
US *G LAS-DEN yesterday, all I got was 'Elite Access' on my BP, still sat in 24C :| Gate agent was no help. Oh, and there were 4 empty FC seats.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
I had fairly decent luck politely asking RCC matrons if I could "get a better seat" and presenting my boarding pass (with OnePass/MP number on it) and US Airways silver preferred card, along with explaining that I am a US*Silver but am choosing to accrue miles on UA/CO now.

There is definitely no published benefit.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I recently had some interesting experiences with the E+ issue while flying PHL-LAX-PHX/PHX-SFO-PHL on UA. Here's the link to what happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.